Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Flag Design

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash

New Flag Design

Not that it matters that much, but I think we need one that is identifiable as Mississippi?s. Im not a fan of the seal being on the flag because you can?t tell whose it is at first glance. Tennessee, Texas, California, Colorado, and South Carolina have distinctive flags that I can identify at first glance. What you guys think?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Not that it matters that much, but I think we need one that is identifiable as Mississippi?s. Im not a fan of the seal being on the flag because you can?t tell whose it is at first glance. Tennessee, Texas, California, Colorado, and South Carolina have distinctive flags that I can identify at first glance. What you guys think?
    Agree. Something unique to the positive qualities of the state are what's needed.

What a great day!
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    It would be great to have something simple and iconic. A good rule of thumb is if a child can't draw it from memory, it's a bad flag. Other important rules of flag design are no more than 3 colors and 3 words.

We're likely to break all of those rules, but if that's what it takes to get the flag changed, so be it. Most states have badly designed flags, and we can too.

vCash
    How about a big cotton ball in the center?**

vCash
    Maroon, gold, powder blue striped field with a magnolia on it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    We don't need anybody with your name having any input in the Mississippi flag.

vCash
    How about a flag showing Colin Kaepernick and Megan Rapinoe kneeling?

Or like another poster said just auction the flag off every two years to the corporation with the highest bid. I mean that's all anyone cares about now anyways is tax cuts and GDP.... history, culture, and religion are silly notions of a bygone era.

vCash
    Blue banner at the bottom and far right of the flag to represent the river and the gulf. Y'all can do what you want with the rest of it. Unless it's racist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post

Or like another poster said just auction the flag off every two years to the corporation with the highest bid. I mean that's all anyone cares about now anyways is tax cuts and GDP.... history, culture, and religion are silly notions of a bygone era.
    Angry about the flag?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Maroon, gold, powder blue striped field with a magnolia on it
    Maroon and powder blue look good together. Not sure about mustard bird gold

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Angry about the flag?
    No just the process. I think it should have been a referendum. I think that would have been a better resolution to settle things and honestly it would have passed. But now it seems that it's just giving in to the rioting and looting nationwide, you're about to see more of the 1894 flag flying than you ever did, and a large number of people that wanted to keep it will feel aggrieved which will lower community trust, relations, etc....

Banned
    vCash
    No just the process. I think it should have been a referendum. I think that would have been a better resolution to settle things and honestly it would have passed. But now it seems that it's just giving in to the rioting and looting nationwide, you're about to see more of the 1894 flag flying than you ever did, and a large number of people that wanted to keep it will feel aggrieved which will lower community trust, relations, etc....
    So then what should our representatives vote on to represent us? I get your argument that we shouldn't take the power from the people but that's a slippery slope to where it seems like we shouldn't let them vote on anything. So what's the point of their jobs?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    So then what should our representatives vote on to represent us?
    Laws......

Banned
    vCash
    Laws......
    Laws??

That's a slippery slope. You could make a law for anything! He'll you could make a law about what flag can be flown for the state and what can't!

vCash

How bout instead, you just **** right the hell off? Wouldn't that be easier for all involved?

vCash
    That would be awesome! Anything to make racists easier to identify only benefits the general public!

vCash
    Just have the McCarty pottery symbol coming off the edge and call it a day

vCash
    I grew up in Brandon and went to State, but moved to Atlanta after college. I've watched this whole flag thing before, 20 years ago.

Georgia had a big battle emblem -- bigger than MS -- and eventually it got removed by democrat governor Roy Barnes who replaced it with what looked like a bad PowerPoint slide that threw up. Everyone hated it. Sonny Perdue, the first Republican governor of Georgia since Reconstruction, ran on changing it and promised a referendum. When the referendum came, the old flag wasn't part of the selections. The referendum was on the Barnes PowerPoint disaster and the Perdue stars-and-bars flag that he got passed. (It is actually based on the official Confederate national flag, which is the biggest irony of all.)

There was a period of a few years where the old flag was flown rather widely among the "resistance." They still hate Perdue for depriving them of that battle emblem. You can find specialty license plates and you'll still see that flag flown at the odd house in the country that also has a flagpole devoted to the battle flag itself -- the whole giant Ole-Miss-like full rectangle. But outside of the random racist and/or old south devotee who has embraced that identity, though, the only place you really see it now is over a Confederate cemetery or engraved on a monument at some battleground historical marker.

I expect there will be a resistance element in MS that more deeply embraces the 1894 flag as a result, but that will fade over time. It's not even as prevalent at OM as it used to be.

vCash
    Of the designs I have seen, I prefer the one with the magnolia blossom rather than the Stennis flag. However, I would prefer a dark green background to the blue. When I think of Mississippi I think of green fields and forests.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    I grew up in Brandon and went to State, but moved to Atlanta after college. I've watched this whole flag thing before, 20 years ago.

Georgia had a big battle emblem -- bigger than MS -- and eventually it got removed by democrat governor Roy Barnes who replaced it with what looked like a bad PowerPoint slide that threw up. Everyone hated it. Sonny Perdue, the first Republican governor of Georgia since Reconstruction, ran on changing it and promised a referendum. When the referendum came, the old flag wasn't part of the selections. The referendum was on the Barnes PowerPoint disaster and the Perdue stars-and-bars flag that he got passed. (It is actually based on the official Confederate national flag, which is the biggest irony of all.)

There was a period of a few years where the old flag was flown rather widely among the "resistance." They still hate Perdue for depriving them of that battle emblem. You can find specialty license plates and you'll still see that flag flown at the odd house in the country that also has a flagpole devoted to the battle flag itself -- the whole giant Ole-Miss-like full rectangle. But outside of the random racist and/or old south devotee who has embraced that identity, though, the only place you really see it now is over a Confederate cemetery or engraved on a monument at some battleground historical marker.

I expect there will be a resistance element in MS that more deeply embraces the 1894 flag as a result, but that will fade over time. It's not even as prevalent at OM as it used to be.
    There are some pockets in Georgia that are mind boggling racist/stuck in the 1800s more than anything I've seen in Mississippi.