Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Welp, there goes the NC State game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    An explanation as to why, on balance, it is more important to do what is best for teachers than do what is best for students.

Of course not. Teachers who are vulnerable shouldn't be there. Teachers should wear masks, or shields, and students (above second grade or so) should wear masks. There should be very limited interaction by teachers within 6 feet of students. Put smart measures in place, Like every other person who goes to work.
    Would love an answer. Last time you spent a day in a school and watched it function?

Tell me how you social distance 14 trailers with 30 desks that have to touch each other in order to fit?

But we should still have football because that's safe? Do you see how little sense that makes?? Teachers should social distance from their students and students should social distance from each other. But football is ok even though they touch, breathe, and sweat on each other.

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Nashville just made the statement that they are starting online and will reassess about entering the building for Labor Day. So....are you sure that's the route you want to go? Because Nashville apparently feels it's not safe for students or teachers to be in the buildings. Is it better? Of course. Is it SAFER???? Right now the answer is no. Which is why Nashville schools just made the decision they did.

And obviously it looks like you just want to argue. Never said it was safe for kids. And I specifically said we shouldn't have school because it's not. But it's clear you don't want I have a discussion. You are out trying to make people like me look like bad people. I very clearly said there's still a risk to them. Very clearly. But you are cherry picking phrases and statements. The very data you said we should be using even says the adult teachers would be more at risk. So either you use the data you asked me to use or get the hell off your high horse and understand you don't know shit about what you are talking about.

It's very clear you are talking in circles to waste mine and others time. You, again, very clearly, don't want to use the very data you say we should use to understand the context of what I said (even though I very clearly said kids were still at risk). But keep cherry picking your data and your phrases to get them to say what you want them to say to make yourself feel better.
    I chose Nashville for that reason. They said it would be better for their kids to be in school, but chose to delay returning anyway. Their kids' best interest isn't at heart. They also are not taking a paycut for the time spent remoting.

You said kids were at risk if they had an underlying undiagnosed illness but for the most part would be fine. You then said, But we are putting teachers at risk. A fair reading of that is that you believe children have limited risk but mostly will be fine, but teachers are the bigger concern. I'm not condemning you for saying that, I agree with you, no doubt. I just believe that is all the more reason to allow kids/parents who want to be at school to be at school with teachers taking protective measures. You believe it is all the more reason to keep everybody home.

vCash
    Would love an answer. Last time you spent a day in a school and watched it function?

Tell me how you social distance 14 trailers with 30 desks that have to touch each other in order to fit?

But we should still have football because that's safe? Do you see how little sense that makes?? Teachers should social distance from their students and students should social distance from each other. But football is ok even though they touch, breathe, and sweat on each other.

Bold strategy Cotton, let's see if it pays off.
    February 2020.

There is no one size fits all approach. As Cohen says, FIO (figure it out). Kids are not going to social distance. If a parent wants their kid to always maintain social distance, they have the option of keeping their kid at home. But the overwhelming majority of parents don't expect that. There are millions of kids in camps and daycares right now not social distancing and all us parents know it.

Football is never safe. Never said it was.

Again, Where did I say students should social distance from each other? If you are a parent who expects that, you should absolutely keep your kid at home.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I chose Nashville for that reason. They said it would be better for their kids to be in school, but chose to delay returning anyway. Their kids' best interest isn't at heart. They also are not taking a paycut for the time spent remoting.

You said kids were at risk if they had an underlying undiagnosed illness but for the most part would be fine. You then said, But we are putting teachers at risk. A fair reading of that is that you believe children have limited risk but mostly will be fine, but teachers are the bigger concern. I'm not condemning you for saying that, I agree with you, no doubt. I just believe that is all the more reason to allow kids/parents who want to be at school to be at school with teachers taking protective measures. You believe it is all the more reason to keep everybody home.
    Better and safer are two different words. Everyone agrees kids are better off being in school under normal circumstances. I agree kids are better off in school under normal circumstances. But right now it's not safer. Circumstances sometimes change which means that thinking has to change.

There's 57 million kids in school in the US. Let's assume 1% of those kids get Covid (1% of Alabamians have tested positive for Covid so seems like a good starting spot). And let's assume .20% of them die (current death rate among school aged children in Alabama so seemed like a good place to start). That's 1,120 kids passing away from Covid across the country.

