Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coach34 and others

vCash
    This is what I'm hearing in Jones county. Schools may not open here until September and the first semester will finish at Thanksgiving and spring semester will start in January. This is tenative but looks like what's going to happen here.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    There were school districts that took the grades at the time students were ordered to stay at home for the remainder of the year. Nothing was required and in some cases, no or very little additional work was assigned. Not just very small schools either. I know a 4A school that sent kids home and the students did nothing the rest of the year.
    That is basically what Rankin County did. If the kid did nothing at all their grades after three 9 weeks was their final grade. If they made an effort and did most of the distance learning assignments they were able to raise that grade a few points. Again, it was glorified busy work. There wasnt much LEARNING going on.

And with teachers out until August 1, there is no way public school districts are going to be able to offer anything more substantial than what they did before. Kids need the presence of a teacher and hands on learning that they will never get over the computer with worksheets and busy reading assignments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It happened in all the Jones County schools. West Jones is 5A and it happened here.
    There you go. We have to find a way for students to learn and not get further behind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    There you go. We have to find a way for students to learn and not get further behind.
    Absolutely 100%!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Honest question here: The canton school district has said they plan to go to school 3 days and do distance learning 2. Who keeps the kids the other 2 days when parents work? Will it be grandparents who are at risk of disease and now have to be around grandkids? Would going to school every other day really stop the spread? Am I missing the logic here?
    Well, you have to remember how affluent Canton is. They probably have super competent public employees in general and of course the vast majority of the students will have one or two parents at home that are capable of and willing to take on the role of home school teacher.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Most of Mississippi cannot "distance learn". Most schools have over 50% of students that have no way to distance learn because they dont have internet at home or a device to do their work on. I had about 75 students this Spring at Quitman in my 3 classes- less than 10 completed their "distance learning" assignments.

Distance learning is not feasible in the state of Mississippi outside of your suburbs. Parents have nobody to watch their kids while they work. They have to have kids go to school. School is the only way about 20% are able to eat regularly. School is happening this Fall.
    You know shit has gotten insanely politicized when Coach34 is the voice of reason and is not trying to stir shit up and create controversy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    You know shit has gotten insanely politicized when Coach34 is the voice of reason and is not trying to stir shit up and create controversy.
    Well said..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    Heck no. I say they should go back to two a day practices in August like I went through. Made me a better man
    I went through Airborne school in August, Back when it was hard, and Ft Benning is a frying pan at that time of the year. Wouldn't have made it if I hadn't been conditioned by 2 a days. Nothing like nice 5 mile runs on a nice hot humid august morning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is what I'm hearing in Jones county. Schools may not open here until September and the first semester will finish at Thanksgiving and spring semester will start in January. This is tenative but looks like what's going to happen here.
    As a teacher that loves to hunt this plan sounds great!!

But since I have an upcoming first grader I want her in school. She needs it. And TBH the students I would have need it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    A virus that has virtually zero chance of killing anyone that is playing football will not determine whether or not we have football. People trying to politicize it will determine that, but it will have zero to do with the safety of anyone playing and 100 % to do with how they can spin this politically. The southeast will play football because the governors of those states will have zero chance of getting reelected if they try to push that horse shit down their citizens' throats. Any coach or at risk person can decide on their own whether or not they need to be in a locker room environment that increases their risk of catching COVID. If they decide not to coach, there will be plenty of people willing to take their job, just like there are plenty of people willing to take jobs at every single company in America right now.
    This post is not going to age well.

People aren't worried about catching it. We're worried about spreading. Taking 1 kid and giving it to 80 is spreading it.

Death doesn't matter. ICU bed space, hospital space, ventilators and PPE matter. If we reach capacity, or threaten capacity, football season will be doomed. This has absolutely ZERO to do with the health effects on football players, but I can't almost guarantee you with 100% certainty that a football player will die this year due to COVID related complications if we play a full season. In fact, it will be multiple players. The pediatric inflammatory related illnesses stemming from COVID that impacts kids is rare, but it's very deadly. Percentage wise, some will get it and die just like in NYC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    As a teacher that loves to hunt this plan sounds great!!

But since I have an upcoming first grader I want her in school. She needs it. And TBH the students I would have need it.
    I agree wholeheartedly. They need to be in school.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    This post is not going to age well.

People aren't worried about catching it. We're worried about spreading. Taking 1 kid and giving it to 80 is spreading it.

Death doesn't matter. ICU bed space, hospital space, ventilators and PPE matter. If we reach capacity, or threaten capacity, football season will be doomed. This has absolutely ZERO to do with the health effects on football players, but I can't almost guarantee you with 100% certainty that a football player will die this year due to COVID related complications if we play a full season. In fact, it will be multiple players. The pediatric inflammatory related illnesses stemming from COVID that impacts kids is rare, but it's very deadly. Percentage wise, some will get it and die just like in NYC.

