Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Welp, there goes the NC State game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Nope. Once we have a vaccine this will become the flu. Until then it's difficult to manage because we are still in the infancy of understanding the intricacies of this.

But once we have a vaccine and can administer it like the flu everything will be back to normal. Hopefully that can happen by next summer.
    Are you going to mandate everyone take the vaccine? People won't even wear masks, or take the flu vaccine.

vCash
    For everyone. Players physically can't social distance in football and if you trust schools to be transparent about positive tests in season you're insane. Fans won't social distance and no one will police it.

The problem right now is that too many people don't give a shit and think that because football makes so much money it's ok to go forward. Meanwhile, you have a number of coaches, players family, etc that would be at risk during this. Of course they are willing to risk it. That's what they do. Doesn't make it right.

And I'll continue to preface this by saying I'm a conservative public school administrator. No one can answer the simple question as to why we are canceling non conference but keeping conference games? Makes zero sense. I predict we come out of this looking really dumb. Up to this point, the south is leading the charge in ignorance on this topic. If college football is as powerful as y'all say it is, what happened today wouldn't have happened. False narrative and overblown statistics done shut down public schools nationally and college football.

I'll say it again. A lot of people are going to be disappointed in a couple months.
    Playing the game of football itself is not safe. Statistically, our players are more likely to have to seek medical treatment for a football injury than for covid! How in the world is it unsafe or not logical for them to play due to covid but it is safe and logical for them to play in the first place?

Fans don't have to attend.

Cancelling noncon is about controlling travel, schedule flexibility, and testing.

The south? Uh, have you totally blacked out on NY handling of this. Cuomo (whom I like) made the worst decision of any governor when he decided positive patients would remain in nursing homes while hospitals were empty. That was the driver of deaths in NY, which has 30 times our death count and only 6.5 times our population. Tate (whom I don't like) ain't perfect, but he's running circles around Cuomo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Are you going to mandate everyone take the vaccine? People won't even wear masks, or take the flu vaccine.
    No. But we don't need everyone to take it. We just need a vaccine readily available like the flu vaccine so that hospitalizations can be mitigated. Once we get a vaccine, we accept there's a certain risk level and personal choice. Until then, the risk is too high because exposure isn't a personal choice.

Not sure why folks keep taking this so damn far. No one is mandating vaccines or saying they should. But the difference between the flu and this is that you get to choose whether or not you mitigate your risk to the flu to a certain degree with acceptable and standard medical practices like receiving a vaccine. COVID isn't there yet because there's no potential to mitigate spread with traditionally accepted ways. That takes time. Until then, there's a lot of folks at risk. And we don't know how at risk because we shut down things like school and sports that would be ways to easily transmit something we can't reasonable control.

Opening those things back up to normal creates a serious problem in my mind. But eventually we will have a vaccine and everything will go back to normal.

vCash
    Playing the game of football itself is not safe. Statistically, our players are more likely to have to seek medical treatment for a football injury than for covid! How in the world is it unsafe or not logical for them to play due to covid but it is safe and logical for them to play in the first place?

Fans don't have to attend.

Cancelling noncon is about controlling travel, schedule flexibility, and testing.

The south? Uh, have you totally blacked out on NY handling of this. Cuomo (whom I like) made the worst decision of any governor when he decided positive patients would remain in nursing homes while hospitals were empty. That was the driver of deaths in NY, which has 30 times our death count and only 6.5 times our population. Tate (whom I don't like) ain't perfect, but he's running circles around Cuomo.
    It's logical because the difference is the medical help they need for a football injury is 99.9% of the time fixable and controllable. COVID isn't to that degree and we still don't know the specifics about it.

And as far as controlling travel, Columbia, Missouri and Raleigh, North Carolina are roughly the same distance from Starkville. That's a pretty garbage excuse. We will cancel Florida vs Florida State but allow Florida to host Missouri. Makes zero sense.

New York is one state. Alabama, Florida, Mississippi are doing poorly. We weren't smart and it's going to cost us football.

vCash
    Nope. Once we have a vaccine this will become the flu. Until then it's difficult to manage because we are still in the infancy of understanding the intricacies of this.

But once we have a vaccine and can administer it like the flu everything will be back to normal. Hopefully that can happen by next summer.
    By the time we get a vaccine that will handle the amount of people that need it, much less th e, country football will be done bro.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It's been obvious for a while now that HS and College sports this fall was a pipe dream. If people had actually followed the guidlines when we came off lockdown it might have happened. Nobody gave a damn beyond a week's fun. It wasn't like we weren't warned.
    Well, If we don't have football that will give us more time to attend BLM rally's. That's the only thing the coronabro's have given us permission to do anyway.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 07-10-2020 at 03:02 AM.

vCash
    No. But we don't need everyone to take it. We just need a vaccine readily available like the flu vaccine so that hospitalizations can be mitigated. Once we get a vaccine, we accept there's a certain risk level and personal choice. Until then, the risk is too high because exposure isn't a personal choice.
    Exposure, in the context of playing football, absolutely is a personal choice now, even without a vaccine. Nobody is forcing any player to play. They want to play. The players and coaches have access to the same data you and I have regarding exposure, and they want to play. How is that not personal choice?

