Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: George Washington/Thomas Jefferson - 4th of July ... Drawing the line??

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    The line is different for everyone, but I personally don't hold with desecrating and taking down statues of Washington and Jefferson. They were certainly complicated historical figures like all historical figures are. But the statues of them weren't put up to glamorize the fact that they owned slaves. Confederate statues I can see taking down because those statues were put up as a middle finger, and those people did actually promote slavery.
    Bingo.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Most of us in the south are in that same boat. My 3x great grandfather raised a Calvary unit in Missouri, and end up a Captain under Quantrill. I'm pretty sure he owned slaves. After the war, he was a Jim Crow era legislator in Arkansas. I think part of the hard reckoning that we have to have with ourselves is to come to terms with respecting the memory of family while at the same time understanding what they were doing was wrong. You don't have to disown them, just recognize how that history impacts us today.
    My family lineage came from Germany. I am sure some of them fought for the nazis. Screw them.
    Who really gives a shit about our family members that fought for something 160 years ago. Its not like they raised you.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    No, not really.
    This is one of those "ever who wins ends up on the right side of history type thingies"....

It's my understanding that Sherman made war so brutal in an effort to end it sooner...

And, as a former Marine, I can totally dig it... That being said, an "SOB" is an "SOB", regardless of what side of history one is on, IMO...

However, if one's conscious is clear, I say "light em up".....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I'll "one up you"... in Texico, a statue of Stevie Ray Vaughn was torn down...

Now, that's some solid "Wokeness", right there....
    Now that's a reason to go to war lol!

vCash
    My way at look8ng at our history is this. Shit happened. They did some terrible things. It has nothing to do with me. I owe nothing to no one. And most importantly, just because there are injustices happening today to african americans, does not mean it has anything negative to say about me. That is unless I do not stand up with them to fight for equality, then it is a little on me by my inaction.

Memorial and statues have to be reviewed one at a time. The reason they are up has to be reviewed. Stephen Lee is a great example. His bust is on the drill field because he was the first president of the university. His plaque does include LT General of the CSA. The CSA part is not the reason for it, and I would agree that it should be removed from his location.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    My family lineage came from Germany. I am sure some of them fought for the nazis. Screw them.
    Who really gives a shit about our family members that fought for something 160 years ago. Its not like they raised you.
    Do you feel as though you owe Jews "reparations" for what your ancestors did?

No.

vCash
    Y'all excuse me... gotta go check on my weed patch, meth lab and hopefully spotlight and kill some beavers... brb

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Sherman was a SOB...No matter who?s side he was on.
    He sho was.

vCash
    This is one of those "ever who wins ends up on the right side of history type thingies"....

It's my understanding that Sherman made war so brutal in an effort to end it sooner...

And, as a former Marine, I can totally dig it... That being said, an "SOB" is an "SOB", regardless of what side of history one is on, IMO...

However, if one's conscious is clear, I say "light em up".....
    I suppose you're right here, given that just about every successful military commander was probably a giant SOB, ex. Patton, Teddy, Eisenhower, MacAuthur, Grant, et al.

To your other point about "who wins the war", there's a really good documentary from 2003 titled "The Fog of War", which focuses on Robert S. McNamara, and his service as Sec. of Defense. In the doc he talks about how if the US had ended up losing WWII we would've most likely been brought up on war crimes for our fire bombing of Japanese civilians, which we were doing in droves prior to dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

vCash
    Y'all excuse me... gotta go check on my weed patch, meth lab and hopefully spotlight and kill some beavers... brb
    You and your sis still makin' murkins out of those beaver pelts y'all skinnin'?**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Now that's a reason to go to war lol!
    Na...pretty sure Justin Bieber is a better guitar player....**

vCash
    I suppose you're right here, given that just about every successful military commander was probably a giant SOB, ex. Patton, Teddy, Eisenhower, MacAuthur, Grant, et al.

To your other point about "who wins the war", there's a really good documentary from 2003 titled "The Fog of War", which focuses on Robert S. McNamara, and his service as Sec. of Defense. In the doc he talks about how if the US had ended up losing WWII we would've most likely been brought up on war crimes for our fire bombing of Japanese civilians, which we were doing in droves prior to dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
    Saw it... it was outstanding.

The US went all "Sherman" on the Axis... the US actually "spared" Hiroshima and Nagasaki from the incendiary ordnance (as I understand) so we could gauge the effectiveness of atomic weapons...

ETA: were "incendiaries" outlawed in 1944ish??? I thought that happened later... not that it really matters...

when assholes are assholes; refer to my "light em up" quote...
    Last edited by TUSK; 07-03-2020 at 12:01 AM.

No.

vCash
    You and your sis still makin' murkins out of those beaver pelts y'all skinnin'?**
    Well, she came in to town for my b'day recently... seems pissed at her ole man a bit...

You better not cock block me, asshole!****

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Some "draw the line" needs to start happening IMO. I kinda get some irritated if someone messes with statues of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson or messes with 4th of July holiday.

And something I didn't know till the other day .. there are actually statues of Lenin in the US?? WTF??
    The line is about to be drawn! I get the argument about CERTAIN things (Not EVERY DAMN THING), but its getting to a point where enough is enough. As you stated, now I'M about to start taking offense. Started with the activist, if you want to call him that, asking for all statutes of Jesus to be taken down ... but only if they resembled a White Jesus. It's sort of hard not to start taking this BS personal. I'm not trying to be ugly, or start anything, but the line has been drawn!
    Last edited by PKADogs55; 07-03-2020 at 12:08 AM.

vCash
    Do you feel as though you owe Jews "reparations" for what your ancestors did?
    I'm still waiting on reparations from Ikea for what the Vikings did to my British ancestors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm still waiting on reparations from Ikea for what the Vikings did to my British ancestors.
    Todd .. as always, voice of reason. And yes, I completely agree.

vCash
    Exactly... I feel as though my white trash, redneck brethren (and myself) have been similarly oppressed...

Can I get an "Oppression EBT Card"? I could really use 100# of yeast and some copper line...

ETA: I tee'd that one up for Beardo
    Last edited by TUSK; 07-03-2020 at 12:25 AM.

No.

vCash
    Na...pretty sure Justin Bieber is a better guitar player....**
    You tryin to trigger me man****

vCash
    Well Dang I guess I owe you man. I can trace my paternal line back to Rollo the first lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PKADogs55 View Post
    Todd .. as always, voice of reason. And yes, I completely agree.
    I'm sure there are many on message boards that disagree with this. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Well Dang I guess I owe you man. I can trace my paternal line back to Rollo the first lol.
    I'll be looking forward to my check in the mail.**