Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 80s greatest decade ?

vCash

80s greatest decade ?

I was born in 1982 so I don't think I qualify to answer since most small kids enjoy that time of life. liked the 90s but I assume most people in their teen years look at those fondly for the most part. I always hear folks that were teens/young adults in the 80s talk about the greatness of that decade so maybe they have that same viewpoint I did of the 90s. Maybe some of you that were late 20s and older in the 80s can answer. Were the 80s the greatest decade ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Clay Hills View Post
    I was born in 1982 so I don't think I qualify to answer since most small kids enjoy that time of life. liked the 90s but I assume most people in their teen years look at those fondly for the most part. I always hear folks that were teens/young adults in the 80s talk about the greatness of that decade so maybe they have that same viewpoint I did of the 90s. Maybe some of you that were late 20s and older in the 80s can answer. Were the 80s the greatest decade ?
    As an MSU fan ... not so much except in baseball.

Overall ... without a doubt IMO. Best pro sports (Joe cool, Magic/Bird), best music (MTV, hair bands, heavy metal), partying was great, cost of living was low, education was affordable, and I can probably think of 2 or 3 other things. Good times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    As an MSU fan ... not so much except in baseball.

Overall ... without a doubt IMO. Best pro sports, best music, partying was great, cost of living was low, education was affordable, and I can probably think of 2 or 3 other things. Good times.
    Best music? Lmao you can’t be serious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Best music? Lmao you can’t be serious.
    I am. I really like me some good lead guitar. There are some other good decades but I'm partial to 80's. 60's & 70's were good. 90's pretty decent. What's your fav decade?

vCash
    This site says 80's best music...

https://www.thetoptens.com/best-decades-music-history/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Once again ... outstanding research there 7.

vCash
    Just to add something ... music nowadays sucks.

vCash
    Mid 70s - mid 80s music was outstanding.

vCash
    Just to add something ... music nowadays sucks.
    I'll second that lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Mid 70s - mid 80s music was outstanding.
    Agree ... mid 70's is when it probably all kinda started and exploded in early to mid 80's before tapering off toward the end. Great MTV videos back then.

Last edited by dawgday166; 06-30-2020 at 10:51 PM.

vCash
    I grew up in the 80's and it was an ok time for music some good, some great and a lot that was bad. Best time of rock n roll in my opinion was from '67 - '82. More influential bands and one hit wonders than any era before or since. Talking pop, disco and harder rock too.
    Last edited by InTheIttaBenaHotSun; 06-30-2020 at 11:05 PM.

vCash
    It's impossible to pick which decade is best for music; especially if you're into different genres.

Best decade for film, though?...that's easy, the '70s and its not close.

vCash
    Agree ... mid 70's is when it probably all kinda started and exploded in early to mid 80's before tapering off toward the end. Great MTV videos back then.

Yep. Nailed it.

vCash
    I think with music I was like most in high school and college that stayed current. I always had some 70s music influence from my dad growing up and actually prefer 70s and 80s music (rock and country, even some pop) these days.

vCash
    The 80's were the most carefree happy decade we've had in a long time. All of the protests and unrest of the 60's were over and the bell bottoms and leisure suits of the 70's had gone out of style. It was a time of big hair, big music, and black trans ams with the eagle on the hood. We were crushing it economically and the Cold War was ending. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.

vCash
    I don't really remember the 70's

I grew up in the 80's and 90's.

The 80's honestly were pretty good. I didn't pay attention to MSU sports at all other than baseball. The Cardinals were good most of the time. Socially and music wise it was pretty fun. Very All-American if you will.

The 90's was just kind of depressing for a little while. I liked the Grunge scene for the 3-5 years of it's height. The late 90's seemed to get better than the early 90's. I was a student at MSU from 1996-2000 and it was honestly the most fun I have ever had in my life. My last football season was 1999. The 1998 baseball season was awesome I don't care what anyone says. Mark McGwire hitting 70 was a nice consolation to not even making the playoffs. So it was good.

The 2000's were kind of a blur that for me blended in with the 2010's. I thought I was maybe going to have to leave UMC to go in the Army after 9/11. And UMC was NOT as much fun as MSU although I got to learn the Fondren District VERY well and I'm pretty sure the people at Quizno's on Old Canton Rd. knew me on a first name basis- every Friday after class. Pretty bad decade for MSU baseball honestly. Especially if you look at SEC only records.

2010's seemed to me like technology really started to pick up and people just got more and more and more sensitive. Social media ESPECIALLY became a big deal. Great decade for MSU and some of my fondest MSU memories are from this decade. 2011 World Series. Enough said.

I don't know- as I get older it just doesn't seem like decades changing is as big a deal as it seemed like at one time. Of course one decade of my life was Y2K. Every decade is going to have its good and bad to be honest with you. I remember the 80's everyone was scared of AIDS. My Mom didn't want me sitting on a toilet seat anywhere other than our house because there was a thought that you could transmit it from sitting on a toilet seat after someone who had AIDS. It seems to me like the media is way worse now than ever before. I think a lot of that is the social media. Before if Peter Jennings or whoever said something you didn't like you just yelled at the TV or if you were really pissed off you wrote a letter to the editor. Now if someone in the media says something you don't like you can go on Twitter and attack them- and then they can attack you right back. And then other people jump in and it's a hot mess. In the 80's there was an issue with music being censored and that was controversial at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Clay Hills View Post
    You are right .. but you dont qualify. Btw born in 79 .. but got to see RATT, Poison, Bon Jovi, Great White, WSP lol, Def leppard, ... all of them. Guess your a .... (Who) fan? Still a STATE fan .. so you get my points. So tired of FLAG posts, or what the 17 ever. Jesus what would our baseball team accomplished this year Todd?
    Last edited by PKADogs55; 07-01-2020 at 01:16 AM.

vCash
    90's = GOAT

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    90's = GOAT
    Conquer

vCash
    2020s really suck so far.....