Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Country Needs Sports So Bad Right Now

vCash

The Country Needs Sports So Bad Right Now

From the Woj email a couple of days ago telling a US Senator to 17 off, to DeSean Jackson's anti-Semitic comments, to Drew Brees being blasted by the left for saying that he would stand for the national anthem, for goodness sakes we need sports to come back & be an emotional outlet for people.

Politics are important, more important than sports, but so is food & too much of an important thing becomes harmful when there is no distraction. The truth is that this virus has taken away people's outlet. People now have more emotional energy stored up in side of them but with no place to release it.... except for politics.

I'm not a doomsday type & believe that all this will turn fine & the US won't tear itself apart in the process, but, for me, I feel like I've learned sport's role in society through this pandemic & it's ultimate role is to provide an emotional outlet people so that they don't store up all that emotion for something that makes them far angrier & bold.

The country needs sports. We all need sports so that we're watching sports, highlights, etc instead of cable news networks. We all need sports so that the twitter mob starts talking about something else besides politics.

Dear SEC, NFL, MLB, (the NBA can go to hell), please for heaven's sakes find a way to bring sports back immediately.

Sincerely,

'Gun
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 07-12-2020 at 10:01 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    The average person isn’t watching 24/7 cable news or hanging on to tweet after tweet. It’ll be fine.

vCash
    Then throw in a presidential election, and this crap becomes unbearable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Then throw in a presidential election, and this crap becomes unbearable.
    The country needs people to punch walls & throw remotes when their QB throws a pick rather doing worse when they don't win the election

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    The average person isn’t watching 24/7 cable news or hanging on to tweet after tweet. It’ll be fine.
    Maybe not, but more people are now than ever because they aren't out and about like they otherwise would be. Actual human interaction are is replaced or at least heavily supplemented by social media interaction. The extreme perspectives are magnified and elevated in a way that many people feel like they have to "pick a side" on every issue, and those sides are already defined for them.

I'm a guy that prefers nuanced positions and argues against both sides first to decide what I think makes the most sense. It feels like there's not a lot of room for that right now. Either you're a racist that thinks coronavirus is a hoax or you're a mask-wearing ***** that wants to cancel everything. Most don't subscribe to those extremes as being the only options but those voices aren't as loud.

And to msstate7's point, it's going to get worse as we get closer to the election.

vCash
    Carlson, who isn't even that good on tv, broke the record for ratings in the history of cable news last month. That prob doesn't happen if sports are on every night

vCash
    We need sports. It's an outlet of stress and brief vacation from everyday stuff for a few hours a day. Lot of folks need the mental therapy sports provides.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    We need sports. It's an outlet of stress and brief vacation from everyday stuff for a few hours a day. Lot of folks need the mental therapy sports provides.

Bread and circuses.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopsondawg22 View Post
    Bread and circuses.....
    It's not everyday you see a Juvenal quote. Excellent.

vCash
    The issue I have is you can't tell me it's Ok to protest and then tell me that football can't happen. And then blame it on people not wearing a mask. It doesn't pass the bullshit test and the media thinks that we're all stupid when the reality is they're the ones who are idiots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The issue I have is you can't tell me it's Ok to protest and then tell me that football can't happen. And then blame it on people not wearing a mask. It doesn't pass the bullshit test and the media thinks that we're all stupid when the reality is they're the ones who are idiots.
    Problem is that because the protesting isn't "official" & practically leaderless, there is no one to sue if someone gets sick.

With sports, there are schools & owners that could be sued if someone gets sick.

It all leads back to lawyers eventually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Problem is that because the protesting isn't "official" & practically leaderless, there is no one to sue if someone gets sick.

With sports, there are schools & owners that could be sued if someone gets sick.

It all leads back to lawyers eventually.
    Then put a disclaimer on the ticket that if you choose to go to the game and get sick or hurt it's not the organization's fault. And there is zero way to prove that a person got COVID at a football game.

Archimedes
    vCash
    We need to do away with 24/7 politically backed new channels/media outlets using nothing more than shock jocks to drive ratings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    We need to do away with 24/7 politically backed new channels/media outlets using nothing more than shock jocks to drive ratings.
    I don't disagree, but how exactly do you do that without infringing on the 1st amendment?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Then put a disclaimer on the ticket that if you choose to go to the game and get sick or hurt it's not the organization's fault. And there is zero way to prove that a person got COVID at a football game.
    But what do you do with the players?

Do you put a disclaimer in for them that says "You play at your own risk, but lose your scholarship if you don't play?"

This is where mandatory 4 years scholarships are really needed in college sports. Under a 4 year scholarship rule, players could opt out of playing this fall while not risking their scholarship

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash

Do you put a disclaimer in for them that says "You play at your own risk, but lose your scholarship if you don't play?"

This is where mandatory 4 years scholarships are really needed in college sports. Under a 4 year scholarship rule, players could opt out of playing this fall while not risking their scholarship
    The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing. Just because idiots on TV think it’s risky for players to be playing football due to covid doesn’t change that opinion being completely idiotic and based in zero factual evidence at all. They rarely go home during the season anyway so it’s not like they will be carrying it home to grandma and grandpa.
    Last edited by Jarius; 07-12-2020 at 04:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing. Just because idiots on TV think it’s risky for players to be playing football due to covid doesn’t change that opinion being completely idiotic and based in zero factual evidence at all. They rarely go home during the season anyway so it’s not like they will be carrying it home to grandma and grandpa.
    Completely agree, but I'm trying to see this from a legal standpoint & I'm not sure if "The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing" would hold up in court

FWIW, I don't think many if any players would opt out of playing, but by offering them that ability, the school relieves itself of much of the responsibility

Archimedes
    vCash
    I don't disagree, but how exactly do you do that without infringing on the 1st amendment?
    I wish I knew.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Completely agree, but I'm trying to see this from a legal standpoint & I'm not sure if "The risk from COVID for them is too low for them to deserve to keep their scholarship if they opt out of playing" would hold up in court

FWIW, I don't think many if any players would opt out of playing, but by offering them that ability, the school relieves itself of much of the responsibility
    Of course it would hold up. If we start making schools honor scholarships for players that quit for health reasons that are completely insane, like a 20 year old being scared of dying of COVID, then we open up a big Pandora’s box of frivolous BS. It’s not a legit reason not to play and keep your scholarship.

vCash

You do like MLB and tell them if they don't feel safe then stay home. And you make it clear that the only exception is this pandemic so no players will try to do something shady in the future.

Based on what I am seeing on Twitter the majority would and want to play.