Thread: Rumor that the MEAC will be canceling football for the year today

vCash

Rumor that the MEAC will be canceling football for the year today

Howard, Florida A&M, Bethune Cookman, South Carolina State, and North Carolina A&T, are some notable schools in the MEAC.

So a large number of the HBCUs will be taking a hit from this announcement if it in fact does come today.

With 3 members leaving after the 2020 sports year, this may be the end of football in the MEAC unless they are able to bring in some additional members from lower divisions.

Doubt this has any bearing on D1 decisions but many of these schools I would assume rely on P5 money to survive. With all P5 members most likely going to conference only games, I think you will see this begin to happen more and more across FCS.

ETA: This has now been verified and they are canceling all fall sports.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-16-2020 at 10:20 AM.

vCash
    We ain't having football this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't think so either. We may see the pros play using a similar system to what the EPL is doing. I don't see much way any academic sports takes place this school year unless there is some sort of major break in the virus stuff. I know what the MHSAA said yesterday but it's not September yet. Hopefully I'm wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Last edited by Extendedcab; 07-16-2020 at 10:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Well said

vCash
    I thought sankeys comments to dellenger Monday were interesting. It's in a tweet from Ross on July 13. To sankey, It's not about the virus's impact on players/young people (glad that he is tracking that data), But about the virus overwhelming hospitals. But nobody has explained how playing with no fans would markedly increase the spread of the virus vs not playing at all.

The only thing I can think of is an argument that players will contract it playing and then go be around older/vulnerable people during the week.

vCash
    And college athletics as we know it, is over. Going to be a mess. Schedules for the future, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I don't think so either. We may see the pros play using a similar system to what the EPL is doing. I don't see much way any academic sports takes place this school year unless there is some sort of major break in the virus stuff. I know what the MHSAA said yesterday but it's not September yet. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    School are opening up in MS under the traditional model. If you are going to go to school all day, you might as well play football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I thought sankeys comments to dellenger Monday were interesting. It's in a tweet from Ross on July 13. To sankey, It's not about the virus's impact on players/young people (glad that he is tracking that data), But about the virus overwhelming hospitals. But nobody has explained how playing with no fans would markedly increase the spread of the virus vs not playing at all.

The only thing I can think of is an argument that players will contract it playing and then go be around older/vulnerable people during the week.

I think they are operating on the ridiculous assumption that if they don't have football, all these college age students aren't going to be around each other and spreading the virus.

But it's not really reasonable to expect (or really to even ask) all these college age kids to put their social life on hold for the next couple of years unless we find out something different about the risk it poses to them.

The only reason I can give for not playing is just that if the hospitals are overwhelmed, the athletes might be in more danger than normal from things like broken bones, knee injuries, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think they are operating on the ridiculous assumption that if they don't have football, all these college age students aren't going to be around each other and spreading the virus.

But it's not really reasonable to expect (or really to even ask) all these college age kids to put their social life on hold for the next couple of years unless we find out something different about the risk it poses to them.

The only reason I can give for not playing is just that if the hospitals are overwhelmed, the athletes might be in more danger than normal from things like broken bones, knee injuries, etc.
    Most players don't have athletic injuries taken care of in Hospitals or at least ours don't from my understanding. I could be completely wrong on that but I believe a lot of Orthos now have their own surgery outfits separate from the hospital.

vCash
    You can add the SCAC (Milsaps). Cancelled fall sports.

vCash
    If we'd only worn a mask since March, COVID would no longer exist***

vCash
    I have been wearing masks since April, when I could get them. I have KN95's their expensive $6 now.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Article summarizing each conference as they stand today.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ason/live/amp/

vCash
    Looks like the MEAC, Patriot, SWAC, Colonial, and Ivy leagues are the notable ones that have canceled so far.

vCash
    So FCS is quickly starting to go away. Obviously it will take FBS longer because there is more at stake, but I would be very surprised if there was college football this fall.