Or do we just want to make the choice for them because we think we understand the data and their risks better than them?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    By the time we get a vaccine that will handle the amount of people that need it, much less th e, country football will be done bro.
    Very possible. But I hate to say this, and it will offend some people, but football isn't as important as the health and well being of a society. I know for some people they only live for football. Really bad way to live.

I get people love football. I love it too. Health of society is more important. There will always be folks willing to accept the risk. The question is are we able to mitigate the transmission to those who can't make that choice. Right now we can't. If it means no football one year, that sucks. But long term it's worth it.

And I hope folks don't start throwing out death statistics to justify themselves. There are still things that are really bad outcomes from this that aren't death and will be with you for the rest of your life. Saying "oh you most likely won't die from it" isn't exactly the comforting statement some think it is.

vCash
    Exposure, in the context of playing football, absolutely is a personal choice now, even without a vaccine. Nobody is forcing any player to play. They want to play. The players and coaches have access to the same data you and I have regarding exposure, and they want to play. How is that not personal choice?

Or do we just want to make the choice for them because we think we understand the data and their risks better than them?
    You are naive as hell if you don't think kids feel pressured to play. May not be verbally, but the system isn't set up for people to succeed by not playing. And for coaches, their livelihood goes away if football goes away. Duh they want to play.

Also, this board talks all the time about how these kids make bad choices for what college they commit to. But now, all of a sudden, you are saying they are smart enough to know the risks better than medical professionals? Makes zero sense.

I get it. You want everyone to call off the dogs and fend for themselves. Football and everything else needs to go on like normal and forget any measure of safety because hell everything is a risk. That's not practical when we are taking about something that the vast majority of our population doesn't know one little shit about, regardless of what they say on message boards and Facebook.

vCash
    It's logical because the difference is the medical help they need for a football injury is 99.9% of the time fixable and controllable. COVID isn't to that degree and we still don't know the specifics about it.

And as far as controlling travel, Columbia, Missouri and Raleigh, North Carolina are roughly the same distance from Starkville. That's a pretty garbage excuse. We will cancel Florida vs Florida State but allow Florida to host Missouri. Makes zero sense.

New York is one state. Alabama, Florida, Mississippi are doing poorly. We weren't smart and it's going to cost us football.
    But 99% of the time they won't need medical help at all due to covid. Statically, they are better off getting covid than suffering a football injury. Ask any of our players if he'd rather have a football injury or test positive for covid and he will tell you the latter. So would I at 20.

I agree, but Travel is just one aspect. The biggest thing is schedule flexibility.

Al, fl, and ms are all doing waaaay better than ny. Every southern state has. Same with NJ. Those two states alone account for 1/3 of deaths. The south has done way better.

vCash
    Very possible. But I hate to say this, and it will offend some people, but football isn't as important as the health and well being of a society. I know for some people they only live for football. Really bad way to live.

I get people love football. I love it too. Health of society is more important. There will always be folks willing to accept the risk. The question is are we able to mitigate the transmission to those who can't make that choice. Right now we can't. If it means no football one year, that sucks. But long term it's worth it.

And I hope folks don't start throwing out death statistics to justify themselves. There are still things that are really bad outcomes from this that aren't death and will be with you for the rest of your life. Saying "oh you most likely won't die from it" isn't exactly the comforting statement some think it is.
    While I understand your point and don't disagree, this could linger and linger for no telling how long. The economic impact of no sports will long term be WAY greater. And it won't be close.

vCash
    You are naive as hell if you don't think kids feel pressured to play. May not be verbally, but the system isn't set up for people to succeed by not playing. And for coaches, their livelihood goes away if football goes away. Duh they want to play.

Also, this board talks all the time about how these kids make bad choices for what college they commit to. But now, all of a sudden, you are saying they are smart enough to know the risks better than medical professionals? Makes zero sense.

I get it. You want everyone to call off the dogs and fend for themselves. Football and everything else needs to go on like normal and forget any measure of safety because hell everything is a risk. That's not practical when we are taking about something that the vast majority of our population doesn't know one little shit about, regardless of what they say on message boards and Facebook.
    Which of our players has told you he is being pressured to play? And pressured By whom? Or are you just assuming you know how they feel? Do you also think they are being pressured to go on social media and say they want to play? Kylin has already shown he is not willing to play over Smn important to him, but you think he is incapable of saying he is not willing to play over covid? Kinda insulting.

Again, don't equate their covid risk in playing to ours in every day life. I don't think everyone should fend for themselves, but I do think decisions should be data driven. And the data overwhelmingly supports playing with little or no fans, especially when the players are willing to accept what minute risk they have in playing with respect to catching covid.

Finally, So we know nothing about the virus, yet you know it has "really bad outcomes" that will last "the rest of your life." Unh?

vCash
    Which of our players has told you he is being pressured to play? And pressured By whom? Or are you just assuming you know how they feel? Do you also think they are being pressured to go on social media and say they want to play? Kylin has already shown he is not willing to play over Smn important to him, but you think he is incapable of saying he is not willing to play over covid? Kinda insulting.

