Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Flag Vote - IT PASSED!!!!!!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    So if Tate changes his mind (or has it changed for him) and vetoes it there would still be a need for the 2/3 votes to override the veto right?
    I just hate having to rely on the word of a politician. I'm ready for it to be completely over.
    No. Only majority for override.

The only hang up is if the court determines this is legal to do (which I fear they will rule it isn't, but again I'm not the most well versed in law, only took a few undergrad courses and didn't pursue law school.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post

The only hang up is if the court determines this is legal to do (which I fear they will rule it isn't, but again I'm not the most well versed in law, only took a few undergrad courses and didn't pursue law school.)
    Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    So if Tate changes his mind (or has it changed for him) and vetoes it there would still be a need for the 2/3 votes to override the veto right?
    I just hate having to rely on the word of a politician. I'm ready for it to be completely over.
    I don?t think you need to worry about this one. Now, when they start trying to change county names and such, that?ll become a major political battle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I don?t think you need to worry about this one. Now, when they start trying to change county names and such, that?ll become a major political battle.
    Something that does worry me, though, is a certain someone, who happens to enjoy tweeting and gaslighting on a massive scale, somehow stumbles across this story and decides to opine about it to all his twitter minions.....

I could see "yes" votes, as well as the Guv, getting cold feet if that happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    It's going to be Obama county
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    You were saying?
    I happily stand shocked and corrected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    I happily stand shocked and corrected.
    Can't say I wasn't surprised as well. I envisioned some backwoods bloc of legislatures getting together and causing it not to pass.

Great day for MS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    "John Wayne Airport" - cancelled!
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cal...rt-renamed.amp

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    It's going to be Obama county
    Naw, but it does need to be changed.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash

No you would need 2/3 of the legislature to override a veto. But only Need a majority to pass the bill and get it sent to Tate for his signing into law.

But Tate is not going to veto it.

vCash
    Oh no. Not John Wayne airport. That place was the foundation of American culture. Thomas Jefferson spent many months contemplating democracy at that airport. Sadly, America is lost. The communists have won.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    No you would need 2/3 of the legislature to override a veto. But only Need a majority to pass the bill and get it sent to Tate for his signing into law.

But Tate is not going to veto it.
    I must have misunderstood because I thought this being 2/3rds overrides any possible tater veto. Idk. Our political system is very wonky (the us in general not just MS)

Archimedes
    vCash
    I must have misunderstood because I thought this being 2/3rds overrides any possible tater veto. Idk. Our political system is very wonky (the us in general not just MS)
    No the 2/3 is to suspend the rules and not an actual vote on a bill.

vCash
    2/3 yesterday was to suspend the rules show a vote could be had.

That vote will be today and just needs a simple majority to pass. It would go to Tate to sign into law.

If Tate were to veto the bill, then another 2/3 vote would be required to override the veto. Presumably that could be done if the same 2/3 that voted yesterday to suspend the rules voted the same way to override the veto.

vCash
    House is starting meeting now

vCash
    No action on the flag yet... wonder if this is related. just recessed temporarily to got rules committee.

Listening to some of these other bills just make me sick.. plain corruption being talked about and they just smile and grin.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    No action on the flag yet... wonder if this is related. just recessed temporarily to got rules committee.

Listening to some of these other bills just make me sick.. plain corruption being talked about and they just smile and grin.
    Yes, rules committee is about to take up the flag bill.

vCash
    House bill for the state flag
    http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/202.../HB/HB1796.xml

History of Actions:
    1 06/28 Suspend from Deadlines by HC 69
    2 06/28 (H) Referred To Rules

Title: AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE COMMISSION TO REDESIGN THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG; TO PRESCRIBE THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE COMMISSION AND TO PROVIDE FOR ITS ORGANIZATION AND MEETINGS; TO PROVIDE THAT THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG RECOMMENDED BY THE COMMISSION SHALL NOT INCLUDE THE DESIGN OF THE CONFEDERATE BATTLE FLAG, BUT SHALL INCLUDE THE WORDS "IN GOD WE TRUST"; TO PROVIDE THAT THE COMMISSION SHALL MAKE ITS RECOMMENDATION FOR THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG BY SEPTEMBER 14, 2020; TO PROVIDE THAT THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG RECOMMENDED BY THE COMMISSION SHALL BE PLACED ON THE BALLOT IN A SPECIAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON NOVEMBER 3, 2020; TO PROVIDE THAT IF A MAJORITY OF THE QUALIFIED ELECTORS VOTE FOR THE NEW DESIGN, THEN THE LEGISLATURE SHALL ENACT INTO LAW THE NEW DESIGN AS THE OFFICIAL MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG; TO PROVIDE THAT IF A MAJORITY OF THE QUALIFIED ELECTORS VOTE AGAINST THE NEW DESIGN, THEN THE COMMISSION SHALL RECONVENE TO RECOMMEND ANOTHER NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG TO BE PRESENTED TO THE LEGISLATURE DURING THE 2021 REGULAR SESSION; TO REQUIRE THAT THE SPECIAL ELECTION BE ADMINISTERED BY MEANS OF BALLOTS CONTAINING A COLOR PICTURE OR DRAWING OF THE NEW DESIGN FOR THE MISSISSIPPI STATE FLAG; TO REQUIRE THE SECRETARY OF STATE TO PROVIDE THOSE BALLOTS TO THE ELECTION COMMISSIONERS OF EACH COUNTY; TO AMEND SECTIONS 23-15-351 AND 23-15-355, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO CONFORM TO THE PRECEDING PROVISIONS; TO REPEAL SECTION 3-3-16, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, WHICH PROVIDES THE DESIGN FOR THE OFFICIAL FLAG OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.

vCash
    and we are back on the feed...

vCash
    amendment proposed to name the bill after Kylin Hill

immediately tabled.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 06-28-2020 at 03:18 PM.