Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now that the flag has been removed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    I'm just hoping that part gets amended out later. Seems unconstitutional. And yea, this was made before that was a requirement.

It won't be changed unless they are legally forced to do so. Our country was founded on that principal. It's sad now how far our country has strayed away from that. It's more like now, if I don't like something I'll just tear it down, destroy it, or get it changed because I want what I want mentality. Our flag needed to be changed, but this wanting to take monuments down, destroy them, etc. is being fueled by radical idiots.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 06-29-2020 at 10:34 AM.

vCash
    I don't think pointing out the Georgia flag is such a good idea since it should be next on the chopping block.

And I'm more speaking to the aesthetics. But it just doesn't seem constitutional to "require" it. Now if the best flag has it then so be it.
    I'm not trying to argue, was just pointing out the facts for you and anyone that saw those designs and didn't know that they wouldn't qualify.

Your point about the Georgia flag is a red herring though. Their flag is under some scrutiny because of its resemblance to the stars and bars flag, not because of "In God We Trust" potentially being unconstitutional, which was the only point I was making.

vCash

Best idea i've seen.

Personally like the wavy river and stars myself, but I can see where that is not a consensus. Feel like the straight river and stars would be widely loved by everyone.

Put a wavy line on the left for the Mississippi River and a straight line on the right for the Tombigbee Waterway ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    It won't be changed unless they are legally forced to do so. Our country was founded on that principal. It's sad now how far our country has strayed away from that. It's more like now, if I don't like something I'll just tear it down, destroy it, or get it changed because I want what I want mentality. Our flag needed to be changed, but this wanting to take monuments down, destroy them, etc. is being fueled by radical idiots.
    Bravo, sir!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    What principal?

Freedom of religion?

Separation of Church and State?

vCash

Best idea i've seen.

Personally like the wavy river and stars myself, but I can see where that is not a consensus. Feel like the straight river and stars would be widely loved by everyone.
    Where did you fidn this? I really like the wavy lines with stars. That looks really, really good. I like it more than the Stennis flag.

vCash
    Hell.....just put "in God we trust" on the flag in Latin. No one today will know what it says.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash

Love these designs

Best designs I have seen so far. I like the wavy lines and no stars personally. It also looks unique but not overly complicated.

My question tho, why the red?
    After traveling some across the country one thing I appreciate about MS is the fact that our landscape is so lush and green. A lot of ?nicer? states can?t claim this. What if we swapped the red out with green?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Where did you fidn this? I really like the wavy lines with stars. That looks really, really good. I like it more than the Stennis flag.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/vexillology...esign_what_it/

It's r/vexillology's wet dream right now. They are all about the designing of the flag.

@ Heydawg As for why the red, they outlined that, but I could definitely see green working. Throw in a yellow center of the magnolia and I think we have a winner. I'd really hate for hat to design to get messed up by adding words. It doesn't need it. Any words on this particular design ruin what would instantly become a top 5 flag in the union imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Hell.....just put "in God we trust" on the flag in Latin. No one today will know what it says.
    I like that idea

vCash
    What principal?

Freedom of religion?

In God we Trust is the National Motto, passed by the US Congress, and is required by law to be displayed in every classroom atleast in MS.

Separation of church and state has more to do with the government can?t force you to be a certain type of religion, ie. All Mississippians have to be southern baptist. Original intent was In reference to the Church of England but you get the picture.

God doesn?t necessarily mean the Christian God. God can be an omnipresent spirit of your choosing, including the absence of a God.

vCash
    What principal?

Freedom of religion?

Well those are way to broad to dissect on here, even the courts have struggled to consistently determine the wall of separation but two points with this topic. First, is that the Supreme Court has ruled previously that In God We Trust is also a national motto with historic implications all the way back to before our constitution. To use Jefferson’s writings, as they did in the 1800’s other cases for over a century, you have to also acknowledge his writings gave states a much broader choice of expression of religion. Not establishing a religion as a bulk of what that amendment derived from was the state law he wrote and Madison also wrote a piece against the law to block other Virginia law makers from establishing a tax to fund a state church. That was the strong foundation of the establishment clause. So while Jefferson wrote about separation of church and state (it’s technically not in the constitution with that verbiage) and where a lot of this was used in court opinions, you have to understand he believed that there were differences in the federal separation and broader freedom to be given to states, so long as neither the state or federal government established a set religion.

Secondly, we are talking about putting the national Motto on the flag not making a law that could be argued it’s against the constitution. That’s a pretty big difference and where states have had trouble in federal courts. In God We Trust has fared much better all the way through the Supreme Court, including the 1984 Lynch vs Donnelly

vCash
    Would like to see inclusion in the new flag a symbol to represent the first citizens of the state. The Native American, who lived here long before all of us. Just a thought.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodawg View Post
    Would like to see inclusion in the new flag a symbol to represent the first citizens of the state. The Native American, who lived here long before all of us. Just a thought.
    That is a really really really good idea. I really like that.

"Present in virtually every Native American tribe, the feather symbol is universally recognized as a representation of trust, strength, wisdom, freedom, and honor. Incorporated into many sacred pieces of Native American wear, the feather is easily one of the most respected symbols"

The idea would be to get permission from the Mississippi native american tribes but I think the inclusion of a feather to represent the above or a symbol of unity would be huge.

vCash

My $0.02

-I like the top left design. Very well done.
    -I hate the wavy river design or any wavy design. Just looks like crap.
    -I like the magnolia symbol in lieu of a cartoon/drawing. Cool logo that we could use on hats, TShirts, etc. Put a patch on our athletic uniforms.
    -move the stars closer together toward the top and add In God We Trust in an arc to complete the bottom of the circle.
    -I love adding In God We Trust. Its steeped in tradition and represents the fundamental values of the VAST majority of our state. Like it or not, we are in the Bible Belt and that?s part of our flavor and tradition. Minorities are overwhelmingly religious, so represents them well with our having the highest minority percentage in the union.
    -as far as Native American symbolism, not sure I?m a fan of a feather. The State name, river, and a lot of towns and counties have native Americans names, so not really leaving them out. Maybe add another larger (or different color) star in the top center of the circle of stars to represent the tribal nations in the state? Maybe one for each nation (I don?t know how many there are, 3?)

vCash
    Tate hasn?t signed anything yet.

vCash
    What's unconstitutional about the phase "In God We Trust"? The first amendment states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion". No law is being written by using the words on the flag. This subject has been reviewed on the federal level many times from Aronow vs United States to as recently as last year's Supreme Court case.

The court in the Aronow case stated in its opinion:

"It is quite obvious that the national motto and the slogan on coinage and currency 'In God We Trust' has nothing whatsoever to do with the establishment of religion. Its use is of patriotic or ceremonial character and bears no true resemblance to a governmental sponsorship of a religious exercise. While 'ceremonial' and 'patriotic' may not be particularly apt words to describe the category of the national motto, it is excluded from First Amendment significance because the motto has no theological or ritualistic impact. As stated by the Congressional report, it has 'spiritual and psychological value' and 'inspirational quality."

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I think Rebels is something that they could get away with dropping but The name Ole Miss is not going away without losing a ton of support and money from people that matter. That’s a line that they will never be able to cross.