Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 80s greatest decade ?

vCash
    I'm a 70's guy myself but both my children were born in the early 80's .... I never could keep my 70's CD's because of those music loving rug rats stealing them - and to this day they have a better 70's collection than I do.... and it also includes concerts as well
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    80’s were definitely the best decade

Music was really good plus rap’s beginnings added to it. Then the invention of the music video
    Girls with big hair (I still like that look)
    Ronald Reagan
    The Black Magic baseball bat

I could go on and on
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Hunter S. Thompson coined that period The Generation of Swine.

vCash
    I think most people view "the best" decade as being whatever period they were about age 14 until age 24.

Born in '73, I remember enough of the 70s to think it was cool, love the music, got the shit scarred out of me by JAWS at the drive-in, and got to experience Star Wars as it's prime target audience.
    Most of the '80s was great - other than the clothes and hair. Cocaine and hookers for everyone!!!
    I'm partial to the early 1990s because that encompasses my Senior year of high school and my years at MSU. But, if you look at the music that came out of 1991 - you know that was a peak moment.
    Metallica Black album, Nirvana Nevermind, Pearl Jam Ten, GnR Use Your Illusion, Soundgarden Badmotorfinger, RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magic, REM Out of Time, U2 Achtung Baby, Smashing Pumpkins Gish, A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory, De La Soul's de La Soul is Dead, Ice-T's Original Gangsta, Van Halen's For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (for those that are ok with Van Haggar), Tom Petty's Into the Great Wide Open, Widespread Panic, Cypress Hill, Garth Brooks Ropin the Wind, Live's Mental Jewlery.

Fall of '91 the music kicked ass, our football kicked ass, I was 18 and L-i-v-i-n at MSU
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Absolutely, the 80's was the greatest decade. Starting with beating the Russians at the Lake Placid Olympics. We had so many funny movies and there was a lot of great music. MTV/VH1 actually showed nothing but music videos. The Berlin Wall fell. And jobs were plentiful.

vCash

I Guess it is all relative

I grew up in the 60's-70's. If I could live the 60's for eternity that would be God's heaven for me!

Watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan in Feb 64. Watched Apollo 11 take off for the moon couple of miles outside Cape Canaveral in July 69. Watched the first Super Bowl which wasn't called the Super Bowl yet. too young for the quagmire that was Vietnam. I remember the 60's being a simpler time tho the summer of 68 was bad...riots after King killed, Democrat National Convention in Chicago was a zoo. America had problems sure, but we were a better country,more patriotic, better values overall and things were good. Music was evolving and very memorable. No AIDS, coronavirus,Zika, Al Queda,ISIS, and the dems were only liberals not leftist progressives!

70's had some great music too. Much simpler time.

But it is all relative to when you were growing up.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Best music? Lmao you can?t be serious.
    The 80?s was by FAR the best music. Even my kids in their 20?s say they are jealous of the music we had in the 80?s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    The 80's were the most carefree happy decade we've had in a long time. All of the protests and unrest of the 60's were over and the bell bottoms and leisure suits of the 70's had gone out of style. It was a time of big hair, big music, and black trans ams with the eagle on the hood. We were crushing it economically and the Cold War was ending. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.
    It was the greatest decade of all time.

vCash
    The 80's were the most carefree happy decade we've had in a long time. All of the protests and unrest of the 60's were over and the bell bottoms and leisure suits of the 70's had gone out of style. It was a time of big hair, big music, and black trans ams with the eagle on the hood. We were crushing it economically and the Cold War was ending. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall.
    This sounds like an opening monologue for a movie set in the 80s.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

vCash
    As someone who was born in 88, I do admit I am jealous of the music scene of the 70s and 80s. Those two decades are all I listen to, with some 60s thrown in for good measure. There are some exceptions. Greta Van Fleet sounds like they just stepped out of the 70s, and Crazy Lixx, a band from Sweden, sounds like they just stepped out of the 80s. Over the past few years I've started building up a record collection. I own 60+ albums and all but a handful are original and were pressed before I was born. It's more rewarding to me to find used ones in person than it is to look them up on eBay. Been frequenting Little Big Store over in Raymond a good bit. Last few times I have been there, I've found the Top Gun soundtrack, and an original The Wall. Was so happy to finally add from Pink Floyd to the collection. I have that Dire Straights album as well. Picked it up at T-Bones in H'burg.

All Aboard and Soft Landings!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I'll second that lol
    Your opinion to music is formed when you were coming of age.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    ^^ This is correct. The 80's were a very optimistic time after the negativity of the 60's and 70's, just like the 50's were an optimistic time after the troubles of the 30's and 40's. My hope is we'll come out of this timeframe and the media will realize that folks are tired of relentless negativity and change their tone a bit. With the advent of the internet though, I don't know if that's possible any more.

What I believe is that while there are a lot of people who aren't happy unless they're unhappy, the vast majority of Americans are tired of the constant bickering and arguing over everything in public discourse. I expect that a correction is coming, and we'll have a decade like the 20's, 50's and 80's again pretty soon. At least, that's my hope.

vCash
    From the 60's .... kinda political but with no bias towards either side and a pretty good message .... sorry but I should have posted the one showing the lyrics
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Mid 70s - mid 80s music was outstanding.
    Dead on. The best 10 year period of music IMO was from 75 to 85. I stand by that. You had everything from Fleetwood Mac Rumors to the Eagles Hotel California to the first Boston album to Journey Escape and every other kind of great music during that 10 year window.

vCash
    I can't remember because I drank too much beer and smoked too much weed in the 80's. Honestly though, "YES", the 80's were awesome. MSU baseball was awesome. Cold War was still ongoing and Reagan was President. The country was unified with a common enemy. Music was great and so was SNL. BTW, has SNL been worth a damn since then, uh "no". We socialized thru something other than a phone. We actually hung out with friends at arcades and every town had a loop that kids cruised. I could go on and on but the 80's were awesome. There's a reason it's called "the decade of decadence".
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    I preferred Worth's "Tennessee Thumper" or the Adirondack "Big Stick"...?..Agree on the big hair...?..Undeniably, the pop culture of the 80's far outweighs any other decade......Not even close...?.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    No question music is garbage now. I quit listening to current music shortly after I graduated college in 2005.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Clay Hills View Post
    No question music is garbage now. I quit listening to current music shortly after I graduated college in 2005.
    Hell if I was young person listening to that crap ... I'd be rioting too ***** Bad music will make anyone wanna riot *****

vCash
    Mid 70s - mid 80s music was outstanding.
    This.

Disco sucked. But Van Halen, ZZ Top, Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Stones...all good.

vCash
    Different genres were great at different times. The 80s were great for pop, hard rock, punk, new wave, rap and soul. The 70s were great for progressive rock, country, funk, disco. The 90s was great for metal, grunge, folk rock. The 2000s generally sucked pretty bad and the 2010s offered nothing.