Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parents, you want public schools to open in Aug if cases are still spiking in Ms or

vCash

Parents, you want public schools to open in Aug if cases are still spiking in Ms or

wherever?

vCash
    Absolutely

vCash
    delete.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 06-26-2020 at 12:06 PM.

vCash
    Yes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    wherever?
    Only if we can't open them in July.**

But seriously, I really wish they would have planned to open in July to give an option to shutdown for a week or two in the fall or after Christmas. In hindsight, they should have opened schools back up in May to finish the semester but that's water under the bridge at this point.

I realize that's all a logistical nightmare and there is the question of contracts and compensation, but if we find out that school aged children do act not just to spread COVID to each other but also to less healthy populations outside of school, it would be nice to have the option to shut down for an extra couple of weeks without completely fubarring the school year for the kids.

vCash
    And if we find out that school aged children do spread COVID to each other and also to parents, grandparents, other caregivers, and less healthy populations inside and outside of school, it would be nice to have the option to not overwhelm our medical system.... Again....

It depends. Based on where we are now, in Houston Metro, kids should be back on learn from home.

If we can get back to the level we were in early May, and everyone will wear a mask, then I could see some sort of in class instruction.

But the USA has shown we are not mature enough to follow basic instructions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    And if we find out that school aged children do spread COVID to each other and also to parents, grandparents, other caregivers, and less healthy populations inside and outside of school, it would be nice to have the option to not overwhelm our medical system.... Again....

It depends. Based on where we are now, in Houston Metro, kids should be back on learn from home.

If we can get back to the level we were in early May, and everyone will wear a mask, then I could see some sort of in class instruction.

But the USA has shown we are not mature enough to follow basic instructions.
    Did you really expect people to sit in their houses til we have a vaccine? I mean how asinine and na?ve are you to believe that was a possibility. A rise in cases was going to happen, it was inevitable. We're testing at a rate that is triple most other countries. It's past time to get back to living life. Let people make their own choices regarding they and their family's safety. No one is forcing parents to send their kids back to school in the fall just as no one is forcing people to go to a ballgame. Most administrators I've talked to have plans in place to handle any type of situation. If you want to hole your kid up for the rest of time, then I'm sure the school will be more than accommodating towards distance learning.

vCash
    100%.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    For working parents, Where are the kids supposed to stay if there is no school?

vCash
    My kids have been at a daily 8-530 summer camp for a month with 150 other kids. No issues from any of the kids or teachers (or parents that I know of). It makes me wonder if there is smn to the theory that asymptomatic people (like kids) don't shed the virus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Liverpool's house

vCash
    Leaning to yes. I don't wish anyone to get Covid, but I believe the young and healthy are the least at danger.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Where I live, the school district is offering two options for the fall: 1) Send your kids to school or 2) Home school your kids using distance learning (like how the spring semester finished).

In this scenario, it's the parent's decision on what best works for them. I've spoken with some parents who are going to distance learn while others are going to send their kids to school. I would rather have the option as a parent versus being forced into the scenario that you describe. During quarantine when nothing was open and most jobs were working remotely, it was somewhat feasible. Unless a parent stayed at home full-time, distance learning isn't really an option.

vCash
    Yes. I do think they will open regardless but it could very well be only two grades every other day. Example 9th and 10th one day and then 11th and 12th the next.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Did you really expect people to sit in their houses til we have a vaccine? I mean how asinine and na?ve are you to believe that was a possibility. A rise in cases was going to happen, it was inevitable. We're testing at a rate that is triple most other countries. It's past time to get back to living life. Let people make their own choices regarding they and their family's safety. No one is forcing parents to send their kids back to school in the fall just as no one is forcing people to go to a ballgame. Most administrators I've talked to have plans in place to handle any type of situation. If you want to hole your kid up for the rest of time, then I'm sure the school will be more than accommodating towards distance learning.
    No, but you would hope they wouldn't make a federal case out of wearing a 17n mask and not congregating in groups over 10 damn people. Dumb 17s.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    The virus is not going away. We have to learn to live with it. Plus for kids, it?s the same danger as the flu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    The virus is not going away. We have to learn to live with it. Plus for kids, it?s the same danger as the flu.
    It is less than the flu.

vCash
    Yea, point being keeping your kids out of regular school for another semester will do waaay more harm. They may never be able to catch up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    No, but you would hope they wouldn't make a federal case out of wearing a 17n mask and not congregating in groups over 10 damn people. Dumb 17s.
    If places don't require masks then most people aren't going to wear one. That's just the facts. They are definitely uncomfortable and if you don't HAVE to wear one then it's much easier to not. Now I'm not deciding on where to go strictly off who requires to wear a mask, but some people do. It's the world we live in.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    It is less than the flu.
    Does the flu scar your lungs for life?