Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Cleveland Indians are out too

vCash
    So what names are legal??? I can shoot holes in damn near all of them. At some point it's too much. At least Half the teams in every league have a name that can have a mascot that is "offensive". This is nuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    So what names are legal??? I can shoot holes in damn near all of them. At some point it's too much. At least Half the teams in every league have a name that can have a mascot that is "offensive". This is nuts.
    I'm telling you man teams are gonna have to be named after numbers. It's the only way unless numbers offend some physicists or math guys somewhere. And I'm only half kidding.

vCash
    The free market?? Wtf. Hahaha. Typical liberal comment and total bullshit in this case for sure.
    Yes, the Indians and MLB apparently feel that they will make more money by changing than they will by keeping the name. It's possible that they've misread the market, but it's not the government forcing them to do this.

vCash
    They're all legal. Apparently the Indians (or MLB, who may be forcing it) think they can make more money by using a different name. If they thought they would make less money, they would keep the name.

vCash
    Cardinals is offensive to Catholics. I'm sad.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Cardinals is offensive to Catholics. I'm sad.**
    Don't forget about the padres lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    And the Minnesota Twins is offensive to us without a sibling. They should be stripped of their World Series win. For that and Hrbek pulling Gant off the bag. Hrbek. Who starts their name with three consonants? That should be disqualifying right there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    They're all legal. Apparently the Indians (or MLB, who may be forcing it) think they can make more money by using a different name. If they thought they would make less money, they would keep the name.
    You are both right and wrong.

MLB and the owners are looking at this because they don?t want the PR hit and this may take some revenue hit.

But this isn?t the work of the free market.

For example let?s say our PETA friends suddenly got a youth driven surge up to represent 5-10% of the population. The media starts to back them and starts to run constants stories on the harmful effects of meat. Commentators shame people who come out in support of meat. Some lose their jobs over pro-meat comments. Protest happen outside meat plants and fast food chains. Some are burned down. Politicians promote extra taxes on meat.

The main fast food chains suddenly start talking about removing all meat products from their menus.

Is that the free market at work?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    And the Minnesota Twins is offensive to us without a sibling. They should be stripped of their World Series win. For that and Hrbek pulling Gant off the bag. Hrbek. Who starts their name with three consonants? That should be disqualifying right there.
    Man, I'm still pissed about that

vCash
    Hey bartender Jobu needs a refill!
    Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    You are both right and wrong.

MLB and the owners are looking at this because they don?t want the PR hit and this may take some revenue hit.

But this isn?t the work of the free market.

For example let?s say our PETA friends suddenly got a youth driven surge up to represent 5-10% of the population. The media starts to back them and starts to run constants stories on the harmful effects of meat. Commentators shame people who come out in support of meat. Some lose their jobs over pro-meat comments. Protest happen outside meat plants and fast food chains. Some are burned down. Politicians promote extra taxes on meat.

The main fast food chains suddenly start talking about removing all meat products from their menus.

Is that the free market at work?
    Assuming they're following the money, or at least believe they are, and the government isn't forcing it, then yes.

And if they're not, the free market will take care of it when the shareholders fire the executives in favor of pro-meat ones, and in the meantime new meat restaurants would open.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    "The mob" is just the free market though. If enough people decided that they were offended by the name Walmart, to the point where it was affecting profits and stock price, Walmart would change its name.

If the Indians change their name, they're following the money. I find it very far-fetched that they would make the wrong financial situation here - there's too much money at stake, and it's not like MLB executives are known to be a bunch of emotional bleeding hearts.
    While what you are saying makes complete sense and should be how businesses do business, many are not and it’s crazy to me. ESPN ratings continue to drop because they continue to push the “woke” brand down their middle aged white republican customer’s throats. Alienating half of your customers is not a good business model and people continue to do it for some reason. Keeping politics out of other areas has always been the correct decision from a business standpoint no matter which way you lean personally.
    Last edited by Jarius; 07-04-2020 at 12:08 PM.

vCash
    See I believe they are following the cancel culture which doesn't really represent the mass market which means it's a manipulated market and the more that creeps in the more you start to get toward dictated state which isn't good.

There's probably not enough people that care so much about this name that there will be any signficant blowback (much like the state flag) and it will be mostly forgotten in 6 months but if it was true free market then this would be fan led IMO

Banned
    vCash
    It seems we have a few that think if the main narrative is against their views then it's somehow oppression and not the free market at work.

At this point I'm just laughing at the hilarity of what it is. Bunch of idiots made it this far in life without the ability to detach their bias and look objectively at any issue. Newsflash McFly, the free market means that businesses can make their own decisions. Laissez Faire. Just because YOU don't agree with their decisions and motivations does NOT make it suddenly not the free market anymore. If they are wrong from a business standpoint they will correct course or die off. Laissez les bons tempe rouler.

Also: Field of Dreams is the best baseball movie and anyone who has a different opinion is wrong. Major League would be removed for the racist portrayal of Cerrano before having the name Indians in it. The fan portrayal of Indians isn't near as bad. It will never get to the point where they take time to censor out chief wahoo like swastikas in germany. They'd just not show it in that case. If you're worried about it going away, this is America. Buy that shit. Download it. Look who our football coach is. Go do him proud, Pirate. Never have to worry about your culture and movies going away then.

It's when we start coming into homes and burning the books / movies down that we should be afraid, not when people stop glorifying things they feel are racist (and you don't).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Man, I'm still pissed about that
    Me too! I don't think I'll ever get over that one! Or Lonnie Smith getting deaked In game 7 by knoblauch. He could've scored on that double if he'd been watching his third base coach instead of knoblauch. Braves win game 7 1-0 in 9 innings if he scores! I can still see him in my nightmares getting hung up at second lol

vCash
    What is a Free Market?
    The free market is an economic system based on supply and demand with little or no government control. It is a summary description of all voluntary exchanges that take place in a given economic environment. Free markets are characterized by a spontaneous and decentralized order of arrangements through which individuals make economic decisions. Based on its political and legal rules, a country's free market economy may range between very large or entirely black market.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
    A free market is one where voluntary exchange and the laws of supply and demand provide the sole basis for the economic system, without government intervention.
    A key feature of free markets is the absence of coerced (forced) transactions or conditions on transactions.
    While no pure free market economies actually exist, and all markets are in some ways constrained, economists who measure the degree of freedom in markets have found a generally positive relationship between free markets and measures of economic well being.

Once again I'm not saying the Cleveland franchise can't do whatever they want to do but it seems at least somewhat forced. That said I don't know how offensive people find the term "Indians". I totally get Redskins as while I think it would be funny people might not like teams called the "Pale Faces" and defiantly not something like "Negros" so I honestly can't believe it hasn't been changed before now.

I haven't looked but is Indian Cycles getting some push, etc.?

vCash
    LGBT-LMNOP will be after the Packers before long.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Awesome!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I think they should strip them of the 1987 World Series as well. Cardinals had to play without Jack Clark.

vCash
    Me too! I don't think I'll ever get over that one! Or Lonnie Smith getting deaked In game 7 by knoblauch. He could've scored on that double if he'd been watching his third base coach instead of knoblauch. Braves win game 7 1-0 in 9 innings if he scores! I can still see him in my nightmares getting hung up at second lol
    In fairness to Lonnie he was probably using cocaine.