Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro sports starting help ncaa football?

vCash

Pro sports starting help ncaa football?

MLB starts July 23. NBA on July 30. NHL on August 1.

We need to make no decision about playing until after that. Let people see sports on tv and feel normalized with it. I get it's not the same as college sports, but I think people just seeing sports on tv again every night will help.

vCash
    I'm worried about all of those. Before July, we hadn't hit 50k cases in one day. Now we've had it 8 times in July with today over 71k. I'm not saying shut everything down, but I can easily see sports getting stopped maybe before they even get started.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    MLB starts July 23. NBA on July 30. NHL on August 1.

We need to make no decision about playing until after that. Let people see sports on tv and feel normalized with it. I get it's not the same as college sports, but I think people just seeing sports on tv again every night will help.
    Could help or hurt. If it doesn't go well, it will hurt. Goes well, maybe helps a little. In the weak leadership world we live, no one wants to be first.

vCash
    I agree. SEC will say they are playing and so on but with an eye on the pros.

If nfl can keep them camps going. If MLB and the NBA can play without a number of players sitting out and disrupting play...... sec football has a good chance to play some games. If both sputter along and give up by Sept 1, obviously football will be canceled altogether.

vCash
    What has to happen for sports to come back?

I'm not sure how much good a vaccine will do since the Flu vaccine hardly works anyway.

Would it be the Tamiflu version for Covid?

Just trying to figure out what standard has to be met for us to play again?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

I'm not sure how much good a vaccine will do since the Flu vaccine hardly works anyway.

For college sports? Leaders to grow a pair.
    According to the cdc, age group 15-24 is twice as likely to die from pneumonia than covid (247 deaths to 142 deaths). College students are 13x more likely to die from alcohol than covid and more likely to die or be hospitalized in a car wreck on the way to school than from covid. According to the cdc there are 47k college football injuries annually which require medical treatment. We've had hundreds of players test positive already (before being involved in team activities mind you) with no serious complications.
    The only possible argument against playing football right now is not player safety, it is the safety of others to whom the players may spread covid.

vCash
    According to the cdc, age group 15-24 is twice as likely to die from pneumonia than covid (247 deaths to 142 deaths). College students are 13x more likely to die from alcohol than covid and more likely to die or be hospitalized in a car wreck on the way to school than from covid. According to the cdc there are 47k college football injuries annually which require medical treatment. We've had hundreds of players test positive already (before being involved in team activities mind you) with no serious complications.
    The only possible argument against playing football right now is not player safety, it is the safety of others to whom the players may spread covid.
    Yeah if they follow the data like they say they do (but don't) then your post makes a lot of sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

We already go the Tamiflu version for Covid in one or two drugs but that is not enough for some people.

vCash
    You can post stats all you want (I know that's rich coming from me), but the first time a kid actually died from it, it would be a media whirlwind. Think of how that coaching staff, AD, college, and conference would be perceived. Remember when the Maryland kid died a couple years ago? It'd be like that, but a whole lot worse. The entire country would be talking about it.
    Last edited by hacker; 07-12-2020 at 07:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    You can post stats all you want (I know that's rich coming from me), but the first time a kid actually died from it, it would be a media whirlwind. Think of how that coaching staff, AD, college, and conference would be perceived. Remember when the Maryland kid died a couple years ago? It'd be like that, but a whole lot worse. The entire country would be talking about it.
    Sure. And it'd be no different from the multiple deaths we have every year in college football. That's why I say it will require leaders growing a pair. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    How many kids die from heat related illness because of sports? It happens every year and every one seems ok with it.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    We need a vaccine, until then everyone in this country needs to limit their exposure.

My experience with the covid is different than most of you. Remember when Nick Bell died? Imagine if this type of talk leads to the people in charge pushing for football to be played, and it results in a death of a player. Now I also believe in personal choice. If the players on the team all agree that playing is what they want to do... then who am I to tell them no. It is their risk. I am not going to go to the games with the tightly packed stands regardless. Chances are, all of the players could get this and be perfectly fine. I am not going to push to make that decision for them.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    How many kids die from heat related illness because of sports? It happens every year and every one seems ok with it.
    I don't think we are ok with it. We all support changes to the game to make it as safe as it can be. I really want college football, but it not something we absolutely have to do.
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Uhh... no. They make changes everytime a kid dies like that. See the example you literally dismissed. What happened to that coach?

