Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 80s greatest decade ?

vCash
    I loved the 80's, and always felt lucky that I was clubbing age during that time. The 70s had to be the best music, but the New Wave period was such a breath of fresh air and so different from anything I had ever seen. I mean, rockers with short hair was rad! I wouldn't give those days back for anything.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    If you put it on any top 20 now .. I have no 17'n clue! I went and saw Panic .. and Tool last year .. totally different bands, but at least they play instruments, and they write their own stuff.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Partial to the 70's myself. Graduated high school in '75. State '75-'79. Absolutely hated disco and still do. In the '70's you actually had top acts come to your campus to perform. My memory has become hazy, but I remember Billy Joel at the Hump. Kansas maybe. Jackson Browne. Saw Elton and James Taylor at OM. Old timers, who else came to the Hump? Spent the 4th of July '76 in Memphis Liberty Bowl watching ZZ Top and the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, Blue Oyster Cult, The Outlaws. Kept the ticket stub up until my latest move. A whopping $12. Several good concerts in Jackson during that time as well. Always enjoyed the MSU-OM doubleheader's in Jackson. OM-LSU around 1:00, then MSU-Bama at 7:00. Got to the stadium about 10 am and started drinking. Watch the first game, then hit the tailgate (in the parking lot) and then back in for nightcap. Wake up Sunday morning begging God to make your head stop hurting and making promises to him that you knew you couldn't keep. Good times.

vCash
    Yeah, I miss those concerts at the hump......I saw 38 special, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Great White, Cinderella, Night Ranger, Hank, Jr among others there in the 80's.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    Yeah, I miss those concerts at the hump......I saw 38 special, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Great White, Cinderella, Night Ranger, Hank, Jr among others there in the 80's.......
    Yea .. I saw all those except Hank Jr. Also so Kool and the Gang.

vCash
    Didn't see Kool and the Gang but I did see Huey Lewis and the News there.......I think 38 special warmed up for them.......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Huey Lewis and the News
    Love Huey Lewis and the News.

vCash
    Me too. The acoustics were so great in that building. Left MSU in '79 and came to Dallas, and the arenas here were just echo chambers. I was so spoiled.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Love Huey Lewis and the News.

Saw Huey in Memphis, my favorite in the 80s. You had to watch BTF close to catch his cameo appearance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    I loved the 80's, and always felt lucky that I was clubbing age during that time. The 70s had to be the best music, but the New Wave period was such a breath of fresh air and so different from anything I had ever seen. I mean, rockers with short hair was rad! I wouldn't give those days back for anything.
    80s is the best decade ever overall. Every decade had their moments but 80s had it all. Peaceful, good economy, politics, sports, music and moves. From Ronald Reagan, ESPN, MTV, Bird, Magic, Michael Jackson to Michael Jordan. 80s was a great decade to grown up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    80?s were definitely the best decade

Music was really good plus rap?s beginnings added to it. Then the invention of the music video
    Girls with big hair (I still like that look)
    Ronald Reagan
    The Black Magic baseball bat

I could go on and on
    Worst decade ever for automobiles though. Otherwise, I agree.

vCash
    I'm a Huey Lewis and the News fan also...Duran Duran was under rated.

The power ballad
    Hair metal
    Rap's beginnings with NWA and 2 Live Crew
    Clubbing and club music along with ecstacy- which helped improve sex lives (So I heard)
    College football moving to cable TV
    Harry Caray becoming a Cubs announcer and making me a fan for life
    Magic, Bird, Jordan...Showtime, Bad Boys of the NBA
    Joe Montana, LT, 85 Bears

80's was the best
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Was pretty bad car decade. Ford's sucked until late in decade with Mustang GT. But even then ... not a good car decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Word.

vCash
    I'm a Huey Lewis and the News fan also...Duran Duran was under rated.

