Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pac12 players threatening to boycott

vCash

Pac12 players threatening to boycott

THey want revenue sharing. ...and other things.

https://247sports.com/Article/Pac-12...ate-149309979/

"Things they r asking 4 is 50/50 rev share, 6 yrs insurance upon graduation, better Covid-19 testing & protocols etc etc...The player led group is being spearheaded at Cal Football & they have been holding phone calls with other Pac12 teams..There is some kinda of players only meeting/vote that will be taking place shortly."

vCash
    What'll be interesting is how the left balances this stance with Title 9, since Title 9 is somewhat of a leftest policy.

Seems like an either/or. Either schools give revenue sharing to revenue producing sport's players & cut non revenue sports or schools continue to fund Title 9, which leaves very little money left over at 90% of schools.

I'm sure the coaching salaries at the Power 5 level will be cited, but in the grand scheme of things, those are only a small percentage of the total schools these policies would effect.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I'll sure miss watching midnight football*

vCash
    Good for them. I hope this catches on all over so that we can finally create a minor league and let these guys go there and get college sports back to the amateur status they are supposed to be.

vCash
    So will joe blow walk on get his cut as well? Or would it only be for scholarship players? If so, I believe you'll see a pile of new walk ons in the coming years*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Good for them. I hope this catches on all over so that we can finally create a minor league and let these guys go there and get college sports back to the amateur status they are supposed to be.
    I agree. Form a nfl minor league and be done with it. I'll be just fine watching a bunch of 4.8-5.2/40 guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I agree. Form a nfl minor league and be done with it. I'll be just fine watching a bunch of 4.8-5.2/40 guys.
    Plus they can stagger the NFL minor league to run May - August to get us through the sports dry spell. You could do an age limit also: 18-25 year old age group or something.

vCash
    It's a pretty simple solution.

The NFL has absolutely zero interest in starting a minor league system and other football leagues have all failed.

If players strike for pay, then let them boycott and just find willing D2 or JUCO players that want to play in the SEC while the D1 players sit and don't do anything while losing their scholarships.

The players have ZERO leverage to this. They just don't. Until another viable league that can compete with the NCAA comes into existence and actually makes enough money to pay players, then the players don't have any leverage.

Just let them strike. They'll only be hurting their own career. Not college football.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I guess I'm just old school .... they are already getting paid with a scholarship ... anyone priced an education from Stanford lately
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

The NFL has absolutely zero interest in starting a minor league system and other football leagues have all failed.

If players strike for pay, then let them boycott and just find willing D2 or JUCO players that want to play in the SEC while the D1 players sit and don't do anything while losing their scholarships.

The players have ZERO leverage to this. They just don't. Until another viable league that can compete with the NCAA comes into existence and actually makes enough money to pay players, then the players don't have any leverage.

Just let them strike. They'll only be hurting their own career. Not college football.
    I think that's the same argument slave owners used.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Comparing this to the slave trade is a bit drastic don't you think? It isn't like slaves had the option of just walking off the job. Slaves didn't have any choices in the decisions that were made for them.

These kids do have choices- go to college for free and get a stipend on top that covers your every day expenses. Or don't go and take your own route to the NFL.

I mean they are getting a full college education that will set them up for a good job once they graduate along with enough in stipends to get food/go on dates etc. 99% of these guys will never sniff an NFL field and would be needing a regular job down the road anyway. So college is putting those players in a much better position than they would otherwise be in.

I'm not completely opposed to paying them but it will complicate a lot of things.

How do you handle title 9? Most womens sports are funded through the revenue sports.
    How much does each player get? Does the 4th string walk on make what the star QB makes?
    Is it open season in recruiting? Where basically the player can take the best contract offer at time of recruitment? If you transfer what happens to those contracts that have already been signed or would this do away with transferring?

Those are just for starters. There is a pile of other things that would have to be considered.
    Last edited by BB30; 07-20-2020 at 04:04 PM.

vCash
    Very drastic. More like indentured servitude. The ARGUMENT that they have zero leverage is what I compared to slavery policy. They can't represent themselves because they have no power. Sound oppressively familiar?

It is nice though that they get training to go help them earn money at some point in the future while they're earning everyone else money. Hopefully they don't suffer bodily harm during their servitude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

You are dead on here, Gun! Plus the timing is terrible for them to try this. Good Luck! Enjoy that free education!

vCash
    Very drastic. More like indentured servitude. The ARGUMENT that they have zero leverage is what I compared to slavery policy. They can't represent themselves because they have no power. Sound oppressively familiar?

It is nice though that they get training to go help them earn money at some point in the future while they're earning everyone else money. Hopefully they don't suffer bodily harm during their servitude.
    I wouldn't exactly call a players life one of servitude. Especially at the P5 level. Whats next. HS football players gonna ask for a cut of the gate money?

vCash

I think what should be offered is not pay but a healthy insurance policy that covers any life long physical injury sustained playing football for the institution that should extend for the life of the individual. In other words, if they are hurt and disabled for life, they are covered for life. More or less a life insurance policy. Also, a "Get Started" stipend IF they graduate, to the tune of a $30k lump payment upon graduation. If they leave early for the NFL or transfer then that stipend is automatically waived. This would be on top of their scholarships, meal plans, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I guess I'm just old school .... they are already getting paid with a scholarship ... anyone priced an education from Stanford lately
    Me and you both brother.

vCash

If they could only get a top notch education while playing. And get it for free. Oh wait......

They are pampered and catered to. Provided with everything they need to succeed in life, and people want them to get more.

vCash
    Wow.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I think what should be offered is not pay but a healthy insurance policy that covers any life long physical injury sustained playing football for the institution that should extend for the life of the individual. In other words, if they are hurt and disabled for life, they are covered for life. More or less a life insurance policy. Also, a "Get Started" stipend IF they graduate, to the tune of a $30k lump payment upon graduation. If they leave early for the NFL or transfer then that stipend is automatically waived. This would be on top of their scholarships, meal plans, etc.
    That's a fair incentive based approach that is truly designed to protect and promote the best interest of the kids playing. I do think it should be a % if the school or conference earnings though and not a flat fee. May not be a huge percentage. The 50% demanded by Pac12 players seems like an uneducated guesstimate. There's no telling what percentages of the profit are being sent towards. University enhancement. Academics. Faculty. Additional administrative staff. Etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Wow.
    "Slaves had zero leverage, so why listen to them?" That's the exact same argument presented in the post.