Thread: If College Football doesn't play

vCash

If College Football doesn't play

So a couple of questions for those more informed/intelligent than I.

If the SEC ends up not playing at all how will that affect the ESPN TV contracts? Will they still have to pay out some of that money or does it basically null and void the commitment for this year?

Second question, Have we (Mississippi State University) been putting any of that money back towards a rainy day fund or has it just been "go and blow". I don't know if anyone will have a concrete answer on that but I was curious. Do we use any of that money for coaches contracts etc? I guess the easier question would be- what does that money go towards? Travel/new facilities/coaches contracts etc.?

If we rely on that money every year to cover costs and suddenly that money isn't coming in will this end up affecting us more so than say UGA or Alabama? Since their donation pool is much deeper than ours I don't see how this wouldn't affect us more long term.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    So a couple of questions for those more informed/intelligent than I.

If the SEC ends up not playing at all how will that affect the ESPN TV contracts? Will they still have to pay out some of that money or does it basically null and void the commitment for this year?

Second question, Have we (Mississippi State University) been putting any of that money back towards a rainy day fund or has it just been "go and blow". I don't know if anyone will have a concrete answer on that but I was curious. Do we use any of that money for coaches contracts etc? I guess the easier question would be- what does that money go towards? Travel/new facilities/coaches contracts etc.?

If we rely on that money every year to cover costs and suddenly that money isn't coming in will this end up affecting us more so than say UGA or Alabama? Since their donation pool is much deeper than ours I don't see how this wouldn't affect us more long term.
    From the John Cohen interview on T&L last week we look very good on our rainy day fund. Have apparently put back millions upon millions. Now, if this stretches out over 2-3 years then sure it would hit us pretty bad...but at that point it's the least of our worries because we are probably hip deep in the worst depressions to ever hit America.

I'm sure this will impact ESPN contract money.

vCash
    If college football doesn't play this fall I will be doing a lot of fishing.

vCash
    Our athletic department has a pretty good rainy day fund, we are in a better situation than most Departments because just about every bit of revenue brought in is spent with not a lot leftover. I think Ohio State had $205 million dollars worth of revenue brought in last year but spent $208 million dollars

vCash
    We definitely have a huge rainy day fund, perhaps to large considering our facility needs.

When I was looking at our revenue/ expenses to make a case for building a roof at DWS, it was clear that we were saving a ton of money.

While that looks smart right now, I do wonder if we were saving too much considering the type of facilities we have compared to our competition
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 07-21-2020 at 09:00 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    From the John Cohen interview on T&L last week we look very good on our rainy day fund. Have apparently put back millions upon millions. Now, if this stretches out over 2-3 years then sure it would hit us pretty bad...but at that point it's the least of our worries because we are probably hip deep in the worst depressions to ever hit America.

I'm sure this will impact ESPN contract money.
    We are not in a depression. Things will come roaring back soon. Quit it with this crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    We are not in a depression. Things will come roaring back soon. Quit it with this crap.
    No shit. Read my post again. If this stretches over 2-3 years I can assure you we will go into a depression. I'm sure it won't. Settle down, Francis.