It will be a near miracle (in a bad way) if any players die from COVID. The only people that anyone should worry about spreading it to is the older / at risk crowd, and the average age of infection has dropped about 20 years. Every single thing going on right now SCREAMS that things are getting much much better but we have some people with some really bad motives spreading some really bad fear mongering garbage. Deaths don’t matter ? For 4 months all anyone heard was how high the death rate was. Now that more testing has occurred and the death rate is plummeting, deaths no longer matter.
    Last edited by Jarius; 07-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.

vCash
    It will be a near miracle (in a bad way) if any players die from COVID. The only people that anyone should worry about spreading it to is the older / at risk crowd, and the average age of infection has dropped about 20 years. Every single thing going on right now SCREAMS that things are getting much much better but we have some people with some really bad motives spreading some really bad fear mongering garbage. Deaths don’t matter ? For 4 months all anyone heard was how high the death rate was. Now that more testing has occurred and the death rate is plummeting, deaths no longer matter.
    Not sure about that. Mississippi has had 7 fatalities between 18 and 29, out of 5,848 confirmed cases. That works out to about .12% cfr. It's probably pretty safe to cut that in half, so let's say .06% ifr for that age group. Say there are roughly 11,050 FBS scholarship athletes, that'd mean you'd expect about 6.63 deaths acorss all 11,050 athletes. Of course, that's 18-29 year olds, not 18-23 year olds, so maybe 18-23 year olds will have an even lower IFR. That's also Mississippi numbers, and we obviously have a lot of poor and obese people among 18-29 year olds and other health conditions, so it may be that the IFR for healthy 18-23 year olds is more like .00006%. But it seems likely that somebody out of those 11,050 players, even though they are athletes, probably have a significant undetected health issue that puts them at risk, and some of them may seriously struggle. Maybe it's just a true freshman that's really not all that athletic or in good shape, but was freaking huge so a bad team with poor recruiting just took a flyer on him. And that 11,050 is just scholarship athletes, so the total number is presumably a good bit higher.

Not saying we shouldn't have football because of that. We should have football; it's still a very low risk. But I wouldn't want people to be shocked when a football player dies. With big numbres, there are going to be people that die of any number of low probability risks. And those numbers are just for FBS. I'm assuming other divisions will be much less likely to play b/c it's not profitable for them to begin with, but if they play, that will be a lot more than 11,050.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Not sure about that. Mississippi has had 7 fatalities between 18 and 29, out of 5,848 confirmed cases. That works out to about .12% cfr. It's probably pretty safe to cut that in half, so let's say .06% ifr for that age group. Say there are roughly 11,050 FBS scholarship athletes, that'd mean you'd expect about 6.63 deaths acorss all 11,050 athletes. Of course, that's 18-29 year olds, not 18-23 year olds, so maybe 18-23 year olds will have an even lower IFR. That's also Mississippi numbers, and we obviously have a lot of poor and obese people among 18-29 year olds and other health conditions, so it may be that the IFR for healthy 18-23 year olds is more like .00006%. But it seems likely that somebody out of those 11,050 players, even though they are athletes, probably have a significant undetected health issue that puts them at risk, and some of them may seriously struggle. Maybe it's just a true freshman that's really not all that athletic or in good shape, but was freaking huge so a bad team with poor recruiting just took a flyer on him. And that 11,050 is just scholarship athletes, so the total number is presumably a good bit higher.

Not saying we shouldn't have football because of that. We should have football; it's still a very low risk. But I wouldn't want people to be shocked when a football player dies. With big numbres, there are going to be people that die of any number of low probability risks. And those numbers are just for FBS. I'm assuming other divisions will be much less likely to play b/c it's not profitable for them to begin with, but if they play, that will be a lot more than 11,050.
    A football player has a bigger chance of dying in a car wreck on the way to practice than dying of COVID. Not having football because of player safety concerns is just completely stupid. There is no other way to spin it. Acceptable risk is a term people need to come to terms with.

vCash
    A football player has a bigger chance of dying in a car wreck on the way to practice than dying of COVID. Not having football because of player safety concerns is just completely stupid. There is no other way to spin it. Acceptable risk is a term people need to come to terms with.
    That's statistically incorrect, but I think you were just throwing out a risk and suggesting they could easily die in other ways too. Which is correct. But COVID is disproportionately impacting African Americans, which also represents a large percentage of football players. It is a player safety issue. It's not the only player safety issue. But it's certainly a player safety issue.

vCash
    That's statistically incorrect, but I think you were just throwing out a risk and suggesting they could easily die in other ways too. Which is correct. But COVID is disproportionately impacting African Americans, which also represents a large percentage of football players. It is a player safety issue. It's not the only player safety issue. But it's certainly a player safety issue.
    If a player feels unsafe then sit it out. Problem solved.

And I can tell you the statistics of high school football players that are African American that I have seen in the hospital on a vent- 0%. And I've got a pretty good sample size.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If a player feels unsafe then sit it out. Problem solved.

And I can tell you the statistics of high school football players that are African American that I have seen in the hospital on a vent- 0%. And I've got a pretty good sample size.
    It's not like they can't catch it from being away from school either.......

vCash
    Prove how that is statistically incorrect. How many college football players have died from covid vs car wrecks?

vCash
    School is happening
    Football should be happening

Trump was proven right about Hydroxy and the media lied to kill people

Everything going on is about the 2020 election. It?s the most important election in this country?s history. If Bill Barr is allowed to finish his job- it will be the end of the Democratic Party. And they know it
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    School is happening
    Football should be happening

Trump was proven right about Hydroxy and the media lied to kill people

Everything going on is about the 2020 election. It?s the most important election in this country?s history. If Bill Barr is allowed to finish his job- it will be the end of the Democratic Party. And they know it
    Yep!