Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach34 and others

vCash

Coach34 and others

Buddy of mine posted that the MHSAA is considering to switch the Spring sports to the Fall and Fall to the Spring. What's your thoughts?

vCash
    Spring football would be after signing day. You would have to wonder if all of the athletes who signed would still play or would they early enroll in college.

Players that play both football and basketball, which sport would they choose and would it water down both. For baseball/football players, would the baseball players choose to prepare for their spring/summer travel ball seasons.

Can you play football in the spring and turn around and play it again in the fall? These are just a few issues. I'm sure there are many more.

vCash
    They discussed it today. Non contact sports in fall and contact sports in the spring. No decision was expected on the issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    They discussed it today. Non contact sports in fall and contact sports in the spring. No decision was expected on the issue.
    If you made me wager today, I would guess football in the fall. Delayed start. Conference games only + playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    If you made me wager today, I would guess football in the fall. Delayed start. Conference games only + playoffs.
    That's probably where it's headed.

vCash
    Don Hinton, Executive Director of the MHSAA is resigning December 31st.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastratdog View Post
    Buddy of mine posted that the MHSAA is considering to switch the Spring sports to the Fall and Fall to the Spring. What's your thoughts?
    A little late there. Sorry BLANTONS is talking.
    Last edited by PKADogs55; 07-01-2020 at 01:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by notsofarawaydawg View Post
    Don Hinton, Executive Director of the MHSAA is resigning December 31st.
    ^^^^Great News!^^^^

vCash
    Hoop made some great points.

If we flip seasons- it will cause all kinds of problemsL

1. No football before signing day. Your top guys wont have a problem- but so many recruits are in the middle. Hurts both them and the colleges needing the evaluation time
    2. Many Senior HS kids get very lazy come Springtime. Programs will lose some role player type kids that know they arent playing after HS. These kids will just choose to get a job after school or find something else to do instead of play.
    3. Kids with major injuries in the Spring wont have the time to be rehab and be ready for the Fall- injuries like ACL tears and such
    4. Wear and tear on players with a full Spring schedule then a full Fall.
    5. Hurts baseball guys that play football.

I say delay things about 2-3 weeks and lets roll. It's so hot in August anyway- its actually good for the kids to delay it. When I was young nobody kicked off their season before the last Friday of August anyway. The death rate from the virus i basically at flu levels now. We know it attacks the elderly and people with other conditions for the most part. I saw a stat that said less than 200 people nationwide had died from the virus age 25 and under. It's time to live life.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I understand your point about the young kids not dying from it, but do these high school kids live on their own?

No, how many live with their grandparents? Big picture, yes, it probably won’t affect them at all, but what happens when they carry that virus home to their parents/guardians?

Don’t get me wrong, I want football more than anybody else, but what happens when just one person does from this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I say delay things about 2-3 weeks and lets roll. It's so hot in August anyway- its actually good for the kids to delay it.
    Heck no. I say they should go back to two a day practices in August like I went through. Made me a better man

vCash

1. No football before signing day. Your top guys wont have a problem- but so many recruits are in the middle. Hurts both them and the colleges needing the evaluation time
    2. Many Senior HS kids get very lazy come Springtime. Programs will lose some role player type kids that know they arent playing after HS. These kids will just choose to get a job after school or find something else to do instead of play.
    3. Kids with major injuries in the Spring wont have the time to be rehab and be ready for the Fall- injuries like ACL tears and such

I say delay things about 2-3 weeks and lets roll. It's so hot in August anyway- its actually good for the kids to delay it. When I was young nobody kicked off their season before the last Friday of August anyway. The death rate from the virus i basically at flu levels now. We know it attacks the elderly and people with other conditions for the most part. I saw a stat that said less than 200 people nationwide had died from the virus age 25 and under. It's time to live life.
    Agreed!

vCash

#2 is what spring sports deal with every year. I’d like to see football deal with that for a change.

