Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Welp, there goes the NC State game.

vCash
    Government employees getting fired, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Yeah I'm done with this conversation with you. It's clear you are extremely ignorant on this topic and have no clue what the hell you are talking about and are having to hide because you got exposed.

I would check yourself before you start talking about things publicly you don't actually know anything about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    I'm not going to speak for Met - but from the rest of us working in government - STFU.
    I know plenty of local government and state government people who got furloughed or had "workforce reductions" as they like to call them. Anytime there is an economic downturn it happens.
    School systems do it too.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Vaccine is 5 to 10 years away.... the virus will have run its course before that.
    Source? Here are a few that say otherwise:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/maryl...ainst-covid-19
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/german-...er-11594373400
    https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...eels-fantastic
    Last edited by hacker; 07-10-2020 at 07:31 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Yeah lung scarring doesn't just magically disappear. I would be pretty disappointed if I had to live with that the rest of my life. So I feel that's a pretty bad outcome no? At least I'm not dead!!

Again. Read the post. I didn't say anyone pressure anyone. The pressure is built in to the system of college football and if you've ever played or coached sports you would know that. Play or get cut/asked to leave at this level. Don't play and you are letting your team down or might get passed permanently on the depth chart. That has been built into sports forever.

I guess I'm just shocked honestly. I get it. Folks are inconvenienced being asked to wear masks. I'm a big fan of data too. Data says you can not have symptoms and still have the disease. You still thinking only about the players is the exact issue. If they go visit grandma during the week, or get it from someone in the dorm and pass it along to a coach that has an underlying medical issue, that's a problem. It's very short sighted to say the players are most likely not in danger so why is there an issue? Because they aren't the only ones affected. That's the part people refuse to wrap their minds around. It's not about you. It's about who else you might affect. That's a pretty simple concept.
    Name me one college football player that has been diagnosed with long term lung scarring. Just one. I can name you thousands who have died, suffered paralysis, cte, or chronic joint pain due to playing college football. Yet you are fine with playing in general In the face of those latter-described risks, but not ok playing while covid is around in the face of any covid-associated risks.

And I know first hand the pressure associated with college football. But that pressure, by definition, has to come from a source, either internal or external. It doesn't just magically occur. I'm not sure what you mean by it is "built into the system," but it has to have a source (i.e., internal, fans, coaches, family, media).

Finally, I do wear a mask, but I just think it is insulting to our players to say they aren't smart enough to make their own decisions. You think kylin is not smart enough not to go visit grandma on Wednesday, or that grandma isn't smart enough to say, no kylin you can't come visit (assuming that's what she wants). There are two issues here: is it, relative to normal circumstances, safe for the players' own health if they play? If yes, the second issue is whether you believe in personal accountability for them to act appropriately i.e., not force themselves to be around grandma against grandma's wishes. The first issue is data driven, the second is not.

vCash
    Very possible. But I hate to say this, and it will offend some people, but football isn't as important as the health and well being of a society. I know for some people they only live for football. Really bad way to live.

I get people love football. I love it too. Health of society is more important. There will always be folks willing to accept the risk. The question is are we able to mitigate the transmission to those who can't make that choice. Right now we can't. If it means no football one year, that sucks. But long term it's worth it.

And I hope folks don't start throwing out death statistics to justify themselves. There are still things that are really bad outcomes from this that aren't death and will be with you for the rest of your life. Saying "oh you most likely won't die from it" isn't exactly the comforting statement some think it is.
    I agree with you. However, we're going to forget about that in a couple of months when all this is over and a large majority of this state will go back to not working out, eating whatever they want, not caring about their health. If we TRULY care about the health of people then something needs to be done about that as well. And just like I believe should be done with this virus, it should be on that individual to take care of himself if he is able. Look I'm all for wanting to help and protect other people, but at a certain point you have to help and protect yourself. Relying on everyone else to do what's right in your eyes isn't the way to live. If you have to wear a mask when you go out, I respect that and I will do my best to stay more than 6 ft away from you. If you don't feel comfortable going out then I respect that decision you're making because you feel it's best for you. But you can't turn around get mad and b****and moan when someone is out living their life. They know the risk and they're taking it. And that's just my opinion.

vCash
    Silly question but can NCST legally just cancel our game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Depends on the terms of the contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    On SEC Radio they were talking about teams needing the money to keep their ADs going. That's why they schedule these games. It could get ugly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Name me one college football player that has been diagnosed with long term lung scarring. Just one. I can name you thousands who have died, suffered paralysis, cte, or chronic joint pain due to playing college football. Yet you are fine with playing in general In the face of those latter-described risks, but not ok playing while covid is around in the face of any covid-associated risks.

And I know first hand the pressure associated with college football. But that pressure, by definition, has to come from a source, either internal or external. It doesn't just magically occur. I'm not sure what you mean by it is "built into the system," but it has to have a source (i.e., internal, fans, coaches, family, media).

