Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arizona stops athletes returning to campus

vCash

Arizona stops athletes returning to campus

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...?ocid=msedgdhp

To me, it is looking increasingly likely that there will be no college football this fall.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    How about we all continue to meet in groups of 5 or more and not wearing mask out in public. We also should keep going to bars. That will help.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...?ocid=msedgdhp

To me, it is looking increasingly likely that there will be no college football this fall.
    I believe that unless the federal government prohibits it, which they won't, there will be football. There is simply too much money at stake and the colleges cannot afford to lose that money they way they blow through it like sailors on leave or congress.

vCash
    It will be left to the individual conferences to decide.

The SEC is having football. Even if it's just playing the conference schedule w/ no OOC games. Fans may be optional but I doubt it.

vCash
    one positive out of 83 is a little over-reacting I think
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    The governor of arizona is putting an order in place today that will be in effect for 30 days shutting down bars, gyms, theatres, water parks,etc.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 06-30-2020 at 10:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    one positive out of 83 is a little over-reacting I think
    Their state is in the middle of a big spike.

Archimedes
    vCash
    I wouldn?t jump to quick saying we are for sure going to have college football.

How much liability would the university have if a athlete comes down with it and the resulting damage ends his football career?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post

How much liability would the university have if a athlete comes down with it and the resulting damage ends his football career?
    The same if said was injured or developed a condition that ended his or her career. In other words zero

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    The same if said was injured or developed a condition that ended his or her career. In other words zero
    Exactly. The majority of that is waived when they sign up to play sports. I believe it's set up to where the ahtletic program will help with surgery, hospitatlization, and rehab but it is incumbent upon the athlete to purchase or aquire insurance for longterm disablity resultant of sports related activity.

ETA: this brings up an interesting thought though. Once students athletes start receiving weekly or monthly stipends from the unviversity they would become university employees, right? Could they purchase insurance and/or retirement through the university?
    Last edited by Dawgology; 06-30-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Exactly. The majority of that is waived when they sign up to play sports. I believe it's set up to where the ahtletic program will help with surgery, hospitatlization, and rehab but it is incumbent upon the athlete to purchase or aquire insurance for longterm disablity resultant of sports related activity.

ETA: this brings up an interesting thought though. Once students athletes start receiving weekly or monthly stipends from the unviversity they would become university employees, right? Could they purchase insurance and/or retirement through the university?
    The universities normally buy those type policies and it?s typically for physical injuries and would exclude disease/viruses.

vCash

I think we definitely have NFL. Those are grown Men who have shown over and over again they are willing to risk whatever to play.

College athletes are still at the mercy of school-level decisions. There could be some legal issues if students can't return to campus to get an education, yet football players are still allowed to play.

I honestly don't think we have college football. You've already seen a ton of colleges announce they are returning to online learning after Thanksgiving. Why do you think that is? That coincides with the end of the regular season of college football. They all know college football is the cash cow AND they are already putting in measures to limit COVID exposure after the season gets done.

The colleges all know they shouldn't. But the NCAA has to demonstrate its got the balls to shut it down. I think ultimately they get pressured into having to cancel the season.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash

This is what is so frustrating about all of this. There is an acceptable risk that has to be considered. If we were able to be sued for everything that could end a college player's career, we would not have sports. Just because the media is making this a huge deal for college athletes to get this doesn't mean that's actually the case. It is not dangerous at all for college athletes, so long as they stay away from old at risk people. Having people under 60 live in a bubble over this is insanity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    This is what is so frustrating about all of this. There is an acceptable risk that has to be considered. If we were able to be sued for everything that could end a college player's career, we would not have sports. Just because the media is making this a huge deal for college athletes to get this doesn't mean that's actually the case. It is not dangerous at all for college athletes, so long as they stay away from old at risk people. Having people under 60 live in a bubble over this is insanity.
    Yep. Cases are spiking right now in some places but deaths are declining nationwide, because the young are being infected now but the death rate among the young and healthy is extremely low

vCash
    Their state is in the middle of a big spike.
    So are MS, LA, and FL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yep. Cases are spiking right now in some places but deaths are declining nationwide, because the young are being infected now but the death rate among the young and healthy is extremely low
    Glad we only have to worry about the death rate. Now here a few tidbits I've picked up in the last week or so: Even the asymptomatic can have varying degrees of lung damage. Those are symptomatic almost always have some and they have more. it can be quite severe. That includes young people. Nobody knows if it is permanent yet. There are some indications beginning to show up that the virus can cross the blood/brain barrier. That is what helps shield your CNS from infections in your body. If it can, there is a potential for it to be a chronic condition that can return. You would test negative for years, then it would remerge potentially years later. Again nobody knows yet. There are also strong indications that immunity from having it doesn't last long. AGAIN, we don't know yet. We need a vaccine and even better a treatment. Until we know more we need to still live, but we need to be limiting the spread as much as we possibly can. WEAR A MASK and keep your distance.

vCash
    We are in the biggest of all if you look at % of new cases recorded over the last week or so.

vCash
    We are in the biggest of all if you look at % of new cases recorded over the last week or so.
    Little misleading though. We didn't report June 20-21. We reported June 20-22 all on June 22, which is a week ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I would look more at hospitalization rates honestly. Death rate is important, but COVID is financially wrecking the healthcare system, which affects the economy as a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    I would look more at hospitalization rates honestly. Death rate is important, but COVID is financially wrecking the healthcare system, which affects the economy as a whole.
    Yep, the number of cases isn't really a good tool to measure anything since so many who have it or had it had mild symptoms if any at all.