Thread: 5 star to HBCU

vCash

5 star to HBCU

We shall see if he sticks to his commitment. However, if he does and this becomes a trend. It will be interesting to see the adjustments in the world of college athletics.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ts-howard-ucla

Also..........

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2020...-bronny-james/

vCash
    Nothing will change if it's one or 2 kids because ultimately a school like Howard isn't going to challenge a blue blood in the tournament or change the balance of power.

If you start getting 5-10 kids doing it, that might start making a difference. But 1 or 2 wont move the needle. Ultimately these kids will realize that the bigger schools get them the things they need to be successful more than other schools do. It's a money game and always has been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Nothing will change if it's one or 2 kids because ultimately a school like Howard isn't going to challenge a blue blood in the tournament or change the balance of power.

If you start getting 5-10 kids doing it, that might start making a difference. But 1 or 2 wont move the needle. Ultimately these kids will realize that the bigger schools get them the things they need to be successful more than other schools do. It's a money game and always has been.
    I would be a bit surprised to see him stick to his commitment. I base that solely off the fact that the level of competition he'll be facing at Howard is probably a step down from the level of competition he is facing in high school. IMO I don't believe that would prepare him for the next level. Now, if he sticks with his commitment then that's great. It'd be refreshing to see a 5 star not commit and decommit 4 different times to keep the spotlight on himself. However, this doesn't change the balance of power in college basketball. They might shock someone in a Round 1 game of the tournament, but TEAMS will always win in college basketball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post

I'm not so sure about that. Howard isn't JSU or MS Valley. They have a strong, nationwide alumni and a provide a degree as marketable as most basketball blue bloods do. DC has become a much better place to be over the past decade, so if they got a good coach, I think they could absolutely make some noise. Might not have the money to become a legit blueblood, but I would think with a good coach, there would be enough athletes interested in going to a HBCU that Howard could be very dangerous. The biggest obstacle is I'm nto sure who is going to drop bags of cash at recruits' feet, so they're still going to have to get lucky on a big time recruit or two not caring about the money or finding some under the radar guys.

ETA: I wasn't thinking about the conference they are playing in. Yea, going to be hard for them to break out being in the equivalent of FCS. They'd need to go out and schedule a lot of good OOC games before they knew whether the recruits would show up.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 07-07-2020 at 12:29 PM.

vCash
    He will stick. He is a 2020 guy.

vCash
    I can see it being a trend in basketball for the 5 star guys. They will go to class the first semester, skip the next semester while they finish their freshman season on the court and then declare for the draft. So all in all it's what, 9 months of his life?

vCash
    The MEAC is falling apart, and Howard will likely be in a better conference within a couple years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    The MEAC is falling apart, and Howard will likely be in a better conference within a couple years.
    IF they can get to a better conference, there's really no reason they can't be a big time player. They catch lightning in a bottle like George Mason or VCU, and they could use it as a spring board to being a consistent player. Not expecting it to happen, but they just need to get lucky with a coach.