Finally, I do wear a mask, but I just think it is insulting to our players to say they aren't smart enough to make their own decisions. You think kylin is not smart enough not to go visit grandma on Wednesday, or that grandma isn't smart enough to say, no kylin you can't come visit (assuming that's what she wants). There are two issues here: is it, relative to normal circumstances, safe for the players' own health if they play? If yes, the second issue is whether you believe in personal accountability for them to act appropriately i.e., not force themselves to be around grandma against grandma's wishes. The first issue is data driven, the second is not.
    You tell me? Just take a look at society right now. People literally are NOT making those choices to stay home and protect others on a regular basis. So you can act holier then thou like you are standing up for our players. But if you look at how many kids their age are making poor choices, that's why I'm saying what I'm saying. The number of positive cases in the millennial group is blowing up. And if you just blanket trust them all to make the correct decision, then again, you are living in a fairy land that doesn't exist. Adults can't do it. I have nothing against our football players. But it's clear that people aren't doing what's best for others. I hate government interference. But people doing stupid shit is why they interject themselves and gain headway. There's a lot of people that don't know a damn thing about this virus. So personal choice has to be measured against information regarding things people don't know.

It's obvious you won't change your mind and neither will I. Obviously I was wrong in that every football player on every team should be trusted to make the correct societal choices regarding this virus. And the facts prove that because I've never once seen a college football player or any other college kid act irresponsibly. They all always 100% of the time make the correct decision based on the available information. So I just need to trust them more than regardless of this virus, not only will they not catch it, but there's no way for them to pass it to anyone else.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-10-2020 at 12:28 PM.

vCash
    You tell me? Just take a look at society right now. People literally are NOT making those choices to stay home and protect others on a regular basis. So you can act holier then thou like you are standing up for our players. But if you look at how many kids their age are making poor choices, that's why I'm saying what I'm saying. The number of positive cases in the millennial group is blowing up. And if you just blanket trust them all to make the correct decision, then again, you are living in a fairy land that doesn't exist.

It's obvious you won't change your mind and neither will I. Obviously I was wrong in that every football player on every team should be trusted to make the correct societal choices regarding this virus. And the facts prove that because I've never once seen a college football player or any other college kid act irresponsibly. They all always 100% of the time make the correct decision based on the information. So I just need to trust them more than regardless of this virus, not only will they not catch it, but there's no way for them to pass it to anyone else.
    They are to be trusted, unless it is to take an online Chem. test without cheating... At which point, all bets are off...***

vCash
    You tell me? Just take a look at society right now. People literally are NOT making those choices to stay home and protect others on a regular basis. So you can act holier then thou like you are standing up for our players. But if you look at how many kids their age are making poor choices, that's why I'm saying what I'm saying. The number of positive cases in the millennial group is blowing up. And if you just blanket trust them all to make the correct decision, then again, you are living in a fairy land that doesn't exist. Adults can't do it. I have nothing against our football players. But it's clear that people aren't doing what's best for others. I hate government interference. But people doing stupid shit is why they interject themselves and gain headway. There's a lot of people that don't know a damn thing about this virus. So personal choice has to be measured against information regarding things people don't know.

It's obvious you won't change your mind and neither will I. Obviously I was wrong in that every football player on every team should be trusted to make the correct societal choices regarding this virus. And the facts prove that because I've never once seen a college football player or any other college kid act irresponsibly. They all always 100% of the time make the correct decision based on the available information. So I just need to trust them more than regardless of this virus, not only will they not catch it, but there's no way for them to pass it to anyone else.
    The question is not whether you (or sankey) trust them to stay away from grandma and trust grandma to stay away from them. The question is whether you believe in the idea of personal accountability so as to allow them and grandma to make that decision.

Based on your logic (we can't trust people 18-22 to social distance/wear masks so we should not play football), then we also should not have on campus classes, attend in person class in elementary and high schoola, or play high school football.

vCash
    The question is not whether you (or sankey) trust them to stay away from grandma and trust grandma to stay away from them. The question is whether you believe in the idea of personal accountability so as to allow them and grandma to make that decision.

Based on your logic (we can't trust people 18-22 to social distance/wear masks so we should not play football), then we also should not have on campus classes, attend in person class in elementary and high schoola, or play high school football.
    You are dead on my friend

vCash

And guess what? I 100% agree that all of those things in your last paragraph should be canceled for the time being. As someone having to plan for the return of kids to school, I am extremely concerned about the prospect of me having to manage 1,000 middle schoolers in a building built for 800 and with double digit number of trailers. We should be online completely. The kids in the building for the most part would be fine if they did get it. For the most part. There's still risk for them if they have an undiagnosed underlying illness which isn't uncommon. But we are putting teachers at risk by making them be in that environment.

