Thread: JT Daniels Immediately Eligible at UGA

vCash

JT Daniels Immediately Eligible at UGA

1. I mean, how?

2. The shows yet again why the transfer portal needs official dates..... Must declare by this date & must sign with another school on another date. This situation is completely unfair to the Wake Forest transfer QB. Absolutely 100% unfair. It's also unfair to whoever finished 2nd in the race for the Wake Forest QB.

[tweet2]1282711852783472641[/tweet2]
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I doubt Daniels beats out Newman. I doubt there's football. This may rub you wrong, but it's nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I doubt Daniels beats out Newman. I doubt there's football. This may rub you wrong, but it's nothing.
    And you may be right, but in principle this is a problem.

The Transfer Portal needs official dates. It's needs a calendar

And FWIW, I don't blame UGA one bit for not putting all their eggs in one basket. They just exploited a loophole that needs to be closed. Good coaches do that

vCash
    It's not great, but I think ultimately this stuff evens itself out.

Because the next time someone in Newman's spot is looking to transfer, this will 100% be used against UGA, as it should be, especially if Daniels were to beat Newman out. They would become a less desirable destination for transfers, and any transfer making a decision will know this is a possibility when they choose.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Because the next time someone in Newman's spot is looking to transfer, this will 100% be used against UGA, as it should be, especially if Daniels were to beat Newman out. They would become a less desirable destination for transfers, and any transfer making a decision will know this is a possibility when they choose.
    Maybe, but it shouldn't come to that.

Just implement some organization & signing dates to the transfer portal & this is no longer an issue. The players & schools would then know their options before signing.

It's such an easy problem to fix, that's it's ridiculous that they haven't already changed it.

vCash

i sure hope you are right but precedence when it comes to the NCAA doesn't seem to have same meaning as it does in legal system.

vCash
    Yeah, but there will always be exceptions, because circumstances can change at any moment. So once they implement a hard deadline, you'll then have a player who has something obviously catastrophic and unfair happen and will be barred from transferring or being immediately eligible. Then there will be outrage, and they'll be pressured to remove the deadline.

Transfers are just a different animal than graduating high schoolers or JUCO students.

And even if there is a deadline, there's nothing guaranteeing (just like is the case for HS players) that a player won't sign the papers the day of the deadline and then have another player sign an hour later. There's always some room for this, but it will be pretty much worked out by itself over time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    i sure hope you are right but precedence when it comes to the NCAA doesn't seem to have same meaning as it does in legal system.
    I mean it will be used against UGA by other schools in recruiting, not by the NCAA. I'm not talking about the NCAA at all.

vCash
    It's just so arbitrary. There is zero consistency across the board.

vCash
    I mean it will be used against UGA by other schools in recruiting, not by the NCAA. I'm not talking about the NCAA at all.
    Oh ok. I just miss read. Sorry.

vCash
    If he plays at all, he may be playing with himself.

vCash
    remind me - he was NOT a graduate transfer right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    remind me - he was NOT a graduate transfer right?
    Newman was, Daniels was not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Newman was, Daniels was not.
    So what possible rationale did they have to grant him eligibility. It's amazing to me that the ones denied eligibility don't band together and file a class action suit since it's seems completely arbitrary. Like that kid that last year that was denied because he transferred to a school 5 miles outside the radius and he was transferring to be closer to his mom who was about to go through chemo but the QB's all got immediate waivers

vCash

It doesn't even out for us. We can't get a DL from Louisville eligible when he was moving back closer to home because of a family situation simply due to being a few miles over the 100 mile limit from residence (Bham) to the MSU campus. Yet Daniels can transfer all the way across the country for no real apparent reason other than he is not likely to be the USC starter this season and is granted immediate eligibility. As long as this stuff is totally subjective for the NCAA, then some schools will continue to get competitive advantages over others just based on the random whims of the NCAA.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 07-13-2020 at 06:53 PM.

vCash
    The rich get richer in our current transfer portal system.

vCash
    Meanwhile Joey Gatewood transferred to Kentucky from Auburn 5 months ago and hasn't heard a word yet.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Meanwhile Joey Gatewood transferred to Kentucky from Auburn 5 months ago and hasn't heard a word yet.
    I listened to the Kentucky beat writer on Thunder & Lightning the other day and he did not expect Gatewood to be ruled eligible for this year. I can't imagine thinking Kentucky is going to be good with the guy they are going to trot out there if Gatewood is ineligible. I realize he has a lot of wins as a "starter" but so did Wayne Madkin when he had an elite defense. That guy is atrocious at quarterback and they will be fortunate to go to a bowl game if he starts.
    Last edited by Jarius; 07-14-2020 at 10:02 AM.

vCash
    and it appears as though, and yall can correct me if I am wrong, but that he is only transferring because he got replaced due to a season ending injury. How does that qualify as a reason for immediate eligibility when a guy moving closer to home does not?

This is absurd and unless I am missing something he is simply getting preferential treatment because he is transferring to a big time program. I would just about guarentee if he were transferring to state/OM/KY etc. he wouldn't receive immediate eligibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    and it appears as though, and yall can correct me if I am wrong, but that he is only transferring because he got replaced due to a season ending injury. How does that qualify as a reason for immediate eligibility when a guy moving closer to home does not?

This is absurd and unless I am missing something he is simply getting preferential treatment because he is transferring to a big time program. I would just about guarentee if he were transferring to state/OM/KY etc. he wouldn't receive immediate eligibility.
    The NCAA is an unscrupulous group that plays favorites every day of the week with no rhyme or reason to their decisions on things. THEREFORE, I am at this point totally for going back to the old rules that if you transfer you sit unless you are a grad transfer, just the way it should be. I would be for allowing a 6th year to a guy that chooses to transfer after burning a redshirt year so he doesn't lose a year of eligibility but that's about it. Even when a guy transfers and is sitting out he almost always is already put on full scholarship and is getting his free education so there is nothing lost on that end. It worked just fine for decades until someone had the bright idea that certain situations should allow you to skirt the rules.