Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What?s your favorite MSU possession or piece of memorabilia?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash

What?s your favorite MSU possession or piece of memorabilia?

I have a state helmet from the late 80s. It?s the one we had when Don Smith played. I personally love that style. I have the pic as my avatar. I also have a Mississippi State branded football with Sleepy?s autograph. I got it when I was a kid and can remember the excitement of getting it. What about you guys?

vCash
    I have a brick from Old Main that was given to me as a gift when I spoke to a faculty association on campus several years ago. Considering that my grandfather lived there when he was at State in the 30s, that's got to be my favorite piece of memorabilia.

vCash
    About 2 feet of goal post from the 1999 Egg Bowl.

vCash
    I've got Maroon and White painted grass and dirt from the south end zone me and my son dug up after we beat Arky in '98 to clinch the west. That was a wild scene and so glad I was there with my family! He was 4 at the time and my oldest daughter was 2 months old.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I've got Maroon and White painted grass and dirt from the south end zone me and my son dug up after we beat Arky in '98 to clinch the west. That was a wild scene and so glad I was there with my family! He was 4 at the time and my oldest daughter was 2 months old.
    I was too busy swinging from the North Endzone goal post to think about grabbing some grass LOL.

I have 6 cool MSU rocks glasses from the 60s that a dear friend gave me. They were her fathers, he played basketball in the early 60s and got them for graduation.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I was too busy swinging from the North Endzone goal post to think about grabbing some grass LOL.

I have 6 cool MSU rocks glasses from the 60s that a dear friend gave me. They were her fathers, he played basketball in the early 60s and got them for graduation.
    I love these kind of threads. Amazing the different pieces of memorabilia we all have and the memories associated with them. And I almost got hit with the south end zone goal posts when they came down that day lol.

vCash
    Johnthan Banks gave my daughter his gloves after the Music City Bowl. He was the second best DB ever to play at East Webster***

vCash
    Mine was acquired on MSU campus, but has no markings tying it to MSU. I was married in the Chapel and have my wedding license. I have many autographs and other memorabilia but none measure up to getting married in the Chapel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgman View Post
    Mine was acquired on MSU campus, but has no markings tying it to MSU. I was married in the Chapel and have my wedding license. I have many autographs and other memorabilia but none measure up to getting married in the Chapel.
    Man that's awesome!

vCash
    I need to take a picture sometime but I have a quilt my grandmother made in 1980 for me (I was 5). It's maroon and white checkerboard with a big (now retro) bulldog in the middle. It says

"I was there.
    Miss. State 6
    Alabama 3"

It's literally one of a kind and I still have it.

Sort of like this bully:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I need to take a picture sometime but I have a quilt my grandmother made in 1980 for me (I was 5). It's maroon and white checkerboard with a big (now retro) bulldog in the middle. It says

"I was there.
    Miss. State 6
    Alabama 3"

It's literally one of a kind and I still have it.

Sort of like this bully:

Thats cool! I still have a t shirt that says "I was there when we beat the Bear". Nov 1, 1980

vCash
    I got a pennant signed by the 85 baseball team after they won the regional to go to Omaha. I was a 10 year old kid running around getting autographs from all them, and looking at them like they were rockstars.

vCash
    My Diploma from 1994....and a Dak signed game worn helmet.

vCash
    My freshman year (1995-1996) we made the Final Four. For the last home game of the year, we played Auburn. I went with an RA from Rice Hall who suggested we go to the players area where they go after the game. She said we needed to get them to autograph something, so I looked at my flag and thought this will work. At the time it was just something that hung in my window at Hightower hall. Then we went on to get to the Final Four. I hung it up and when the women's team made the final four, I didn't know they were doing a signing at SBW and missed them. The next year, I got them, but I was missing the seniors from the year before. One of those interned at my work for a while and I asked her if she would get the others to sign. She got 2 others to sign and brought me a National Finalist basketball with a towel and her signing class poster. So, it's gotta be my 2' x 4' walking bulldog flag autographed by our Final Four teams. I have requested it be in my casket with me, whenever that day comes.

I would say 2nd would be my cowbell that I took to SBW in 2016 and got Fred Ross and DeRunnya Wilson (RIP) to sign on the back and Dak to sign on the front would be my #2. That was my cowbell I had had since either my sophomore or junior year in college, so I've had it a long time. When I got them to autograph it, it went to my display case and I had to get a new one.

vCash
    Hat signed by the entire Final Four team

vCash
    My #1 is a basketball that has the 1996 Final Four logo on it (no autographs and I have no idea where I got it). 2nd is probably a football that I won in a raffle, signed by the 1998 football team.

vCash
    I have a felt scarf or table runner or something that we found in my Grandmother's cedar chest after she died. It has Miss. A&M embroidered on it in white with a maroon background. In the middle is a leather patch of the university crest that says A&M. It is from the 1920's, and some beau my Grandma had gave it to her, my Grandfather never attended. She attended MUW, and the MSU guys used to take the train over to Columbus apparently.

Also have a framed MSU 6 Bama 3 T shirt. I am looking forward to buying my son a MSU class ring next Spring though.
    Last edited by IMissJack; 07-02-2020 at 09:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    I have a state helmet from the late 80s. It?s the one we had when Don Smith played. I personally love that style. I have the pic as my avatar. I also have a Mississippi State branded football with Sleepy?s autograph. I got it when I was a kid and can remember the excitement of getting it. What about you guys?
    My first cowbell.

vCash
    My late SuperDawg Father passed away in 1995. He worked at night at Blue Bell in NE MS and commuted to State for day classes with my sister & I at home with Mom in the late '50's attempting to get his degree at State. Had to give up this lifestyle when I was about 4 and my sister was 2 to become a Farm Bureau Insurance agent, ( Many FB agents were hardcore State guys in these years and helped start the Bulldog Club and were season ticket holders). Thanks to his success and love, we have kept 8 to 12 season tickets to this day.

My three favorites:
    1. Cowbells he had made for my brother-in-law and I a couple of Christmas's before he died. Real cowbells from Iuka Hardware with a steel pipe welded to it,and hand painted. Used to have Jackie and Joe Lee Dunn's autographs on mine, but "rang" away! Has been repaired many times and still used today. Always sneaked in when the SEC banned them 9-1 all those years. Very loud!!

2. An engraved MSU Brick with his name & Superdawg that is on his grave marker.

3. An early '60's MSU pennant that I gave to my friend "Strat" as I wanted more State fans to see it. Strat had it framed and put it on the office wall behind his desk. Dad probably got that for me at my first game with him against Memphis State in 1963.

Hail State, Hail the State Family, and Hail great MSU memories!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 07-02-2020 at 10:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    I have a felt scarf or table runner or something that we found in my Grandmother's cedar chest after she died. It has Miss. A&M embroidered on it in white with a maroon background. In the middle is a leather patch of the university crest that says A&M. It is from the 1920's, and some beau my Grandma had gave it to her, my Grandfather never attended. She attended MUW, and the MSU guys used to take the train over to Columbus apparently.

Also have a framed MSU 6 Bama 3 T shirt. I am looking forward to buying my son a MSU class ring next Spring though.
    Back in the day Columbus must have been the place to be. Perhaps the liquor laws were better or something. I say this because my aunt went to Alabama in the 60's and they used to take the train to Columbus to party as well.