Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pac12 players threatening to boycott

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    These people trained somewhere to get drafted as an intern. Major businesses arent signing interns out of HS
    Nope. These interns are paying massive student loans or their parents have spent a ton on their education.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Nope. These interns are paying massive student loans or their parents have spent a ton on their education.
    They pay the price to be drafted by bigtime companies. Just like athletes do.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    My apologies... I will do better
    Lol. I was expecting more.

vCash
    They pay the price to be drafted by bigtime companies. Just like athletes do.
    Yeah. I was actually agreeing with you.

vCash
    What college did those interns educate themselves in before becoming interns? They dont graduate HS and then become interns in most major businesses
    We start hiring as Freshmen.

One of them is on the Board of Directors now (15 years later).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I wish I could have gotten an internship that paid my room, board, tuition, and any other fees. Sign me up for 4 years of that.
    You would have worked 50 hours a week for no pay, and just room and board for 4 years? I'll take you up on that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    This type of thinking is destroying this country.

Paying people to work is destroying the country?

How so?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Internships are used for recruitment of high performing students to maybe eventually joining that company. It?s no different then recruiting a 4 or 5 star player, ie, paying them to sign that LOI.
    And unpaid internships don't last 4-5 years. They last a college semester. And if the benefit of the internship is for the Employer, ( like say making millions of dollars of the labor of the intern), It's illegal.

That's the point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    All players aren't equal. Why should the third string Sr get paid money based on your theory. Walk on? Those guys aren't seeing much more than scout team action.
    What about the female soccer players nobody watch? With title 9, football can't suck up all the benefits. It's Pandora's Box.
    And I've got a college athlete that would benefit. I have no problem with school and living expenses, but that's it.

Does it benefit the school or the player?

Let's see what happened with N&L...

vCash
    Wait a minute how did PAC12 players get involved in internships discussion? Asking for a friend**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Yes, I would say that to anybody that was not satisfied going to college for whatever reason. College was supposed to be an investment in ones future, to learn a profession that requires years of study and one that would serve you well for your entire career. If you don't have what it takes to graduate or if you are unsatisfied with college itself, or if you do not see the value of a college education, then why stay, obviously you have other plans or desires. Pursue them, whatever they are!
    Totally agree. Getting a college education is primarily for getting a person the credentials needed to get the job or career they want to have. If you can get that job/career after finishing 2 years in college or even no years in college then the utility of college disappears. If players have a gripe about being stuck in college when they could go pro the gripe is with the NFL not the colleges. The NFL sets their own parameters on what age they are willing to draft or sign a player. I would LOVE it if football was like baseball where the NFL had their own minor leagues. I personally love supporting MSU football, just like MSU baseball, and if a player doesn't want to be at MSU or doesn't want to be a college student then I wish there was a way for him to hone his football skills without being forced to be a college student. As long as everyone is playing by the same rules I would still love MSU football all the same. And if they did that, I wouldn't give a rip about minor league football just like I don't give a rip about minor league baseball. A big reason college football does as well as it does is because it has a built in loyal fanbase no matter who the players are. As an alumni of MSU I am much more loyal to MSU teams than I would be of a team for a city I just happen to be living in.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 07-22-2020 at 10:05 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    We start hiring as Freshmen.

One of them is on the Board of Directors now (15 years later).
    Sorry, I don’t believe your company is hiring paid interns as freshman in college...and not to mention they still have to you know, go to school for a few years before they even get paid intern opportunities for a short time. But nobody is paying interns starting as freshman, every week while they also attend school. Maybe you mean something else but if not, that’s a huge stretch to believe students are working as paid interns for the entire time they also are in college

vCash
    And unpaid internships don't last 4-5 years. They last a college semester. And if the benefit of the internship is for the Employer, ( like say making millions of dollars of the labor of the intern), It's illegal.

That's the point.
    It’s an invalid point. The intern is also benefitting from learning in their field prior to having the degree and getting real world application experience. The company gets to see if the students aptitude will benefit both for a full time position when they graduate. But to your false logic of your example, then the 100 workers of a company who directly contribute to a company making $100 MIL deserve half of that income, no matter if they work clean up, assembly, manager, VP, etc.? That’s your example? Yeah that’s not anywhere in the realm of the galaxy illegal. Absurd example

vCash

That's the point.
    So, the college athlete is getting nothing in return for his scholarship?? A very, very small opportunity to play NFL ball, but a very, very big employment opportunity that was free to him/her family.

