Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MSU QBS best that never was

vCash

MSU QBS best that never was

So was trying to come up with a state football topic that hasn't been discussed in a while. I am referring to QBS but you can open it up to which ever position you would like.

Who do you think or remember back about that should have been better than they were or got dealt a rough hand with a bad supporting cast?

Mine would probably be Omarr Conner. If he had come a few years later under Mullen I feel like he could have been one hell of a threat at QB. Feel like he showed up a little before his time. 5-7 years later and he would have been hell on wheels. Always enjoyed him as a player because it seemed like he would do whatever was asked of him that could help the team. Always seemed like a team first kind of guy.

Another that isn't a qb IMO would be Dontae Walker for different reasons. If he could have kept his head on straight and kept the weight off I think he would have had a chance to be a top 3 running back at State. The guy showed flashes but just couldn't put it all together.

Thoughts?

vCash
    Sleepy getting hurt in 1992 probably cost us an SEC West title.

Kevin Fant being born 2 years too late hurt him. Him at QB in 98 and 99 would have made those teams championship contenders
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Todd Jordan

vCash
    How about Dave Marler (great game against Bama in 78 but officiating screwed us) or John Bond (different offense with the triple option). I also like Sleepy Robinson!

vCash
    Rodney Hudson - guy was top 5 all time in Georgia history for TD Passes and led LaGrange to a State Title over Valdosta and were named USA Today National Champions.

Played in 3 games in '92, completed 1 pass, scored 1 rushing TD on 52 yards rushing, never seen again.

I assume he was just one of those guys who was lightening in a bottle in high school and was never an SEC talent. But, man the hype of a kid with that pedigree coming in was huge.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Nick Turner

vCash
    Definitely Omar. Didn't have the raw talent as Vick but would have looked like him in college under Mullen

vCash
    Tyler Russell. Good QB for us that doesn't get remembered as fairly because Dak overtook him. Not a good fit in a Mullen offense but still had a productive career, threw for 42 career TD's. Definitely would've fit better in a pro style offense and I also think he could've put up huge numbers in a system like the Air Raid.

vCash
    Michael Henig.... guy was a straight baller & really durable
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I'll always appreciate Tyson Lee's guts as a 5'2"*** QB in the SEC - but if Wes Carroll sticks around for '09, I think we go bowling that year
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Don Smith. He was great but he played on bad teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CLTDAWG94 View Post
    Todd Jordan
    I always thought he had an NFL arm. His receivers dropped a lot of balls that were on target.

Didn't he punt the ball a mile too?

vCash
    Polish Rifle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

Kevin Fant being born 2 years too late hurt him. Him at QB in 98 and 99 would have made those teams championship contenders
    Yea, there was a ton of hype around Fant. Dude just got abused in college. Shame he didn't arrive a couple of years sooner. Seems to be our MO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post

100% correct. But Robby Mink, the best that never was/

vCash
    It's got to be Omar. I also would've loved 4 full years of Relf under Mullen. 2010 Relf was one of the better QBs in the SEC. Heck we were a freak Vick Ballard fumble from 10 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Tyler Russell. Good QB for us that doesn't get remembered as fairly because Dak overtook him. Not a good fit in a Mullen offense but still had a productive career, threw for 42 career TD's. Definitely would've fit better in a pro style offense and I also think he could've put up huge numbers in a system like the Air Raid.
    I was always a T Russell fan and I think he had one of the most accurate arms in recent memory (after maturing from throwing several in interceptions early in his career) but either just wasn't mobile enough or maybe needed better line protection... he also needed that one great receiver but he was a good bulldog through and through .... have to say that my vote goes for John Bond (ever so slightly) over Dak even tho it was Dak that brought us the attention we have today .... I first fell in love with state while Bruce Threadgill was at the helm so he will always be a favorite as well

ETA - reading fail on original post ... just skipped over the part that said Never Was .... but I'm not retyping
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 07-15-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Hands down Rodney Hudson. May be the only 5 star QB State ever signed. Never panned out.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Nick Turner
    Didn't he end up at Troy? I believe another RB did as well. I think it was Montrell Connor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Didn't he end up at Troy? I believe another RB did as well. I think it was Montrell Connor.
    I think you are thinking of his teammate Darren Williams (RIP). Nick Turner (RIP) was killed in Atlanta (but they never found his body.

As far as this thread goes, I'm going to go with one of the other Parade All Americans from that class - Marvin Byrdsong. 4 Parade All Americans and only Jerious Norwood panned out.