Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 125

Thread: Pac12 players threatening to boycott

  1. #41
    Senior Member starkvegasdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Eye of the Storm
    Posts
    20,525
    vCash
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    "Swing low, sweet brand new Dodge Charger,
    Coming for to carry me home......."
    Post of the year candidate right here.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Thick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,110
    vCash
    2139
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You wont see Southern athletes sit out. Ya know why? Those six figure jobs or monthly payments their families receive because their child is an SEC athlete would stop.

    5-star player- "Coach Saban, I've come here to tell you we are going to strike until we get these demands"

    Coach Saban- "Go ahead strike. Your Dad will be suspended from his job without pay until you return"

    5-star player- " Nevermind Coach. We good"
    And this too! Spot on

  3. #43
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    14,375
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Wtf.....a ?Get Started? stipend of $30k?? So, they get a free college education and then you give them $30k. Has everyone lost their freaking minds? I was 4 year scholarship player at MSU (3 year letterman), and I got a damn job utilizing my free college education. 26 years of medical sales, and I have lived a comfortable life with 3 daughters to boot. Those players are freaking coddled as shit, and if you think otherwise, then you really don?t know anything about college athletics.

    How much happens behind the scenes that don?t make it to the front pages or social media? You would be amazed, but if you start putting more money in their pockets you will see some outlandish shit happen. Remember where a lot of our kids come from. I guess liberals just don?t get until it?s too late.
    Hear, hear!

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    993
    vCash
    38467
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'll sure miss watching midnight football*
    The reason I watched midnight Pac-12 football is now the coach at MSU.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Madison, Alabama
    Posts
    11,559
    vCash
    1883832
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I guess I'm just old school .... they are already getting paid with a scholarship ... anyone priced an education from Stanford lately
    Correct. They're not only getting free tuition, but they're getting free books, housing, and food, as well as in many cases, pretty outstanding workout facilities, complete with entertaining games. All that adds up in a hurry. Regular students get none of that, and even high-level academic scholarships don't include room and board, for the most part.

    Athletic departments are taking a huge financial hit right now. If they want to get paid in the good times, do they also agree to pay the school in bad times?

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,543
    vCash
    53427
    This is the most common sense I have seen on this board in quite some time. We may play football after all....

  7. #47
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    32,409
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I think that's the same argument slave owners used.
    Yikes. That?s ignoring a ton of evidence that shows that college football has possibly natured more future black millionaires than any institution in the world
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

    Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    174
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    And this too! Spot on
    Hear, hear on all your comments!

  9. #49
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    32,409
    vCash
    1200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I think what should be offered is not pay but a healthy insurance policy that covers any life long physical injury sustained playing football for the institution that should extend for the life of the individual. In other words, if they are hurt and disabled for life, they are covered for life. More or less a life insurance policy. Also, a "Get Started" stipend IF they graduate, to the tune of a $30k lump payment upon graduation. If they leave early for the NFL or transfer then that stipend is automatically waived. This would be on top of their scholarships, meal plans, etc.
    These are fantastic ideas
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

    Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    285
    vCash
    1712
    Would they not be subjecting themselves to fines as well? Isn't that how pro and semipro athletic's disciplinary works? Seems like that would be a mess.

  11. #51
    General Public Political Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    General Public
    Posts
    17,228
    vCash
    4648
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Real slavery is being on government assistance totally.

    Getting a free education at the school of your choice within reason and having a chance to better yourself and make millions? I wish I was a slave if that's your definition of slavery.
    I didn't compare it to slavery. People need to read more clearly. I said the argument that "the players don't have any leverage so don't listen to them" is an oppressive perspective that was used in the past to protect the institution of slavery. That can't be denied. It's just a factual comment. I did not compare college football to the system of slavery, but I did compare it to wndentured servitude.

    And yes, just because guys are rock stars and have it better than the normal student doesn't mean they shouldn't have a piece of the pie that they're risking their necks for. Coaches are making millions. Ath Dir's. Sponsors. ESPN. The conferences. The bowls. The cities. The universities. Everybody. Except the guys performing are ALLOWED to earn a piece of the pie. It's as UnAmerican of a concept as there's ever been. Give the guys a slice of the pie.

  12. #52
    General Public Political Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    General Public
    Posts
    17,228
    vCash
    4648
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    You know Dodge Charger is too redneck for them.
    More of a mustang guy myself.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    14,375
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    More of a mustang guy myself.
    Corvettes for me ha!

  14. #54
    General Public Political Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    General Public
    Posts
    17,228
    vCash
    4648
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yikes. That?s ignoring a ton of evidence that shows that college football has possibly natured more future black millionaires than any institution in the world
    You are correct that it has been great. Not only from a professional athletics standpoint, but the breaking down of institutional barriers and opening up avenues to higher education. There's no arguing that. It's just strange to me that everyone can justify paying a coach $10 million a year and telling the players they get to go to class for free and be popular.

