Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Pac12 players threatening to boycott

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Thats insane! They are getting paid - FREE EDUCATION plus other perks! Read other posts from people that received those perks in the past.
    The players put in many many hours each week trying to improve the product their school is selling - football. The hours are outside of those required for the free education. Any other student on a full scholarship who also works a job will get paid for the work they do. Usually, the more money they bring in for the company means they get paid more, at least market value. Why shouldn't the players have a comparable opportunity?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaChicagoDog View Post
    The players put in many many hours each week trying to improve the product their school is selling - football. The hours are outside of those required for the free education. Any other student on a full scholarship who also works a job will get paid for the work they do. Usually, the more money they bring in for the company means they get paid more, at least market value. Why shouldn't the players have a comparable opportunity?
    Let them go pro if they can! They do not have to stay in school!

vCash
    Let them go pro if they can! They do not have to stay in school!
    Which - thru collusion with the NFL - you know football players can't just "go pro".

vCash
    Honestly, would you say that to a student who gets a job? Go pro/quit school if you don't like the free education you get?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Which - thru collusion with the NFL - you know football players can't just "go pro".
    Why not pay pee-wee players or junior high or high school players? The club/school is making money off of them as well, not as much as college but money still the same. By your standard they should all get paid - someone is making money and "I" want my share. I smell major league greed here as this has only become an "issue" since the money involved has become so much.

vCash
    Honestly, would you say that to a student who gets a job? Go pro/quit school if you don't like the free education you get?
    Yes, I would say that to anybody that was not satisfied going to college for whatever reason. College was supposed to be an investment in ones future, to learn a profession that requires years of study and one that would serve you well for your entire career. If you don't have what it takes to graduate or if you are unsatisfied with college itself, or if you do not see the value of a college education, then why stay, obviously you have other plans or desires. Pursue them, whatever they are!

vCash
    What you?re saying is complete horse s h i t! Student athletes have a choice. They can accept a free college education or they can walk on and pay it themselves.

You?re damn right student athletes put in more hours then academic scholly students do, but athletic scholarships cover EVERYTHING plus athletes have ALL the advantage Sl academically that regular students don?t. They have the best/easiest profs, they have TUTORS, and a few other things as well.

Stop acting like these guys are mistreated. In all actuality, their 3-4 years of college is the best lifestyle they have ever had to this point in their lives. I?d say 80-90%.

Let?s say you were going to pay players from ALL sports, bc you would have too. What does that $65mm look like after you?ve paid everyone? How would our donors react to this, bc the Bulldog Club would probably have to raise more money for upgrades? What would ticket prices look like, and how would attendance be effected too? It would be a major issue with a lasting effect on MSU and Starkville. You want to fix something fix the baseball scholarship issue that really does HURT student athletes!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Your profanity is offensive.
    My apologies... I will do better
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Why not pay pee-wee players or junior high or high school players? The club/school is making money off of them as well, not as much as college but money still the same. By your standard they should all get paid - someone is making money and "I" want my share. I smell major league greed here as this has only become an "issue" since the money involved has become so much.
    Ah, the slippery slope argument, which of course has nothing to do with reality. And notice throughout all of my posts in this, I have never called for paying the players. I've simply laid out the economics of why they have an argument that the current terms of compensation are out of line. The current system was established at a time when money wasn't a driving force and players really were students first. That paradigm and those circumstances don't exist in DI anymore. It's actually in the best interest of P5 schools to improve and expand compensation - as it is such an important economic engine. If they forgo that you have the same impacts we've been discussing in what happens if we don't play this season - the schools and the surrounding economy will be hammered. I love college football, and I want MSU to thrive. If that means we expand insurance, or increase stipends, or allow structured payments for image licensing, I'm willing to discuss it.

You know, one of the things about this is we have an entire part of our business school centered around entrepreneurship, and fostering students to make money with their ideas. A lot of those kids making ideas in there are on major scholarships funded by the university - And yet they get to benefit off of their abilities and the resources of the university. But, people want to deny athletes essentially the same thing, using their talent to advance themselves and establish the ability to make money outside of school.

vCash
    If all hell broke loose as you say and donors, etc. wouldn't put up with it, maybe college football would come to resemble amateur sports again.
    Last edited by DeltaChicagoDog; 07-21-2020 at 06:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yes, and where does it end? What about the cheerleaders, the band, ball boys, managers, etc, shouldn't they get a piece of it too because they're all involved in the experience as well. Some businesses(huge multi-billion dollar companies) have internships where you make little to nothing/nothing just to get a chance to learn or develop a skill where you can make a big paycheck and career. Do like a baseball, make a minor league for those that don't want to go play college ball and get an education. This would be opening pandoras box. Heck most football players are probably getting paid more and getting perks that are more than they would get from some revenue sharing deal, especially in the SEC.
    How many interns work for free for 4 years in your Billion dollar company?

