Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSU QBS best that never was

vCash
    Kevin Fant was my pick too. At least he beat Eli in 2001.

vCash
    Hal Chealader JC All America QB from Calif Played one year at State 1971 was the replacement of Tommy Phar

Johnny Booty Father of Josh, Abram and John David From Shreveport and played at Arkansas and JC prior to his one year at State.

Both oh these QBS were greatly hyped as a recruiting coup for State and didn't pan out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDAWGFAN View Post
    I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

As far as this thread goes, I'm going to go with one of the other Parade All Americans from that class - Marvin Byrdsong. 4 Parade All Americans and only Jerious Norwood panned out.
    Maybe. I was thinking he was one of the RBs that Croom kicked off the team when he arrived and that he ended up at Troy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Rodney Hudson - guy was top 5 all time in Georgia history for TD Passes and led LaGrange to a State Title over Valdosta and were named USA Today National Champions.

Played in 3 games in '92, completed 1 pass, scored 1 rushing TD on 52 yards rushing, never seen again.

I assume he was just one of those guys who was lightening in a bottle in high school and was never an SEC talent. But, man the hype of a kid with that pedigree coming in was huge.
    the best thing about Rodney is we got Walt Harris

vCash
    I don't remember the hype, but I'll say Kirk Presley. I was so pumped that a relative of Elvis, and supposedly a pretty good QB, was coming to State.

vCash
    Kevin Fant had the skill set to be an elite QB but he spent his entire career running for his life because our ol was terrible for him. I remember an lsu game where he was getting sacked before he could even complete his drops. Dang shame we couldn't give him
    better.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 07-15-2020 at 04:24 PM.

vCash
    Rodney Hudson - guy was top 5 all time in Georgia history for TD Passes and led LaGrange to a State Title over Valdosta and were named USA Today National Champions.

Played in 3 games in '92, completed 1 pass, scored 1 rushing TD on 52 yards rushing, never seen again.

I assume he was just one of those guys who was lightening in a bottle in high school and was never an SEC talent. But, man the hype of a kid with that pedigree coming in was huge.
    I had high hopes Hudson was going to be the qb we had always been waiting for. I think we eventually moved him to safety but he didn't play much. Hate that didn't work out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I don't remember the hype, but I'll say Kirk Presley. I was so pumped that a relative of Elvis, and supposedly a pretty good QB, was coming to State.
    I was much more excited about him as a baseball player.

In hindsight knowing how much he was overworked in Legion Ball he would have been injured most of his time here as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I had high hopes Hudson was going to be the qb we had always been waiting for. I think we eventually moved him to safety but he didn't play much. Hate that didn't work out.
    Hudson had trouble staying out of trouble. I think he ended up at UAB as a QB back when UAB was just moving up to D-1 and they had Watson Brown as their coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Hudson had trouble staying out of trouble. I think he ended up at UAB as a QB back when UAB was just moving up to D-1 and they had Watson Brown as their coach.
    Now that you mention it I believe I remember him having some "issues"'at State. I think he did transfer over there but I'm old and my memory ain't what it used to be!

vCash
    Now that you mention it I believe I remember him having some "issues"'at State. I think he did transfer over there but I'm old and my memory ain't what it used to be!
    I was at State then - my memory is pretty hazy about that period, but not cause of my age.

vCash
    I was at State then - my memory is pretty hazy about that period, but not cause of my age.
    I understand!

vCash
    Didn't he get caught carrying a gun into the Hump, or something like that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Kevin Fant was my pick too. At least he beat Eli in 2001.
    Yeah Fant was just on the wrong team, poor guy ran for his life every down but he would still throw for 300.

Sleepy and Don Smith were both pretty special talents. Wonder what Mullen could have done with those two? Would have been special.

vCash
    The unfortunate thing about Fant is we actually had weapons at the skill positions on those teams, but we were such a disaster on the o-line and on defense that it didn't matter. It wasn't just Fant we wasted, guys like Norwood, Justin Griffith, Donald Lee, Justin Jenkins, Terrell Grindle, all quality players that were stuck on terrible teams.

Back to the original "best QB that never was" question... I think there's a case to be made for Keytoan Thompson. Had he come along 2-3 years sooner or had Mullen stuck around another couple of years the perception of him might be a lot different, he seemed like somebody that Mullen could've groomed into a very productive dual threat QB much like he did with Dak and Fitz. KT is talented, just unfortunately had to go through two coaching changes and he has a skill set that only fits a very specific kind of offense.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 07-15-2020 at 10:14 PM.

vCash
    [QUOTE=MSUDAWGFAN;1260091]I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

Nick was kicked off the team for passing counterfeit bills in Starkville, moved back to GA and was murdered a few years later. I believe Dapoo transferred to Jacksonville State and finished his career out. Moved to Atlanta and was shot a few years later. Both were great talents but had big issues.

vCash
    [QUOTE=InTheIttaBenaHotSun;1260193]
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUDAWGFAN View Post
    I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

Nick was kicked off the team for passing counterfeit bills in Starkville, moved back to GA and was murdered a few years later. I believe Dapoo transferred to Jacksonville State and finished his career out. Moved to Atlanta and was shot a few years later. Both were great talents but had big issues.
    I remember Nick passing counterfeit $100 bills. It was at the Hunt Club. He had bleached $5 bills and printed off the 100 bill image on it. Passed a few and got change, then the Hunt Club owner got suspicious and looked a little closer. I believe that happened under Sherrill, but Croom kicked him off after he had missed practice among other things.

You are right about Williams going to Jacksonville State. I knew he went to a smaller school in Alabama after he left MSU. Didn't know he was killed in Atlanta, but knew he was murdered.

Sad situation in both cases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    The unfortunate thing about Fant is we actually had weapons at the skill positions on those teams, but we were such a disaster on the o-line and on defense that it didn't matter. It wasn't just Fant we wasted, guys like Norwood, Justin Griffith, Donald Lee, Justin Jenkins, Terrell Grindle, all quality players that were stuck on terrible teams.

Back to the original "best QB that never was" question... I think there's a case to be made for Keytoan Thompson. Had he come along 2-3 years sooner or had Mullen stuck around another couple of years the perception of him might be a lot different, he seemed like somebody that Mullen could've groomed into a very productive dual threat QB much like he did with Dak and Fitz. KT is talented, just unfortunately had to go through two coaching changes and he has a skill set that only fits a very specific kind of offense.
    Boy, agree on K.Thompson as well. He had the tools to be the next great MSU QB and possibly break some Dak and Fitz records.

vCash
    Dave Marler under Leach.......indefensible....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Michael Henig.... guy was a straight baller & really durable
    Lololol