I'm also my church council chairperson and on our church reopening committee and guess what? My recommendation and the team's recommendation is to continue online worship with return to worship in the building not something we see in the foreseeable future. So yes you've have everything correct by that logic because it is, in fact, logical to not have those things right now.

vCash

To add to all of this, the players that have tested positive at universities didn't get it at school, they got it from home or wherever they were before they reported.... it's not like they are in more danger here than at home. That's pretty clear.

vCash
    And guess what? I 100% agree that all of those things in your last paragraph should be canceled for the time being. As someone having to plan for the return of kids to school, I am extremely concerned about the prospect of me having to manage 1,000 middle schoolers in a building built for 800 and with double digit number of trailers. We should be online completely. The kids in the building for the most part would be fine if they did get it. For the most part. There's still risk for them if they have an undiagnosed underlying illness which isn't uncommon. But we are putting teachers at risk by making them be in that environment.

I'm also my church council chairperson and on our church reopening committee and guess what? My recommendation and the team's recommendation is to continue online worship with return to worship in the building not something we see in the foreseeable future. So yes you've have everything correct by that logic because it is, in fact, logical to not have those things right now.
    Interesting. So your primary concern with respect to the virus is about teacher exposure, but kids for the most part will be fine. I don't mean this harsh (I'm sure you care about your students), but why are you in favor of doing what is best for the teachers instead of what is best for the students? Everything I've read, including from the teacher union in Nashville, acknowledge that is better for kids to attend school in person. And 67k pediatricians are on record as saying kids should be in school now.
    Last edited by confucius say; 07-10-2020 at 01:41 PM.

vCash
    Interesting. So your primary concern with respect to the virus is about teacher exposure, but kids for the most part will be fine. I don't mean this harsh (I'm sure you care about your students), but why are you in favor of doing what is best for the teachers instead of what is best for the students? Everything I've read, including from the teacher union in Nashville, acknowledge that is better for kids to attend school in person. And 67k pediatricians are on record as saying kids should be in school now.
    I realize internet arguments are not supposed to ever be resolved, but what kind of answer are you expecting for that question? Its not as simple as its better for kids to be in school, but if the teachers die, too bad right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I agree with you. However, we're going to forget about that in a couple of months when all this is over and a large majority of this state will go back to not working out, eating whatever they want, not caring about their health. If we TRULY care about the health of people then something needs to be done about that as well. And just like I believe should be done with this virus, it should be on that individual to take care of himself if he is able. Look I'm all for wanting to help and protect other people, but at a certain point you have to help and protect yourself. Relying on everyone else to do what's right in your eyes isn't the way to live. If you have to wear a mask when you go out, I respect that and I will do my best to stay more than 6 ft away from you. If you don't feel comfortable going out then I respect that decision you're making because you feel it's best for you. But you can't turn around get mad and b****and moan when someone is out living their life. They know the risk and they're taking it. And that's just my opinion.
    The issue is you living out your opinion is why we cannot open our economy back up, why we will have to do remote schools, and why we will not have sports this fall.

We need 90% of the population wearing a mask, social distancing and using good hygiene.

If we don't we will continue to overload our hospital capacity.

Those are the facts. Not my opinion. The facts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I realize internet arguments are not supposed to ever be resolved, but what kind of answer are you expecting for that question? Its not as simple as its better for kids to be in school, but if the teachers die, too bad right?
    An explanation as to why, on balance, it is more important to do what is best for teachers than do what is best for students.

Of course not. Teachers who are vulnerable shouldn't be there. Teachers should wear masks, or shields, and students (above second grade or so) should wear masks. There should be very limited interaction by teachers within 6 feet of students. Put smart measures in place, Like every other person who goes to work.

vCash
    Nashville just made the statement that they are starting online and will reassess about entering the building for Labor Day. So....are you sure that's the route you want to go? Because Nashville apparently feels it's not safe for students or teachers to be in the buildings. Is it better? Of course. Is it SAFER???? Right now the answer is no. Which is why Nashville schools just made the decision they did.

And obviously it looks like you just want to argue. Never said it was safe for kids. And I specifically said we shouldn't have school because it's not. But it's clear you don't want I have a discussion. You are out trying to make people like me look like bad people. I very clearly said there's still a risk to them. Very clearly. But you are cherry picking phrases and statements. The very data you said we should be using even says the adult teachers would be more at risk. So either you use the data you asked me to use or get the hell off your high horse and understand you don't know shit about what you are talking about.

It's very clear you are talking in circles to waste mine and others time. You, again, very clearly, don't want to use the very data you say we should use to understand the context of what I said (even though I very clearly said kids were still at risk). But keep cherry picking your data and your phrases to get them to say what you want them to say to make yourself feel better.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-10-2020 at 02:09 PM.