Just because you're a piece of shit who is willing to trade other kids lives for your personal entertainment does not mean that every one is the same way. Do not attribute your outdated selfish thoughts to others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    We need a vaccine, until then everyone in this country needs to limit their exposure.

My experience with the covid is different than most of you. Remember when Nick Bell died? Imagine if this type of talk leads to the people in charge pushing for football to be played, and it results in a death of a player. Now I also believe in personal choice. If the players on the team all agree that playing is what they want to do... then who am I to tell them no. It is their risk. I am not going to go to the games with the tightly packed stands regardless. Chances are, all of the players could get this and be perfectly fine. I am not going to push to make that decision for them.
    I don't think the majority of people that would like football to be played are saying they want to force players to play against their will. Maybe I'm wrong though. If some players decide they don't want to play this year, I think they should be allowed to sit out and keep their scholarship. With that said I doubt very many at all would sit out, certainly very few that actually play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post

This is the type of thought which keeps holding everything, including sports, back. Exposure to covid is not instant death. Very far from it, actually. The swine flu had a significantly higher death rate for people 65 and younger but life went on as normal. Keeping schools shutdown, people locked away inside and everything at a standstill will cause more damage than covid ever could on its own. I wouldn't hold my breath on that mythical vaccine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Uhh... no. They make changes everytime a kid dies like that. See the example you literally dismissed. What happened to that coach?

Just because you're a piece of shit who is willing to trade other kids lives for your personal entertainment does not mean that every one is the same way. Do not attribute your outdated selfish thoughts to others.
    Wow. Really intelligent there bud. I knew I should not have unblocked you. I’m not willing to trade anyone’s lives for my entertainment. You read that crazy wrong. I wish we would start football season much later every year to help the kids. I’m not even saying we should have football this year. I was just making a point. Carry on with your badass though.

vCash
    Realistically sports is not feasible this fall. Covid didn't magically disappear when it go warm like the flu does. It's not going away. It's not a Democrat hoax. It's real and it's filling up our hospitals rapidly right now. We will be shut down again soon and it's the fault of our leadership. Otherwise, we would've had fewer deaths and more sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKotter View Post
    This is the type of thought which keeps holding everything, including sports, back. Exposure to covid is not instant death. Very far from it, actually. The swine flu had a significantly higher death rate for people 65 and younger but life went on as normal. Keeping schools shutdown, people locked away inside and everything at a standstill will cause more damage than covid ever could on its own. I wouldn't hold my breath on that mythical vaccine.
    Always enjoy your post, but this is an incredibly dangerous narrative being pushed for political purposes only. We only have a limited amount of hospital spaces and medical supplies. We can't handle 10-20-30% of the nation being dangerously sick all at the same time. We don't have the bed space, treatments, or PPe to handle it. We all have to do our part or flatten the curve regardless of the death rate. Further, there are long term implications to getting sick that will hurt a lot of people who carry on physical, outdoor heavy breathing, hard work (construction, landscaping, athletes, personal trainers, etc...). Anybody who does physical work for a living and gets this could be out of work for months with respiratory issues.

Banned
    vCash
    Wow. Really intelligent there bud. I knew I should not have unblocked you. I’m not willing to trade anyone’s lives for my entertainment. You read that crazy wrong. I wish we would start football season much later every year to help the kids. I’m not even saying we should have football this year. I was just making a point. Carry on with your badass though.
    Fair proposal but the problem with that is the school calendar and also northern frigid winter. It's a balance.

Your post comes off as dismissive of the issue and classic whataboutism to drive the narrative away. Standard for you, but if your intention was as you say to point out that people don't care about the kids like that unless it's politicized then it's faulty but not from a bad intentioned place as I originally assumed.