Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Looks like the Cleveland Indians are out too

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    What about the Florida State Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, and the KC Chiefs? I suppose name changes are coming for them as well? I mean certainly they aren't gonna end it at the Cleveland Indians and Washington Redskins..right?
    If you can't see the difference between derogatory names given by oppressors and names that were actually used by Native Americans to symbolize power and strength, then that's on you for being wrongly concerned.

You're missing the point completely. The goal is not to erase native American representation. The goal is to erase positive support for words with negative connotations. If you can't dissociate the difference then you are the one with the issue. Tell me, do you think cracker and caucasian have the same connotations?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    If you can't see the difference between derogatory names given by oppressors and names that were actually used by Native Americans to symbolize power and strength, then that's on you for being wrongly concerned.

You're missing the point completely. The goal is not to erase native American representation. The goal is to erase positive support for words with negative connotations. If you can't dissociate the difference then you are the one with the issue. Tell me, do you think cracker and caucasian have the same connotations?
    I laugh at cracker. Never has bothered me.

vCash

You don't really think I was really suggesting they keep eliminating names do you?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    You don't really think I was really suggesting they keep eliminating names do you?
    No. You suggested that you had no idea where a line would be drawn because you didn't get nuance.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Why does there have to be a line established by us. To me, the only person that could establish a line in this case is maybe the commish of each sport. It is the owners that will have to stand on the line. If the cost to maintain the line is too great, the line will move. Time and pressure will win.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I know you worked hard for this gotcha moment, really REALLY hard. But you're not even close. There is still groups within LGBTQ+ that don't have equal rights and ability to live freely. I mean ffs the president last week proposed a rule to allow federally funded homeless shelters to turn away trans / non-gender conforming people. Like what the hell. It was this year that SCOTUS just finally decided you can't discriminate on sexuality and the ilk. Clearly society treats them as lesser.

White straight males are "the man". You attack them, you are punching up. That's just how society is layered. The only comic that I can even think of that nationally gets away with punching down is Dave Chappelle towards "the Ts."
    Dave Chapell
    Joey Diaz
    Tim Dillon
    Andrew Shulz

There are 4 big names off of the top of my head that have punched down.

But hey, if you want to be Mr White Straight Male telling all of the minorities how they should feel and what they should be offended by be my guest. And that wasn't a "got ya" moment it was the truth. You're treating them differently from White Straight Males. You are basically saying they are too soft to handle jokes about stereotypes.

Every race/creed/religion/skin color etc. has stereotypes and all have had jokes made about those stereotypes. It is ok to laugh at yourself that is what makes comedy great.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Dave Chapell
    Joey Diaz
    Tim Dillon
    Andrew Shulz

There are 4 big names off of the top of my head that have punched down.

But hey, if you want to be Mr White Straight Male telling all of the minorities how they should feel and what they should be offended by be my guest. And that wasn't a "got ya" moment it was the truth. You're treating them differently from White Straight Males. You are basically saying they are too soft to handle jokes about stereotypes.

Every race/creed/religion/skin color etc. has stereotypes and all have had jokes made about those stereotypes. It is ok to laugh at yourself that is what makes comedy great.
    Chappelle is the only one of the 4 there that's even worth mention. Which I already did. If you consider those "big names".... yikes at your sphere of influence.

"And that wasn't a got ya moment it was the truth."..... so you think it was a got ya moment. You are equating me recognizing that some groups are treated worse than others and have fewer rights than others as equal to thinking they are lesser. No, I'm acknowledging the disparity in the system. How you are struggling to differentiate those two things is troubling. It speaks to a frail ego that can't accept the reality that all men aren't born into equality in this country.

No one is saying comedy can't be funny or well-timed if it's "inappropriate." The point was it was neither funny nor well-timed on top of the inappropriateness. Add to it that it was a punch down and it was a whole barrel of bad. The joke in a vacuum was lackluster and poorly executed. LGBTQNOP makes more sense than doubling up on saying the L. The whole joke there is built around L[GBTQ]NOP with the brackets replacing the turn of the M sound from L to N-O-P.

Bad execution. Punch down. Irrelevant. 3 cardinal sins of comedy. You can get away w/ 1 of those 3 if the other 2 are top tier generally.

Sorry to break it to you but you only laughed at the joke because it was making fun of a group you like to bully. It's hard to accept that you did a bigoted action, that's ok. Just be better next time and acknowledge your bigotry and don't act so hastily on it.

vCash
    Chappelle is the only one of the 4 there that's even worth mention. Which I already did. If you consider those "big names".... yikes at your sphere of influence.

"And that wasn't a got ya moment it was the truth."..... so you think it was a got ya moment. You are equating me recognizing that some groups are treated worse than others and have fewer rights than others as equal to thinking they are lesser. No, I'm acknowledging the disparity in the system. How you are struggling to differentiate those two things is troubling. It speaks to a frail ego that can't accept the reality that all men aren't born into equality in this country.

No one is saying comedy can't be funny or well-timed if it's "inappropriate." The point was it was neither funny nor well-timed on top of the inappropriateness. Add to it that it was a punch down and it was a whole barrel of bad. The joke in a vacuum was lackluster and poorly executed. LGBTQNOP makes more sense than doubling up on saying the L. The whole joke there is built around L[GBTQ]NOP with the brackets replacing the turn of the M sound from L to N-O-P.

Bad execution. Punch down. Irrelevant. 3 cardinal sins of comedy. You can get away w/ 1 of those 3 if the other 2 are top tier generally.

Sorry to break it to you but you only laughed at the joke because it was making fun of a group you like to bully. It's hard to accept that you did a bigoted action, that's ok. Just be better next time and acknowledge your bigotry and don't act so hastily on it.
    I'm sorry you have a poor taste in comedy if you think those guys aren't legit. How about the following:

George Carlin--famous for punching down and possibly the best comic to ever live

You obviously haven't studied critical race theory which is funny because you present a lot of their talking points and yet disagree that you are in fact a part of the problem.

I have zero issues admitting that people are born into different socioeconomic situations and that some things aren't fair. I also have no issue admitting that some are treated worse than others or that I was fortunate to be adopted by a family that set me up to be successful. I can admit my privilege without issue or argument. I have certainly benefited from my starting point. That has nothing, literally zero to do with comedy.

I fail to see how that pertains to comedy?

I actually didn't find the joke funny, thanks for assuming though you have proven to be good at that as you have no idea what my belief system is. I'm simply defending the right to make said joke. Some will find it funny and some won't just as I like some comics comedy and I don't like others.

Please show me examples of bullying LGBTQ? I have several family members that fall into the category and one of my best friends is gay. He would be happy to tell you that I don't bully or belittle anyone and he makes fun of LGBTQ stereotypes all of the time. If he isn't offended and finds it funny why should I feel the need to tell him he should be offended like you are doing?

I have no issue with how anyone chooses to live their life as long as they are happy and fulfilled, I am happy for them. I don't see any issue with cracking stereotype jokes because every group has a stereotype. You basically just slapped the southern stereotype on me without knowing a single thing about me and that is why we can't have quality discussion today.
    Last edited by BB30; 07-07-2020 at 12:18 PM.