Thread: Back to School

vCash

Back to School

Here is an article from the CDC concerning the reopening of schools and the importance of reopening. It is a lengthy article but worth the read.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-schools.html

I'm for kids going back to school although I would not criticize a parent who did not feel comfortable with sending their child. Where I do have an issue is when that parent makes unfounded statements or criticzes parents who want to send their kids back.

I've read almost every back to school plan in the Jackson Metro area (private and public) because it directly affects my business. I've also spoken with several administrators, teachers and principals. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the decisions being made have been agonizingly difficult for many of these schools. They are being bombarded daily from both sides of the issue on when to reopen and how to reopen.

The facts are as of yesterday there were a little over 4,700 cases of COVID-19 for children 17 years old and younger. Zero deaths and 51 hospitalizations (1%). This comes directly from MSDH.

As a parent it is ultimately our responsibility to do what we believe is in the best interests of our children, not the school board or the government. If you don't feel comfortable sending your child to school, great. I'll support you in that decision. Just don't criticize me for making a different decision.

vCash
    I'm starting to think we don't get all the way through football season .... Just topped 4 million cases with heavy expectations of a logarithmic type spread ... Trump just cancelled GOP convention in Jacksonville ... While I'm not one of the virus choir boys I'm beginning to feel like this just isn't going to go away as soon as we thought or hoped ... If my children were still school age I think I would opt for the virtual route even though my wife was a teacher
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I'm starting to think we don't get all the way through football season .... Just topped 4 million cases with heavy expectations of a logarithmic type spread ... Trump just cancelled GOP convention in Jacksonville ... While I'm not one of the virus choir boys I'm beginning to feel like this just isn't going to go away as soon as we thought or hoped ... If my children were still school age I think I would opt for the virtual route even though my wife was a teacher
    Here's the thing. We just topped 4 million cases. Let's just assume for shits and giggles that 10x that number in the US have actually caught it. So 40 million.

That means there's another 290 million people who haven't caught it. That's a lot of people. And everyone is going to get it at some point. First time through a population like this means that very likely the vast majority would get it.

So we've got a long long way to go before this becomes manageable or something we can treat.

vCash
    I am a teacher and I have a kid in elementary school. I will be teaching and she will be in class.

I don’t say that to down play the virus either. I wear mask when out and try to distance. But the reality is that these young kids in particular need to be in school when to them this virus has proven to be almost a non issue. High school kids are a little different as they could be ok with distance learning.

And the reality for our family, as my wife works in the medical field that sees patients from all over this state as well as others, is we will have it or probably already have had it. So there isn’t really an increased risk for us to be back at school while there is a risk of my kid being behind where she needs to be from an educational standpoint.

I also have no problem with parents that don’t want their child going back. That’s a decision for them to make. And I know some teachers that have legitimate concerns about returning, but I also know some teachers that have been traveling around enjoying this extended break that are merely looking for another month of pay without work. They also seem to be the most vocal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    Here is an article from the CDC concerning the reopening of schools and the importance of reopening. It is a lengthy article but worth the read.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...g-schools.html

I'm for kids going back to school although I would not criticize a parent who did not feel comfortable with sending their child. Where I do have an issue is when that parent makes unfounded statements or criticzes parents who want to send their kids back.

I've read almost every back to school plan in the Jackson Metro area (private and public) because it directly affects my business. I've also spoken with several administrators, teachers and principals. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the decisions being made have been agonizingly difficult for many of these schools. They are being bombarded daily from both sides of the issue on when to reopen and how to reopen.

The facts are as of yesterday there were a little over 4,700 cases of COVID-19 for children 17 years old and younger. Zero deaths and 51 hospitalizations (1%). This comes directly from MSDH.

As a parent it is ultimately our responsibility to do what we believe is in the best interests of our children, not the school board or the government. If you don't feel comfortable sending your child to school, great. I'll support you in that decision. Just don't criticize me for making a different decision.
    I don't see how anybody can criticize what others do for their children. People should do what they think is in the best interest of their kids all the time.

My kids' school is offering distance learning. We are signing her up for that for the first 9 weeks, then we will reevaluate. My wife works in health care and several hospitals are filled up right now. For the most part, it isn't our daughter that we are worried about - it's her bringing it home to us or my wife's parents. If they had to go to the hospital right now, we would be out of luck. NMMC is sending virus patients to smaller local hospitals because Tupelo is full. So, because of that, we are keeping her home. I hope we can send her back for the 2nd nine weeks. She is in elementary school , and I agree- kids need to be in school.

vCash
    The MRA (Madison Ridgeland Academy), in Madison, MS football team is practicing. A good sign anyway!

vCash
    My district just pushed our start date back a few weeks and everyone will start back with distance learning...gotta figure out a way to get some of them interwebs out here to the boonies now