Thread: HailStateBB Commits.....Need a list- Todd, Commerce, Federalist, help me out

vCash

HailStateBB Commits.....Need a list- Todd, Commerce, Federalist, help me out

My twitter feed has been all abuzz with all the baseball commits blowing up the PG/WWBA circuits this week! It looks like we have a couple of capable bats and TONS of arms headed our way....can we get a list of who all to keep an eye on till fall???

vCash
    Todd and Commerce actually know stuff, just my take. We have really good players in the MSU mold. But the best thing is the balance. We usually get hitters but no pitchers. Or pitchers but no hitters. Or we have a particular Woodruff or McCord player that is suppose to save us, day-1. In 2020 we have multiple Woodruffs now. This is a LSU or Florida level recruiting class. Not quite Vanderbilt level.

Pitching best 4: RH-Fristoe, LH- Tullar, RH- Tepper, RH - Cade Smith. Plus several promising JCs with dominant stats in JC, Preston Johnson averages 17 Ks per 9 innings. MLB thinks Fristoe is a future high pick after college experience, 1st Round. Plus LH Dylan Caramouche that has a lot of tools and attitude. Plus we are getting Brandon Smith back, he would have been major contributor in 2020, huge experience as a Freshman.

Position players: Kellum Clark 1b/3b is the big recruit that is expected to win a starting job as a Freshman. But we also have an array of MIFS that will battle each other. The MSU thing to happen is that the least known kid pulls a Justin Foscue. We have some desperately needed RH hitters and a Switch guy. I have read that our Freshman hitters will be behind on experience due to the coronavirus shutting down schools and events. Lane Forsythe from TN is the highest rated MIF. Many MS legends come from Forsythes region of TN, Ethan Small and Paul Maholm. There is also a Vicksburg kid with QB size that is only now concentrated on baseball. That’s Shane Lewis a Switch hitter. We also signed Todd Grantham’s son, Corbin Grantham as OF, how did Scott Strickland let that happen?

Transfers- Scott Dubrule is probably our opening day 2B. If he beats out Landon Jordan. Duburule has great college stats, contact hitter, 3 years experience but not a power hitter. Stone Simmons is a Furman transfer, RH pitcher from Houston Texas. Large kid that won the Ace job at Furman as a Freshman.

JC position players: kace Garner and Brayland Skinner have a chance to win an OF spot, both RH. If Cumbest can stop imitating Tanner Poole, great but now there is competition. Garner hit 16 HR in JC but his size doesn’t promise that power in the SEC. Skinner hit for high average and is a CF type defensive talent. Skinner comes from the same JC as the Van Cleve kid at OM. The OM Kid did great in 20 games last year as a hitter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Todd and Commerce actually know stuff, just my take. We have really good players in the MSU mold. But the best thing is the balance. We usually get hitters but no pitchers. Or pitchers but no hitters. Or we have a particular Woodruff or McCord player that is suppose to save us, day-1. In 2020 we have multiple Woodruffs now. This is a LSU or Florida level recruiting class. Not quite Vanderbilt level.

Pitching best 4: RH-Fristoe, LH- Tullar, RH- Tepper, RH - Cade Smith. Plus several promising JCs with dominant stats in JC, Preston Johnson averages 17 Ks per 9 innings. MLB thinks Fristoe is a future high pick after college experience, 1st Round. Plus LH Dylan Caramouche that has a lot of tools and attitude. Plus we are getting Brandon Smith back, he would have been major contributor in 2020, huge experience as a Freshman.

Position players: Kellum Clark 1b/3b is the big recruit that is expected to win a starting job as a Freshman. But we also have an array of MIFS that will battle each other. The MSU thing to happen is that the least known kid pulls a Justin Foscue. We have some desperately needed RH hitters and a Switch guy. I have read that our Freshman hitters will be behind on experience due to the coronavirus shutting down schools and events. Lane Forsythe from TN is the highest rated MIF. Many MS legends come from Forsythes region of TN, Ethan Small and Paul Maholm. There is also a Vicksburg kid with QB size that is only now concentrated on baseball. That’s Shane Lewis a Switch hitter. We also signed Todd Grantham’s son, Corbin Grantham as OF, how did Scott Strickland let that happen?

Transfers- Scott Dubrule is probably our opening day 2B. If he beats out Landon Jordan. Duburule has great college stats, contact hitter, 3 years experience but not a power hitter. Stone Simmons is a Furman transfer, RH pitcher from Houston Texas. Large kid that won the Ace job at Furman as a Freshman.

JC position players: kace Garner and Brayland Skinner have a chance to win an OF spot, both RH. If Cumbest can stop imitating Tanner Poole, great but now there is competition. Garner hit 16 HR in JC but his size doesn’t promise that power in the SEC. Skinner hit for high average and is a CF type defensive talent. Skinner comes from the same JC as the Van Cleve kid at OM. The OM Kid did great in 20 games last year as a hitter.
    I thought you did pretty well with this breakdown. Dubrule was brought in to play second base. I'm not sure if Landon Jordan is even a second baseman at this point and defensively right now he profiles more like a DH/3B/1B type.

Other than Clark I'm not expecting a ton of freshmen to play a lot because of the roster backlog due to COVID.

vCash
    As far as recruits go with this current draft class Maddux Bruns has been getting the most helium as he has been sitting 93-97 with his fastball. He appears to be our top draft risk. James Woods looks very projectable at 6'6" and I could see him being drafted as well. Maybe Jordan McCants who is a SS but could play a number of positions for us. Pico Kohn is going to be a really good pitcher for us. I've always liked Jeffrey Ince from Jackson Prep. He's really physical looking for his age and I think he's a guy that could come in and play right away potentially in the outfield or maybe second base.

vCash
    Perfect! Thank you guys! This is exactly what I was hoping for. One other question, I saw a highlight of some kid named Xavier Lovett throw three pitches and finished off this kid with a fility slider/slurve on the outside. What's the skinny on him? He set this kid up on 93 under the chin and then hit him with curve at 75 on the outside. Absolutely filthy. The arms we are on are getting me pumped