Again, don't equate their covid risk in playing to ours in every day life. I don't think everyone should fend for themselves, but I do think decisions should be data driven. And the data overwhelmingly supports playing with little or no fans, especially when the players are willing to accept what minute risk they have in playing with respect to catching covid.

Finally, So we know nothing about the virus, yet you know it has "really bad outcomes" that will last "the rest of your life." Unh?
    Yeah lung scarring doesn't just magically disappear. I would be pretty disappointed if I had to live with that the rest of my life. So I feel that's a pretty bad outcome no? At least I'm not dead!!

Again. Read the post. I didn't say anyone pressure anyone. The pressure is built in to the system of college football and if you've ever played or coached sports you would know that. Play or get cut/asked to leave at this level. Don't play and you are letting your team down or might get passed permanently on the depth chart. That has been built into sports forever.

I guess I'm just shocked honestly. I get it. Folks are inconvenienced being asked to wear masks. I'm a big fan of data too. Data says you can not have symptoms and still have the disease. You still thinking only about the players is the exact issue. If they go visit grandma during the week, or get it from someone in the dorm and pass it along to a coach that has an underlying medical issue, that's a problem. It's very short sighted to say the players are most likely not in danger so why is there an issue? Because they aren't the only ones affected. That's the part people refuse to wrap their minds around. It's not about you. It's about who else you might affect. That's a pretty simple concept.

vCash
    Get ready folks. College football isn't happening. We are over 50 days away from the season starting and P5 conferences are already cancelling some of their games. There's a reason why.

Texas high school is on the verge of cancelling football as well. It's going to happen. The question is how quickly. I would just prepare yourselves so you aren't let down when it happens.
    Today's news of cancelling non-conference is step 1 i believe.
    next will be the news.. no fans or only very limited friends and family to attend. I would say that's step 2 and very likely to happen.
    Last and hopefully not, would be the cancellation of the season...
    Only other thing i can think of is pushing the start a month / shortening the season..

so much unknown.. and i think they want to see how things go with the nba and mlb to start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Today's news of cancelling non-conference is step 1 i believe.
    next will be the news.. no fans or only very limited friends and family to attend. I would say that's step 2 and very likely to happen.
    Last and hopefully not, would be the cancellation of the season...
    Only other thing i can think of is pushing the start a month / shortening the season..

so much unknown.. and i think they want to see how things go with the nba and mlb to start.
    As I said earlier- my friend who works for the Pelicans said that they are playing come hell or high water. And MLB isn't just having these scrimmages to go through the motions.

vCash

And I'll continue to preface this by saying I'm a conservative public school administrator.

So you get to sit at home while your government guaranteed paycheck keeps rolling in. That may explain you perspective just a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    So you get to sit at home while your government guaranteed paycheck keeps rolling in. That may explain you perspective just a bit.
    Yeah I've been working jackass. And I've been in the building. As a matter of fact two buildings since I got promoted during this. Nice try though. Just because school closes doesn't mean people stopped working, both from home and from school. I've been doing both this entire time. And that includes serving lunches to families at school during Covid while everyone else was at the house. I've been working at my new school outside of contract days so that we can get a handle on what's to come. I'll apologize for not working a couple weeks ago. My wife gave birth to our 3rd kid and I took off that week.

So next time you try and puff out your chest to try and prove a point and try to make yourself feel better by boxing someone into a corner, I would learn a little bit more about what the hell you are talking about first.

I think I see the problem here. There's too many people uneducated and not informed enough about what's actually going on and they are the ones screaming the loudest.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-10-2020 at 06:28 AM.

vCash
    Vaccine is 5 to 10 years away.... the virus will have run its course before that.

vCash
    Yeah I've been working jackass. And I've been in the building. As a matter of fact two buildings since I got promoted during this. Nice try though. Just because school closes doesn't mean people stopped working, both from home and from school. I've been doing both this entire time. And that includes serving lunches to families at school during Covid while everyone else was at the house. I've been working at my new school outside of contract days so that we can get a handle on what's to come. I'll apologize for not working a couple weeks ago. My wife gave birth to our 3rd kid and I took off that week.

So next time you try and puff out your chest to try and prove a point and try to make yourself feel better by boxing someone into a corner, I would learn a little bit more about what the hell you are talking about first.

I think I see the problem here. There's too many people uneducated and not informed enough about what's actually going on and they are the ones screaming the loudest.
    None of this refutes my point that you are secure and getting paid during this ongoing economic collapse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    None of this refutes my point that you are secure and getting paid during this ongoing economic collapse.
    That wasn't your point. You tried to say I wasn't working and got caught. Shame on you for trying to move the goal posts.

And tell me again what being able to work and receive my pay check has to do with anything I've said? Do you have to be in danger of being out of work to have thoughts on this topic? Or is it your opinion that it's easier for people to say things like I'm saying because I have a job in education, which means you mistakenly think I can't be fired from my job tomorrow if they want?