Internships are just like recruiting kids, you think that they could be a good fit in your system/business that?s why you are lifting your dress and showing them a peak underneath.

Paying college athletes would RUIN college sports....period!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    It’s an invalid point. The intern is also benefitting from learning in their field prior to having the degree and getting real world application experience. The company gets to see if the students aptitude will benefit both for a full time position when they graduate. But to your false logic of your example, then the 100 workers of a company who directly contribute to a company making $100 MIL deserve half of that income, no matter if they work clean up, assembly, manager, VP, etc.? That’s your example? Yeah that’s not anywhere in the realm of the galaxy illegal. Absurd example
    And that?s an excellent example of a message board ?mic drop?. Bravo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    So, the college athlete is getting nothing in return for his scholarship?? A very, very small opportunity to play NFL ball, but a very, very big employment opportunity that was free to him/her family.

Internships are just like recruiting kids, you think that they could be a good fit in your system/business that?s why you are lifting your dress and showing them a peak underneath.

Paying college athletes would RUIN college sports....period!!!
    Yes, yes, yes!

vCash
    Sorry, I don?t believe your company is hiring paid interns as freshman in college...and not to mention they still have to you know, go to school for a few years before they even get paid intern opportunities for a short time. But nobody is paying interns starting as freshman, every week while they also attend school. Maybe you mean something else but if not, that?s a huge stretch to believe students are working as paid interns for the entire time they also are in college
    I don't care what you "believe". We hire as young as 2nd semester freshman student as an interns. They are here for a semester. They learn and get class credit. We pay them, pay housing, we pay travel. If we like the kid and they do good work, they go to another office the next year (Paris, Belgium, China, Korea) and so on. We get kids from all over.

All the companies I worked for paid interns. We get useful work out of them that benefits the company, it's illegal to not pay them.

vCash
    It?s an invalid point. The intern is also benefitting from learning in their field prior to having the degree and getting real world application experience. The company gets to see if the students aptitude will benefit both for a full time position when they graduate. But to your false logic of your example, then the 100 workers of a company who directly contribute to a company making $100 MIL deserve half of that income, no matter if they work clean up, assembly, manager, VP, etc.? That?s your example? Yeah that?s not anywhere in the realm of the galaxy illegal. Absurd example

You benefit from "learning in your field" now or you are a shitty worker, do you get paid?

In your example, does the company pay their workers? Or do they work for room and board?

That's the argument sorry you missed it...

vCash
    I don't care what you "believe". We hire as young as 2nd semester freshman student as an interns. They are here for a semester. They learn and get class credit. We pay them, pay housing, we pay travel. If we like the kid and they do good work, they go to another office the next year (Paris, Belgium, China, Korea) and so on. We get kids from all over.

All the companies I worked for paid interns. We get useful work out of them that benefits the company, it's illegal to not pay them.
    And football players are paid a full scholarship, plus stipend not to mention many receive grants. And you are not paying interns as a normal program then and they are not getting paid for the ENTIRE year. They are not also interning for 4-5 semesters over their 4-5 years prior to graduation. Not enough time to get the required hours to graduate going by what you are staying your company does. Most interns get paid but they also have to pay for their schooling as well...you cannot eliminate that part of the equation. It is a benefit, it literally is called a benefit by the NCAA.

vCash
    You benefit from "learning in your field" now or you are a shitty worker, do you get paid?

In your example, does the company pay their workers? Or do they work for room and board?

That's the argument sorry you missed it...
    It’s still an invalid argument. If I pay workers for room and board, that is a benefit to them. Same as players. Just like I pay for or partially pay for insurance, 401k matching, etc. How about we do this instead, we pay players X number of dollars but they have to pay for their own expenses. You know, housing, food, tuition, books, etc. Make it like the real world. The total value of 4-5 years football scholarship is worth 10, 20, 30 times (depending on school) what an internship or work study program is worth in actual dollar value.