At the one I am at, we pay the interns and they only work 6 months.

vCash
    If all hell broke loose as you say and donors, etc. wouldn't put up with it, maybe college football would come to resemble amateur sports again.
    See you?re missing the point. If you take from that $65mm to pay players, then you would have to ask donors for more money. Ticket prices would increase, concessions would increase, etc. Fans would have to make a choice if they want to increase their spend to accommodate kids getting paid even though everything they are currently receiving is free for them. Fans start saying, I?m staying at home and watching it on TV, now Starkville businesses are being effected and their prices go up. The cause and effect of paying players is not a win/win for anyone but the players. Let?s also not forget we have to pay our coaching staffs as well. You pay players and you have just ruined amateur sports while also ruining the college game day atmosphere.

vCash
    Thick and I are on the same page with all of this.

College football players put in alot of hours but they also get treated like royalty because of it. They have access to tutors and other academic help that your average student does not. Let's not forget the time studying by some students in certain majors that simply require it because of the complexity of it. My oldest offspring is in the home stretch of a pharmacy degree and I promise you she has spent as many hours studying as your average college football player spends doing things per week.

There may be 2 or 3 HS kids in the entire country ready for the NFL each signing period at the most. Football is just different. Baseball players dont go from being drafted straight to MLB- they need a few years to grow. Same with football players. Look at the 3 year guys we've had in Cox, Simmons, Jones, Gay, McKinney. All tremendous athletes and great pros. Simmons is the only one of the group that was possibly ready for the NFL after 2 years of college- let alone straight out of HS. Huge difference in an 18 year old kid and a 20 year old transitioning into a man. The fact you had to go back to Hershal, Bo, Dupree, and guys like that only makes the point. Those are generational talents- none of which we have seen in the 35 years since except maybe for a guy like AP
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    What college did those interns educate themselves in before becoming interns? They dont graduate HS and then become interns in most major businesses

vCash

Internships are used for recruitment of high performing students to maybe eventually joining that company. It?s no different then recruiting a 4 or 5 star player, ie, paying them to sign that LOI.

vCash
    All players aren't equal. Why should the third string Sr get paid money based on your theory. Walk on? Those guys aren't seeing much more than scout team action.
    What about the female soccer players nobody watch? With title 9, football can't suck up all the benefits. It's Pandora's Box.
    And I've got a college athlete that would benefit. I have no problem with school and living expenses, but that's it.

vCash

I wish I could have gotten an internship that paid my room, board, tuition, and any other fees. And one where my female coworkers wear short skirts and cheer for me to succeed.I would have fought over that. Heck, anybody on here would have. Sign me up for 4 years of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I wish I could have gotten an internship that paid my room, board, tuition, and any other fees. And one where my female coworkers wear short skirts and cheer for me to succeed.I would have fought over that. Heck, anybody on here would have. Sign me up for 4 years of that.
    These people trained somewhere to get drafted as an intern. Major businesses arent signing interns out of HS

vCash
    What’s our stipend now? $5-5,300? Plus those who qualify, which many do, still are awarded Pell grants and MTAG (as small as it is). But those combined are probably still close to the same amount as many regular students who work 20 hours per week while going to school full time. Actually since it’s tax free that’s more money than a $10 per hour job 20 hours per week.

I think most P5 schools full cost of their scholarships run $100,000-$300,000+ over 5 years...many still do redshirt and stay for 5 years. Depending on the school, Vandy, Stanford, USC, Duke, etc. you are looking at $400,000 with everything including Pell Grants. And I don’t see basketball players sitting by and not clamoring for the same amounts that football players receive. Those are not insignificant amounts of money we are talking.

As far looking at what the SEC school get from football, $65 MIL, that’s what? 60-70% of our total athletic budget? What sports are we eliminating to pay for player salaries? So because we want to pay football players we want to eliminate opportunities to many other student athletes? The numbers just don’t work, when looking at the entire athletic budget.

vCash

This type of thinking is destroying this country.