  15. #55
    Senior Member DownwardDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,529
    vCash
    996345
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I really cant believe you- as an intelligent man I know you to be- said that. The education they receive is worth at least 100K- plus their monthly stipend they receive- not to mention the other perks of being fed constantly, tutors, adoration, sex, and many other things.

    P5 college athletes get to live a life few of us get to experience.
    They are truly privileged.
    We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics."
    BUT...
    We are encouraged TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics?

  16. #56
    Senior Member DownwardDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,529
    vCash
    996345
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I didn't compare it to slavery. People need to read more clearly. I said the argument that "the players don't have any leverage so don't listen to them" is an oppressive perspective that was used in the past to protect the institution of slavery. That can't be denied. It's just a factual comment. I did not compare college football to the system of slavery, but I did compare it to wndentured servitude.

    And yes, just because guys are rock stars and have it better than the normal student doesn't mean they shouldn't have a piece of the pie that they're risking their necks for. Coaches are making millions. Ath Dir's. Sponsors. ESPN. The conferences. The bowls. The cities. The universities. Everybody. Except the guys performing are ALLOWED to earn a piece of the pie. It's as UnAmerican of a concept as there's ever been. Give the guys a slice of the pie.
    $100,000 in education and getting to be treated like rockstar for 4 years, that’s getting a giant slice of the pie. College football players are the most “privileged “ people in America.
    We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics."
    BUT...
    We are encouraged TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics?

  17. #57
    General Public Political Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    General Public
    Posts
    17,228
    vCash
    4648
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I really cant believe you- as an intelligent man I know you to be- said that. The education they receive is worth at least 100K- plus their monthly stipend they receive- not to mention the other perks of being fed constantly, tutors, adoration, sex, and many other things.

    P5 college athletes get to live a life few of us get to experience.
    Again, wasn't comparing it to slaves. I was pointing out that the argument being used to justify not paying athletes is unjust and oppressive. See my response to Todd.

    Also, Thick is right that you can't hand an 18 year old rock star $100,000 a year either. Put it in a fund and if they graduate, they get it. Incentive it and let them earn it as a STUDENT-athlete. It's not complicated. And it only matters for P5's. The rest of it is truly amateur football. But the P5 is commercialized out the ying yang and the players are not getting anywhere near the financial benefit they should, purely from an economic standpoint. I'm surprised you wouldn't promote that for your guys. I know you truly love all the kids that play for you. To me, I'd want them to have an opportunity to earn some of the money they bring in.

  18. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    251
    vCash
    500
    Oh GOD ... whatever do we do? Please dont take away the Pac 12 ... tell them to become the Big 16. Take away that conference ... Zero Fuks given. Stuff now days is just getting RIDICULOUS. Give me NFL, give me the 62 games of MLB, and give me all the SEC conference games .. the rest can go do what they wish. God forbid the West coast teams/players boycott.
    Last edited by PKADogs55; 07-21-2020 at 12:31 AM.

  19. #59
    Senior Member FISHDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,853
    vCash
    1146092
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I really cant believe you- as an intelligent man I know you to be- said that. The education they receive is worth at least 100K- plus their monthly stipend they receive- not to mention the other perks of being fed constantly, tutors, adoration, sex, and many other things.

    P5 college athletes get to live a life few of us get to experience.
    I can't believe he as a MODERATOR said this shit ... I'm so 17'n tired of post getting destroyed like this ... I tried to block him but the site won't let me just because he's a mod ...cant we have some threads once in a while that go uncorrupted ????
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

  20. #60
    Senior Member Dawgology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,643
    vCash
    50025
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Wtf.....a ?Get Started? stipend of $30k?? So, they get a free college education and then you give them $30k. Has everyone lost their freaking minds? I was 4 year scholarship player at MSU (3 year letterman), and I got a damn job utilizing my free college education. 26 years of medical sales, and I have lived a comfortable life with 3 daughters to boot. Those players are freaking coddled as shit, and if you think otherwise, then you really don?t know anything about college athletics.

    How much happens behind the scenes that don?t make it to the front pages or social media? You would be amazed, but if you start putting more money in their pockets you will see some outlandish shit happen. Remember where a lot of our kids come from. I guess liberals just don?t get until it?s too late.
    I'm saying that as opposed to lining a 17/18 year olds pockets with endorsement deals and loads of cash throughout college....which is being heavily discussed by the NCAA. I think it's a terrible idea. A stipend upon graduation would lead more than a few to stick out their college career and get that degree as opposed to dropping out if they don't get playing time. It's great that it worked out for you and I commend you but for every one of our athletes that make it after college there is on average about 4 that don't. Suddenly, they aren't needed anymore. They don't make it as a pro, they go bust, or drop out. The system that was in place their first 20 years is gone and the family that had been supporting and hanging on is gone because they aren't bringing money in anymore.

    It was just a thought to help drive up graduation rates and continue to support our athletes after the graduate.

    Regardless...we have to take better care of our athletes health after they graduate. It's just the right and moral thing to do.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.