Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: KSU football team refusing to practice or play

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    No, you just don't understand how free speech actually works.

The first amendment protects you from government retaliation.

The first amendment does not force everyone else to cowtow to what you say and how you say it.

The first amendment does not protect you from others expressing their criticism.

The first amendment allows Kansas State to say they do not want to be represented or associated with something.

It would be a violation of first amendment rights if they FORCED Kansas State to keep this person.

You can't view free speech as this free reign for one person to be an utter ****. Everyone has free speech. You can't impede on others free speech (in this case someone disassociating with someone over difference of opinion) just because someone else has free speech. That would be denying someone else's free speech rights. Your rights end where someone else's begins.
    Yes. Kind of like NFL teams were well within their rights to not want Kap representing them. When you are full of ignorance and say stupid things for the world to see, you have consequences. Just not legal ones.
    Last edited by Jarius; 06-28-2020 at 04:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDawg94 View Post
    I?d be willing to bet that there?s a few players threatening to boycott that have songs on their playlist that glorify killing police, pimping out ho?s, slapping bitches and killing other human beings because they don?t wear the same color Nike shoes.
    I?m offended by that but I don?t drop in the Walmart parking lot and cry like a baby every time I hear it.
    People need to man the F up!!!
    Would be willing to bet so too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I see getting fired because you can be deemed representing your company.
    This is another trend that needs to go if we are to have a free and open society. Corporations have entirely too much power and worker's rights have been cut to the bone in America.

vCash
    Do they have any players we want?

vCash
    What the guy said is very distasteful and insensitive but I fail to see what is inherently racist about it. On the other hand here are tweets from a Cambridge professor that definitely are racist but instead of being punished she was rewarded with a full professorship. There is a double standard here and there's no doubt about it.

Last edited by Matt3467; 06-28-2020 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    What the guy said is very distasteful and insensitive but I fail to see what is inherently racist about it. On the other hand here are tweets from a Cambridge professor that definitely are racist but instead of being punished she was rewarded with a full professorship. There is a double standard here and there's no doubt about it.

Your point is valid, but I'm not sure why people are using an example from a completely different country to defend rights in the USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    Your point is valid, but I'm not sure why people are using an example from a completely different country to defend rights in the USA.
    Few years back, but this one jogged the memory...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...g-white-people

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Not really. Schools expel people all the time for saying/doing reprehensible things.
    And you are OK with that?

vCash
    No, you just don't understand how free speech actually works.

The first amendment protects you from government retaliation.

The first amendment does not force everyone else to cowtow to what you say and how you say it.

The first amendment does not protect you from others expressing their criticism.

The first amendment allows Kansas State to say they do not want to be represented or associated with something.

It would be a violation of first amendment rights if they FORCED Kansas State to keep this person.

You can't view free speech as this free reign for one person to be an utter ****. Everyone has free speech. You can't impede on others free speech (in this case someone disassociating with someone over difference of opinion) just because someone else has free speech. That would be denying someone else's free speech rights. Your rights end where someone else's begins.
    That is psychotic....really sick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Is it really?

I'm pretty sure you can't say whatever you want and be free from repercussions. He is not going to jail for his statements, but my guess is that KSU has a policy that gives them a great deal of leeway to expel students based on their conduct. They could argue that he was attempting to incite a riot or protest. I'm not sure I would agree, but that is what I would argue if I was KSU and they were kicking him out of school.

They don't have to expel him, but the football team doesn't have to play or practice either - I mean, freedom of expression and all. So if KSU wants to keep the kid in school, that seems perfectly fine. Its also perfectly fine for the football players to decide to not play.

Everyone can make their own decision. I genuinely don't see the problem.
    I would think that if the KSU players refuse to practice/play and then their scholarships are revoked then they probably would be a little more tolerant of the tweeting of others.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgoneyall View Post
    That is psychotic....really sick.
    Is it? As someone else stated... it's exactly what happened to Kaepernick. Was it sick then?

Banned
    vCash
    I would think that if the KSU players refuse to practice/play and then their scholarships are revoked then they probably would be a little more tolerant of the tweeting of others.
    hahahahahhaahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahah ahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahha

The cashcow that is college football, having a whole team in the P5 refusing, and you think that they are going to go that route. Revoke their scholarships???

hhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhaha hahahhahahahahah

What fairytale land do you live in?

Do you not understand how poorly that would come across?

Amazing you're battling for tolerance of disgusting tweets. Great priority to have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Do they have any players we want?
    Are you for free speech or not???

Or do you have liberal qualifications/exceptions?
    Last edited by dawgoneyall; 06-28-2020 at 09:42 PM.

vCash
    Is it? As someone else stated... it's exactly what happened to Kaepernick. Was it sick then?
    This is not at all what happened to Kaepernick.

vCash
    Are you for free speech or not???

Or do you have liberal qualifications/exceptions?
    For free speech. I don't know why you would expect me to answer otherwise.

If any good Kansas State players want to exercise their free speech and no longer associate with their university for any reason, perhaps we can find a home for them in Starkville.

vCash
    It's a lot easier to get back in the NFL if you don't demand 20 million dollars after not playing since 2016. Just saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    This is not at all what happened to Kaepernick.
    Exactly. If he could still play to nfl caliber standards he'd be on a team. He just messed up and started this after he couldn't hit water from a boat. No talent and being a PR pain in the ass is never a good combination.

Banned
    vCash
    Yea... that's why the NFL settled out of court with him.

It's like y'all are being willfully ignorant.

vCash
    Yea... that's why the NFL settled out of court with him.

It's like y'all are being willfully ignorant.
    Come on, suits are settled out of court every day even when the defendant has a great case and honestly believe they were well within their legal rights. And their settlement was much less than what they were suing for. It covered Kap and Reed’s lawyer fees and they got a some money of equal amount but no where close to the $10 MIL they wanted. If they had just a good case against the NFL, why settle for that? Think your overplaying what that lawsuit settlement meant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Few years back, but this one jogged the memory...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...g-white-people
    He certainly should have lost his job over that if his employer chose to fire him. Won't argue that and it should be equally done, although equality is probably always going to be unrealistic.