We have to ask ourselves if we are ok with that. If not, we don't need to be playing football or going to school.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-10-2020 at 03:22 PM.

vCash
    Better and safer are two different words. Everyone agrees kids are better off being in school under normal circumstances. I agree kids are better off in school under normal circumstances. But right now it's not safer. Circumstances sometimes change which means that thinking has to change.

There's 57 million kids in school in the US. Let's assume 1% of those kids get Covid (1% of Alabamians have tested positive for Covid so seems like a good starting spot). And let's assume .20% of them die (current death rate among school aged children in Alabama so seemed like a good place to start). That's 1,120 kids passing away from Covid across the country.

We have to ask ourselves if we are ok with that. If not, we don't need to be playing football or going to school.
    We have had 0 deaths in children aged 18 and below in MS with only 42 having to be hospitalized with 3210 positive cases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    We have had 0 deaths in children aged 18 and below in MS with only 42 having to be hospitalized with 3210 positive cases.
    Y'all are doing a hell of a lot better than we are. We've had over 10,000 positive cases between ages 0-24. We created 1,000 deaths a couple days ago and will crest 50,000 cases as a state tomorrow.

vCash
    Y'all are doing a hell of a lot better than we are. We've had over 10,000 positive cases between ages 0-24. We created 1,000 deaths a couple days ago and will crest 50,000 cases as a state tomorrow.
    It’s that 18-24 grouping that’s throwing your numbers up. We’ve had 10,460 positive test results for 29 year old and younger but 7 deaths total. That’s nearly a third of our cases in that age group but the death rate is .00067

vCash
    USC/Bama game canceled

vCash
    Get ready folks. College football isn't happening. We are over 50 days away from the season starting and P5 conferences are already cancelling some of their games. There's a reason why.

Texas high school is on the verge of cancelling football as well. It's going to happen. The question is how quickly. I would just prepare yourselves so you aren't let down when it happens.
    That is not close to being true. Dr. Susan Eliza, head of UIL, spoke to our association and indicated that we will start on aug 4th. If anything changes, and it can, there are contingency plans that will be put in place. None of them included cancellation of the season.

Please do not spread false rumors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopCoach View Post
    That is not close to being true. Dr. Susan Eliza, head of UIL, spoke to our association and indicated that we will start on aug 4th. If anything changes, and it can, there are contingency plans that will be put in place. None of them included cancellation of the season.

Please do not spread false rumors.
    I've got a buddy that's OL coach at a high school in Texas and he told me they're preparing to play as usual, but of course anything can happen in 2020 as has been proven time and time again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I've got a buddy that's OL coach at a high school in Texas and he told me they're preparing to play as usual, but of course anything can happen in 2020 as has been proven time and time again.
    That is a fact.

The one thing that can't be overlooked is that this is Texas and it's football.

vCash
    Here's the link to the tweet and there are thousands more like it:

https://twitter.com/texashsfootball/...850332166?s=21

All I was doing was repeating what blew up the day that was said. Of course schools are preparing like there will be football. They won't sit around and do nothing while they wait for a decision and are allowed to practice.

I think it's interesting that like with most other states, everyone has conflicting information. Shows that there isn't a consistent message hardly anywhere right now.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 07-12-2020 at 08:06 PM.

vCash

https://twitter.com/texashsfootball/...850332166?s=21

All I was doing was repeating what blew up the day that was said. Of course schools are preparing like there will be football. They won't sit around and do nothing while they wait for a decision and are allowed to practice.

I think it's interesting that like with most other states, everyone has conflicting information. Shows that there isn't a consistent message hardly anywhere right now.
    I will agree with you in that there is no consistent message on anything and conflicting reports are aplenty. I'm sure not an expert on Texas high school football just my buddy says they're playing, but with the way 2020 has been I wouldn't be surprised if I woke up with my head sewed to the carpet!

vCash

http://<b><i><u>https://twitter.com/...2</u></i></b>1

This Supt is a nutcase. He made similar remarks in March/April. It could get shut down before I get up in the morning, but no one in the UIL is panicking and getting ready to close the door.

btw, I'm no expert, but I've been coaching in Texas for almost 20 years and I'd bet my right nut that we play football this fall.