Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Should MSU Fans Look At MSU Athletic Budget?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpile View Post
    2013-2018 we've banked $48 million. (quickie math from THIS website)
    Man, that's a helluva website find.

OK - $48 million in the bank. To me that gives us security for a number of things - an unexpected coaching staff buyout; a need for a major salary adjustment, economic fall out from a shit season, a matching fund for a donation to ramp up some sort of opportunity (say some said I'll give you $10 million for the Hump Reno, but I want it matched dollar for dollar within a year or you lose it).
    Other schools/athletic programs have large endowments to help with stuff like this, and we don't. It has been a factor in holding us back. I think it has been smart to take this approach.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

OK - $48 million in the bank. To me that gives us security for a number of things - an unexpected coaching staff buyout; a need for a major salary adjustment, economic fall out from a shit season, a matching fund for a donation to ramp up some sort of opportunity (say some said I'll give you $10 million for the Hump Reno, but I want it matched dollar for dollar within a year or you lose it).
    Other schools/athletic programs have large endowments to help with stuff like this, and we don't. It has been a factor in holding us back. I think it has been smart to take this approach.
    Good point on some other schools having large endowments that provide the emergency fund. We certainly need to build that up so that we can actually spend the money the have
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We have done a ton, but with the amount of money we are making and saving, it's clear that we should be doing more. Unless Cohen and Keenum know of some reason to be running an overly frugal budget that other SEC ADs are unaware of.
    I am curious to know what this "more" is that you expect us to be doing. As I laid out, we've addressed pretty much every sport in recent years and don't have plans of stopping anytime soon. The Hump will be renovated pretty soon, then the expectation is that we'll have a football-only practice facility and additional DWS renovations in the next 5-10 years, and I'm sure there will be other areas we address from there. The one area I do think we could probably spend more is in recruiting, but facilities-wise I feel like we have handled things pretty well based on what one could realistically expect us to do.

I just think it's easy to say "we should be doing more" but I feel like it's important to acknowledge all that we have done and also clarify what you think we should be doing.

Another important thing: There are only about 15,000 members of the Bulldog Club. People want to give opinions on how the athletic department should spend its money but can't give a $100 a year to help support those goals.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 07-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    I am curious to know what this "more" is that you expect us to be doing. As I laid out, we've addressed pretty much every sport in recent years and don't have plans of stopping anytime soon. The Hump will be renovated pretty soon, then the expectation is that we'll have a football-only practice facility and additional DWS renovations in the next 5-10 years, and I'm sure there will be other areas we address from there. The one area I do think we could probably spend more is in recruiting, but facilities-wise I feel like we have handled things pretty well based on what one could realistically expect us to do.

I just think it's easy to say "we should be doing more" but I feel like it's important to acknowledge all that we have done and also clarify what you think we should be doing.

Another important thing: There are only about 15,000 members of the Bulldog Club. People want to give opinions on how the athletic department should spend its money but can't give a $100 a year to help support those goals.
    Money isn't the issue. We're the 5th most profitable department in the SEC.

We have a trailer home in our south EZ, a box tree stand as our press box, the East side concourse is a mess, and our indoor facility is worse than most Texas HS.

Hey, we're in the black though. Like lots in the black.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash

We have a trailer home in our south EZ, a box tree stand as our press box, the East side concourse is a mess, and our indoor facility is worse than most Texas HS.

All of which are multi-million dollar projects. So, if we are saving money, that could be part of the plan to address those issues.

One of the things that you do on major gift funding campaigns is do a feasibility study to determine your fundraising capacities and the willingness of your donor base to give. I could totally see our donor base - after having done the football facility, the Mize basketball center, the NEZ, the softball and tennis facility, the track, the golf facility, the Dude, and an indoor tennis facility within a 10 year period - being stretched thin. It looks like we potentially anticipated some of that by our budgeting. That is not a bad thing.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

1. I don't love the end zone seating either but there are pretty clearly plans to replace those with a more permanent premium seating option at some point in the coming years.

2. The press box is the one part of the stadium that doesn't make the school a dime. I've been in that press box more times than I can count, and yes it does suck. But there is a reason renovating it is not incredibly high on the list of priorities. We don't gain much from renovating that, other than the media gets to have a slightly more comfortable experience while they do their job? OK? We are justified in prioritizing other things. It's an area that's mostly inaccessible to and unseen by fans.

3. East side concourse will be renovated in the coming years.

4. We are building a new football practice facility at some point in the next few years.

I don't even disagree with you that most of those items need to be addressed... But I feel it's pretty common knowledge that those things are on the agenda to get addressed in the near future. So maybe acknowledge that before complaining about them.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 07-23-2020 at 11:09 AM.

vCash
    Any Ole Miss coach that is making more than 100K is taking a pay cut due to Covid....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

I'm a really frugal person IRL, and while I'm not a Larry Templeton, I like the fact we have bank reserves to draw on for unforseen events just like the pandemic.

You made mention of endowments, and they are usually earmarked by the benefactor to go towards a specific area. So, even if State had a huge endowment like Vanderbilt most of it would not be available to athletics.

There were rumors several years ago about the Wade family creating a 9-figure endowment for athletics. I never saw any evidence other than message board chatter that was a fact.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpile View Post
    I'm a really frugal person IRL, and while I'm not a Larry Templeton, I like the fact we have bank reserves to draw on for unforseen events just like the pandemic.

You made mention of endowments, and they are usually earmarked by the benefactor to go towards a specific area. So, even if State had a huge endowment like Vanderbilt most of it would not be available to athletics.

There were rumors several years ago about the Wade family creating a 9-figure endowment for athletics. I never saw any evidence other than message board chatter that was a fact.
    The endowment is real but it is earmarked from what I understand and was split 50/50 (or something like that) between academics and sports (all sports)

I, too, can be a bit frugal so I like seeing money set back for unforeseen circumstances or large projects to just pay cash and replace with donations. It’s also my understanding that there are some pretty big restrictions on where the money comes from for buyouts. If the money is generated by the school I don’t know if more than $250k of it can be touched for salaries or buyouts per year.