Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 80s greatest decade ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PKADogs55 View Post
    Wow ... where do I start? I agree .. Hair Metal sucked .. but define Hair Metal? Definitely was not GNR. Maybe Europe, DL, RATT, and others. Your take on 70's ... I get some Punk .. but really? Where are the Allman Brothers, Kansas, Aerosmith, Stones, all the bands that made that decade worth while? Btw .. saw Widespread Panic, and TOOL .. (Shows music is not labeled) my last 2 concerts. I do appreciate your opinion though, thank GOD it's not another Covid or ... whatever else topic.
    Btw, I wasn't throwing out the rest of the 70's by only mentioning Punk (lots of great music from that decade; much of my favorite, actually), I was just discussing the trajectory of punk (specifically) there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    This is always a fun debate, lol...they are obviously using hairnet, like the rest of the bands during this decade, which is often used as diagnostic for the genre, but they're not "hair metal", by any comparison with with the likes of Poison, Ratt, Warrant, Whitesnake, etc. (you could make an argument for a Motley Crue comparison, I suppose, but I still disagree). Hell, I'm pretty sure the members of Pantera and Metallica had teased/aquanet hair as well, but not the florescent outfits and makeup (neither did GNR). GNR's lyrics and sound are also way different than the others. They were WAY more raw, and that was the point. I think I remember the old VH1 behind the music episode, where Slash said something like "we represented the trashy/gritty side of the Sunset Strip (where the other hair bands played)".

Appetite for Destruction is amazing. I had to buy that album twice, because I wore out the first one I got. I also like a lot of Use Your Illusion, but A.F.D was a seminal album of my adolescence.
    Here's the Hair Band Test - Were they on Headbanger's Ball? No? Then they were Hair Metal.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Dead on. The best 10 year period of music IMO was from 75 to 85. I stand by that. You had everything from Fleetwood Mac Rumors to the Eagles Hotel California to the first Boston album to Journey Escape and every other kind of great music during that 10 year window.
    I was fortunate enough to see ZZ Top and Skynyrd in Liberty Bowl Stadium in Memphis 1976.
    That same year you also had Frampton Comes Alive. Do You Feel Like I Do

vCash
    GNR was hair metal in the 80's, but had a harder edge, kinda like Motley Crue, but both different. Appetite was, and still is, one of the greatest rock records of all time. GNR was the only hair band I can think of that emerged in the late 80s and survived the end of the big hair era and continued with wide popularity into the 90s with Illusions 1&2.
    Last edited by Bothrops; 07-08-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    80?s were definitely the best decade

Music was really good plus rap?s beginnings added to it. Then the invention of the music video
    Girls with big hair (I still like that look)
    Ronald Reagan
    The Black Magic baseball bat

I could go on and on
    You forgot 80's butt and bra and panty tan lines.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HereComesTheSpiral View Post
    You forgot 80's butt and bra and panty tan lines.
    You a bush man?***

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    You a bush man?***
    Been known to dabble

vCash
    Speaking of the 70s, the Eagles concert that ESPN has been showing from 2018 at the Forum has been (to borrow a word from Ben Howland) PHENOMENAL.

With Vince Gill and the son of the late Glen Frey, Deacon Frey, singing his dad's vocals and acoustic guitar.

And they let Don Henley and Joe Walsh perform their solo stuff too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Was pretty bad car decade. Ford's sucked until late in decade with Mustang GT. But even then ... not a good car decade.
    For the most part you are correct on the cars as overall they were ugly but I throw out a few positives. You had the Delorian, Fiero, Nissan 280 and 300ZX, the Monte Carlo SS and a few others, . You had the street rods and lots of old trucks decked out. You had the jacked up 4 wheel drives and truck pulls were big. You also had the explosion of the high fi car stereo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    For the most part you are correct on the cars as overall they were ugly but I throw out a few positives. You had the Delorian, Fiero, Nissan 280 and 300ZX, the Monte Carlo SS and a few others, . You had the street rods and lots of old trucks decked out. You had the jacked up 4 wheel drives and truck pulls were big. You also had the explosion of the high fi car stereo.
    when I was at State and dating my future wife, she had a gold Fiero with the V6. That little thing was fun to drive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Speaking of the 70s, the Eagles concert that ESPN has been showing from 2018 at the Forum has been (to borrow a word from Ben Howland) PHENOMENAL.

With Vince Gill and the son of the late Glen Frey, Deacon Frey, singing his dad's vocals and acoustic guitar.

And they let Don Henley and Joe Walsh perform their solo stuff too.
    Got to see them live during that tour when they were in B'ham. 2 hours of great music. Very next day, I continued on to Atlanta to see Bon Jovi. Two days of fantastic shows. I'll have to catch the ESPN broadcast.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!