The power ballad
    Hair metal
    Rap's beginnings with NWA and 2 Live Crew
    Clubbing and club music along with ecstacy- which helped improve sex lives (So I heard)
    College football moving to cable TV
    Harry Caray becoming a Cubs announcer and making me a fan for life
    Magic, Bird, Jordan...Showtime, Bad Boys of the NBA
    Joe Montana, LT, 85 Bears

80's was the best
    You left off Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, and LL in your Rap listing, but they're in good company with who you mentioned.

Hair Metal blows, though. I loathe it. The worst of that genre I find equivalent to the boy bands of the 90's/00's....just horrid commercial garbage. Definitely the best decade for good metal, though. And btw, I know some do, but I don't consider GNR or VH as "hair metal".

And starting in the late 70's, through the heyday of the 80's, into the early 90's, Punk was absolutely fantastic. Just from the 80's, for example: Misfits, Descendants, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Clash, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, Fear, Black Flag, etc. etc.....I mean, holy hell.....then we get to the 00's, and the bed shitting commences.

vCash
    You left off Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, and LL in your Rap listing, but they're in good company with who you mentioned.

Hair Metal blows, though. I loathe it. The worst of that genre I find equivalent to the boy bands of the 90's/00's....just horrid commercial garbage. Definitely the best decade for good metal, though. And btw, I know some do, but I don't consider GNR or VH as "hair metal".

And starting in the late 70's, through the heyday of the 80's, into the early 90's, Punk was absolutely fantastic. Just from the 80's, for example: Misfits, Descendants, Buzzcocks, Ramones, Clash, The Damned, Dead Kennedys, Patti Smith, Iggy Pop, Fear, Black Flag, etc. etc.....I mean, holy hell.....then we get to the 00's, and the bed shitting commences.
    Wow ... where do I start? I agree .. Hair Metal sucked .. but define Hair Metal? Definitely was not GNR. Maybe Europe, DL, RATT, and others. Your take on 70's ... I get some Punk .. but really? Where are the Allman Brothers, Kansas, Aerosmith, Stones, all the bands that made that decade worth while? Btw .. saw Widespread Panic, and TOOL .. (Shows music is not labeled) my last 2 concerts. I do appreciate your opinion though, thank GOD it's not another Covid or ... whatever else topic.
    Last edited by PKADogs55; 07-07-2020 at 11:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Was pretty bad car decade. Ford's sucked until late in decade with Mustang GT. But even then ... not a good car decade.
    4500 pound Buicks and Cadillacs with choked out V8s making 170hp. Dodge 600's, Ford Tempo.....arf..

vCash

I agree about adding the Rap names you included. The 80's were a damn great time for new music

Sorry- but GNR is hair metal. Yet they created probably the best album of the 80's.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I agree about adding the Rap names you included. The 80's were a damn great time for new music

Sorry- but GNR is hair metal. Yet they created probably the best album of the 80's.
    Coach .. not one to question you .. but wasnt GNR the one who broke that mold, before the Seattle invasion? This coming from a guy whose first concert was Kixx, Great White, and RATT in Jackson 1986 lol (How did my father ever sit through that with me).
    Last edited by PKADogs55; 07-07-2020 at 11:32 PM.

vCash

This is always a fun debate, lol...they are obviously using hairnet, like the rest of the bands during this decade, which is often used as diagnostic for the genre, but they're not "hair metal", by any comparison with with the likes of Poison, Ratt, Warrant, Whitesnake, etc. (you could make an argument for a Motley Crue comparison, I suppose, but I still disagree). Hell, I'm pretty sure the members of Pantera and Metallica had teased/aquanet hair as well, but not the florescent outfits and makeup (neither did GNR). GNR's lyrics and sound are also way different than the others. They were WAY more raw, and that was the point. I think I remember the old VH1 behind the music episode, where Slash said something like "we represented the trashy/gritty side of the Sunset Strip (where the other hair bands played)".

Appetite for Destruction is amazing. I had to buy that album twice, because I wore out the first one I got. I also like a lot of Use Your Illusion, but A.F.D was a seminal album of my adolescence.