Thread: Diamond Dogs in Round Rock Classic in 2022?

vCash

Diamond Dogs in Round Rock Classic in 2022?

The Round Rock Classic baseball tournament has been tagging @HailStateBB in some Twitter and FB posts in the last week or so. Has anyone heard whether the Diamond Dawgs might be playing down here in 2022?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will spend opening weekend 2021 at the new Rangers Stadium, but I would prefer another 4-team tournament in a minor league ballpark over a six-team tournament in a major league stadium (and not just because the Dell Diamond in Round Rock is 20 minutes from my house).
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    All I have to say is we changed our flag and we better start getting good shit here.

vCash
    I don't know. I went to the Shriner's Classic a couple of years ago and it was awesome. I had a great time.

Most minor league ballparks are pretty nice.

It would be cool if there was some kind of tournament in Pearl or Biloxi. Do something like the old Winn-Dixie Showdown format where you have Mississippi vs. another state like Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, etc.

vCash
    I wish they would do more at Trustmark. Why not do like Frisco ... Bring in 2 MS teams, and 2 Power 5 teams ... even though Frisco had SHS when we were there.

vCash

I wish we would have a MS tourney

I wish we had a MS tourney involving MSU, USM and OM. We play high level baseball in this state. You could play on the coast. The 3 MS teams play each team invited one time. For example, bring in Florida State, Minnesota, and Cal St Fullerton. With 3 games each day, you get the early slot one day, second slot one day, and night slot the remaining day.

That would be awesome. I've always wished we would try to do something like that. The atmosphere would be intense too. The crowds would be huge and that minor league park is a fun place to watch a game.
    Last edited by hp22; 07-03-2020 at 01:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hp22 View Post
    I wish we had a MS tourney involving MSU, USM and OM. We play high level baseball in this state. You could play on the coast. The 3 MS teams play each team invited one time. For example, bring in Florida State, Minnesota, and Cal St Fullerton. With 3 games each day, you get the early slot one day, second slot one day, and night slot the remaining day.

That would be awesome. I've always wished we would try to do something like that. The atmosphere would be intense too. The crowds would be huge and that minor league park is a fun place to watch a game.
    That would be an amazing atmosphere. I feel certain you'd have no problem getting some high level programs to come play in that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    That would be an amazing atmosphere. I feel certain you'd have no problem getting some high level programs to come play in that.
    I don't know why the M-Braves or Shuckers haven't explored doing it. Maybe the flag? Who knows?

But even if it's three mid majors having MSU, Ole Miss, and USM play a triple header on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday would probably draw at least 8K per game apiece assuming good weather just on the strength of the local teams alone. If I were the Shuckers I would definitely do it since the M-Braves have a stronghold on the Governor's Cup and MSU/USM and Ole Miss/USM. They may have to play a game on Thursday to work around church and curfews on Sunday- but it's definitely very doable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't know why the M-Braves or Shuckers haven't explored doing it. Maybe the flag? Who knows?

But even if it's three mid majors having MSU, Ole Miss, and USM play a triple header on a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday would probably draw at least 8K per game apiece assuming good weather just on the strength of the local teams alone. If I were the Shuckers I would definitely do it since the M-Braves have a stronghold on the Governor's Cup and MSU/USM and Ole Miss/USM. They may have to play a game on Thursday to work around church and curfews on Sunday- but it's definitely very doable.
    As a fan, I'd prefer Biloxi. I'm a big fan of the setup down there and would stay 3-4 days and make a quick weekend trip of it. I bet you would get rid of around 20,000+ tickets per day on average. That's 60,000 tickets sold on the weekend.

I think a team like Michigan or Indiana would jump at the chance to play an early March weekend on the MS coast. You can always find a good major too if you that route. That said, I think you could get a big name team or three.