Agree on your other points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I understand your point about the young kids not dying from it, but do these high school kids live on their own?

No, how many live with their grandparents? Big picture, yes, it probably won’t affect them at all, but what happens when they carry that virus home to their parents/guardians?

Don’t get me wrong, I want football more than anybody else, but what happens when just one person does from this?
    Then they die, just like they die from car wrecks, cancer, flu, pneumonia, heart attacks, etc.

We cannot stop bad things from happening. Trying to put kids' lives on hold for two or more years is not going to stop bad things from happening. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a vaccine early that will prevent deaths, but for the most part, we'll just be delaying them. And putting kids' lives on hold for two or more years is also a very bad thing, and I think this is one of those things where people are inadvertantly being giant ass holes. Losing a couple of years of high school or college may not be death, but that is a bad thing, and when you aggregate that across the country, that is a terrible result. All the people making the decisions seem to have zero sympathy or empathy for the young people who they are asking to make sacrifices much greater than the ones they are willing to make. Locking down for two years in your 40's or 50's is a world of difference between locking down in your teens or 20's.

vCash
    What’s the difference in them being in classrooms all day and then going home? Riding the bus to school? Going to house parties on the weekends???? Is adding football to the mix really increasing anything?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    What?s the difference in them being in classrooms all day and then going home? Riding the bus to school? Going to house parties on the weekends???? Is adding football to the mix really increasing anything?
    this is COVID ... please check all rational thought at the door
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    August heat is more dangerous to them than COVID, but when they're away from each other they really need to act like they're infected. They likely are spreading it everywhere and we can't max out hospital capacity again. Want to play ball? Wear masks and stop the spread. Don't want to play ball? Don't wear masks. It's almost that simple.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    August heat is more dangerous to them than COVID, but when they're away from each other they really need to act like they're infected. They likely are spreading it everywhere and we can't max out hospital capacity again. Want to play ball? Wear masks and stop the spread. Don't want to play ball? Don't wear masks. It's almost that simple.
    Here's the problem with that, they can wear a mask when they go in a store, but they're not going to wear a mask at a house party, workout, lake trip, etc. Then they bring it back home and give it to a mom or dad, brother or sister and they've spread it probably before they even knew they had it. Your idea is correct in theory, but most teens aren't going to isolate themselves and not go anywhere for the entire summer. It's just a fact. And I for one, wouldn't feel right telling a kid that they have to sit in the house all summer so that MAYBE they could play football in the fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Here's the problem with that, they can wear a mask when they go in a store, but they're not going to wear a mask at a house party, workout, lake trip, etc. Then they bring it back home and give it to a mom or dad, brother or sister and they've spread it probably before they even knew they had it. Your idea is correct in theory, but most teens aren't going to isolate themselves and not go anywhere for the entire summer. It's just a fact. And I for one, wouldn't feel right telling a kid that they have to sit in the house all summer so that MAYBE they could play football in the fall.
    If football players don't socially distance themselves and wear mask, football will be over before it starts. Not trying to suggest a policy here. Just telling you what's got to happen right now to save football, if it's even salvageable at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    If football players don't socially distance themselves and wear mask, football will be over before it starts. Not trying to suggest a policy here. Just telling you what's got to happen right now to save football, if it's even salvageable at this point.
    And that's my main issue with trying to tell people what to do. No one knows what to do. Because as we've seen we have to take this thing week by week and honestly day by day. It could be better in two weeks or we could see there's no way in hell there will be any kind of season. If it was a thing where you could tell people that if you wear a mask for a month then we'll be fine then everyone would do it. But there's no end game to this. It MIGHT be wear a mask for a month and everything will be fine, but it could also be wear a mask for 6 months and we're in just about the same position. I agree that if you wear a mask it'll probably help some, but some isn't enough to get everyone on the same page in regards to masks.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 07-01-2020 at 04:02 PM.