Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pac12 players threatening to boycott

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Very drastic. More like indentured servitude. The ARGUMENT that they have zero leverage is what I compared to slavery policy. They can't represent themselves because they have no power. Sound oppressively familiar?

It is nice though that they get training to go help them earn money at some point in the future while they're earning everyone else money. Hopefully they don't suffer bodily harm during their servitude.
    Shit, in college I wish I was as oppressed as a star D1 football player.

vCash
    Very drastic. More like indentured servitude. The ARGUMENT that they have zero leverage is what I compared to slavery policy. They can't represent themselves because they have no power. Sound oppressively familiar?

It is nice though that they get training to go help them earn money at some point in the future while they're earning everyone else money. Hopefully they don't suffer bodily harm during their servitude.
    Lots of NFL players would've never played more than a few downs had it not been for a strike. This is far more similar to a union strike than slavery. That's a laughable comparison.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Yeah it's gotta be tough being a rock star on a college campus like they are, especially in the sec.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    "Swing low, sweet brand new Dodge Charger,
    Coming for to carry me home......."
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I think that's the same argument slave owners used.
    Real slavery is being on government assistance totally.

Getting a free education at the school of your choice within reason and having a chance to better yourself and make millions? I wish I was a slave if that's your definition of slavery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Dang Tusk, that's hilarious!

vCash
    Under Croom, there were so many defensive players with brand new Chargers. Should have spent a little more on the offensive side...

vCash
    Ok Tusk. You owe me one margarita. And that stuff sure is sticky when you spit it on a keyboard. Dang that was funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I guess I'm just old school .... they are already getting paid with a scholarship ... anyone priced an education from Stanford lately
    Yeah. You can put me in that old school camp also. Free of charge: education from an institution of higher learning; food; books; housing; best medical care; treated like kings (which can be parlayed into numerous opportunities after graduation that few others have). Tough life for a college kid.

vCash
    As long as they pay income taxes.... I?m for it... it will turn them into conservatives pretty quick.

vCash
    Epic.

Oh, and to compare the lack of leverage of college football players with that of slaves is one of the most obtuse statements I've seen on here. Holy hell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'll sure miss watching midnight football*
    that's freaking funny. However I have watch the second half of some PAC 12 games when I got back later from Straville.

vCash
    You know Dodge Charger is too redneck for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Me and you both brother.
    Me three.

I'm ok with the players making money on their "likeness" but revenue sharing and medical insurance. Cmon. If it's that bad. Just quit playing. However they know it isn't that bad. This is just taking advantage of the current climate in the US to get a bigger slice of the pie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Me three.

I'm ok with the players making money on their "likeness" but revenue sharing and medical insurance. Cmon. If it's that bad. Just quit playing. However they know it isn't that bad. This is just taking advantage of the current climate in the US to get a bigger slice of the pie.
    If they get hurt on field they are being taken care of. I do think they could expand that some. I was talking to Tyler Russell a few years back and he was on crutches. He injured his knee while playing football at State and it had to fix but he had to pay for it. I think they could take a little more care after they leave the school just in case something comes up.

vCash
    The thing of this is. Is there any remedy even if the NCAA or universities were receptive? Meaning there isn't time between now and the scheduled kickoff to organize all they are asking.

So would the players really sit out? I doubt it.

vCash
    I think that's the same argument slave owners used.
    I really cant believe you- as an intelligent man I know you to be- said that. The education they receive is worth at least 100K- plus their monthly stipend they receive- not to mention the other perks of being fed constantly, tutors, adoration, sex, and many other things.

P5 college athletes get to live a life few of us get to experience.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I agree. Form a nfl minor league and be done with it. I'll be just fine watching a bunch of 4.8-5.2/40 guys.
    This is what we need so we can actually have student athletes again playing college football and college basketball. This free minor league that the NFL and NBA gets through the colleges is starting to cause a major issue as more and more want players to get a piece of the pie of the money generated in college football and basketball. Of course if they do that you can pretty much shut all other college sports down. No matter what you give these players they will never be satisfied because they don't think of themselves as amateurs even though they are. Its really not the colleges that are using their money, its the NFL and NBA by avoiding a minor league payroll. The colleges are compensating players 10's of thousands of dollars per year through tuition, room and board plus a stipend but a lot of the players aren't that interested in the education they are getting for free anyway.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 07-20-2020 at 07:18 PM.

vCash
    You wont see Southern athletes sit out. Ya know why? Those six figure jobs or monthly payments their families receive because their child is an SEC athlete would stop.

5-star player- "Coach Saban, I've come here to tell you we are going to strike until we get these demands"

Coach Saban- "Go ahead strike. Your Dad will be suspended from his job without pay until you return"

5-star player- " Nevermind Coach. We good"
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I think what should be offered is not pay but a healthy insurance policy that covers any life long physical injury sustained playing football for the institution that should extend for the life of the individual. In other words, if they are hurt and disabled for life, they are covered for life. More or less a life insurance policy. Also, a "Get Started" stipend IF they graduate, to the tune of a $30k lump payment upon graduation. If they leave early for the NFL or transfer then that stipend is automatically waived. This would be on top of their scholarships, meal plans, etc.
    Wtf.....a ?Get Started? stipend of $30k?? So, they get a free college education and then you give them $30k. Has everyone lost their freaking minds? I was 4 year scholarship player at MSU (3 year letterman), and I got a damn job utilizing my free college education. 26 years of medical sales, and I have lived a comfortable life with 3 daughters to boot. Those players are freaking coddled as shit, and if you think otherwise, then you really don?t know anything about college athletics.

How much happens behind the scenes that don?t make it to the front pages or social media? You would be amazed, but if you start putting more money in their pockets you will see some outlandish shit happen. Remember where a lot of our kids come from. I guess liberals just don?t get until it?s too late.