Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Kiffin to resign on Friday, Napier is the new coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    We never talked to Napier. We did have some very limited convos w his agent.
    True.. we put feelers out to three coaches. Once leach said yes I would talk we went all in. Napier told us wait til after bowl. JC and staff decided all in on ML

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    True.. we put feelers out to three coaches. Once leach said yes I would talk we went all in. Napier told us wait til after bowl. JC and staff decided all in on ML
    Nobody else in the rumor mill was even close to as good a hire as Mike Leach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Nobody else in the rumor mill was even close to as good a hire as Mike Leach.
    That's the thing that kind of confused me about Judge. I'm sure he interviewed very well obviously since the Giants hired him but as of now he has zero head coaching experience. Technically less than Moorhead did and has a similar resume' at this point in his career as Croom. Leach has an almost 20 year track record of experience at this point.

How excited would our fans have been if we hired Judge and then brought in Derek Dooley as our OC?

vCash
    I feel like judge and Napier were largely smokescreens in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I heard we offered Judge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Nah Judge was all but coming here until NY decided to give him the job. I don't think anyone expected him to get that job, including him. All things considered, I'm happy that it worked out the way it did, but I very much would've been on board with a Joe Judge hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Nah Judge was all but coming here until NY decided to give him the job. I don't think anyone expected him to get that job, including him. All things considered, I'm happy that it worked out the way it did, but I very much would've been on board with a Joe Judge hire.
    What about Judge would've excited you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    What about Judge would've excited you?
    Experience under Belichick and Saban, as well as the assistants that were rumored.

Again, I'm very happy with the way it all played out. We got the best available coach. I'm just saying I don't think Judge would've been a disaster like some.

vCash
    Mike Leach was a home run hire. Napier would have been safe but he would have left us in a New York minute. Judge might have been the surprise of the century but his resume was lacking in a few areas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Mike Leach was a home run hire. Napier would have been safe but he would have left us in a New York minute. Judge might have been the surprise of the century but his resume was lacking in a few areas.
    It was more than a home run. It was a walk off grand slam to win a super regional. Everything else he had done up to that point had been a super 17up. Moorhead, Canzero, letting Lemonis move on, everything.

vCash
    letting Lemonis move on
    Am I missing something here?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Am I missing something here?
    Agree. Whoa Nellie! Where did that come from?

ETA: Surely he meant Mullen right?
    Last edited by maroonmania; 07-25-2020 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Oh come on. He was just having an affair, sexting from the dugout during games, and lost the team because he was focusing on a different third base. Since when is that grounds for dismissal?

vCash
    Nm
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 07-25-2020 at 10:23 PM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Oh come on. He was just having an affair, sexting from the dugout during games, and lost the team because he was focusing on a different third base. Since when is that grounds for dismissal?
    Since Richard Williams at least, or maybe even since Babe McCarthy.**
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Experience under Belichick and Saban, as well as the assistants that were rumored.

Again, I'm very happy with the way it all played out. We got the best available coach. I'm just saying I don't think Judge would've been a disaster like some.
    What assistants did you hear would be coming with him?

Given their track record experience under Bellichick isn't necessarily a plus for me. He's not like Bill Walsh where he would groom guys to be head coaches. He wants coaches that know his system and fit his system and to stay around for a long time. Neither Saban nor Bellichick like to replace coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What assistants did you hear would be coming with him?

Given their track record experience under Bellichick isn't necessarily a plus for me. He's not like Bill Walsh where he would groom guys to be head coaches. He wants coaches that know his system and fit his system and to stay around for a long time. Neither Saban nor Bellichick like to replace coaches.
    Aaron Feld as strength coach. Will Hall as OC. Tosh Lupoi as DC/DL coach. Jody Wright in some capacity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post

ETA: Surely he meant Mullen right?
    Nope, Lemonis. (Edit: I should have said Henderson. I am dumb. )

For him to take over like he did, hold the team together, and get to Omaha. I think that deserved a very serious effort to keep him. One I don't think we made.
    Last edited by Mobile Bay; 07-26-2020 at 07:32 AM.

vCash
    Nope, Lemonis.

For him to take over like he did, hold the team together, and get to Omaha. I think that deserved a very serious effort to keep him. One I don't think we made.
    Henderson not Lemonis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    Henderson not Lemonis.
    You are correct, I R Dumb. I got them backwards.