Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: And so it begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Are you serious about not destroying a country for a 5% death rate?

Whatever we are doing as a country isn't working. Spain and Italy seem to have it under control. Why can't we? There is simply no reason other than people refusing to do their part as a result of political ideology that has decimated our country. I haven't seen a single medical professional say wearing a mask is optional.

Between protests, large public gatherings, bars reopening, I don't see how this won't spread very quickly. A few weeks ago, the FloraBama was packed.

I'm not sure why these threads are even started anymore, there are some posters who are like C34 and his Stans rants. No matter what happens no one will utter the words "Its possible I was wrong, and this is a ****ing problem" same way C34 would never utter the words "Stans is a solid coach that always has us on the bubble or in the tourney, the next guy or guys may not be able to do that".

ITs frustrating, but IT is not going away anytime soon unfortunately.
    I don't know maybe because we have 300+ million people to Italy's 60 million. I'm sure it spread through their entire country pretty quickly.

New Zeland-- Population of 4.8 million

Spain population--46 million

You could combine those three countries and not even reach half of our population. It's a really dumb argument when people try and compare the US in anything to small European Countries. Smaller countries are much much easier to manage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    The actual death rate is well below 4.9%. If the actual death rate were 5%, there would be millions dead, and our country would be destroyed
    Correct. My calculations only cover the known infections to deaths. There are likely millions more out there who have had this and never were tested and have recovered or never were sick at all.

vCash
    Trump is not a god and nobody said he was. I certainly don't think so.

That DJT isn't a god doesn't mean that either constant kneejerk criticism OR defense of him is reasonable, or that the misrepresentation of the facts is acceptable (he said the hype was a hoax), or that comparing the overall bulk of United States to places like New Zealand or Spain or Italy makes sense in a global perspective. A coast to coast country that takes up a massive part of a massive continent and is one of the primary engines of the world economy is not the same as a tiny island nation that happens to be run by someone many people on the left admire because her politics are different from Trump's.

We could not have done what New Zealand did on the massive scale they did it and have still done it. When the President took the first step down that road, he was instantly berated as overreacting and as a racist. The criticism was already in place for ANYTHING he decided to do, and we all know it.

FWIW, I hope the flag gets changed today. I have supported the change for some time now.

Have a great weekend.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I don't know maybe because we have 300+ million people to Italy's 60 million. I'm sure it spread through their entire country pretty quickly.

New Zeland-- Population of 4.8 million

Spain population--46 million

You could combine those three countries and not even reach half of our population. It's a really dumb argument when people try and compare the US in anything to small European Countries. Smaller countries are much much easier to manage.
    Why is Italy kicking Texas and Florida's ass?

Smaller states are much easier to manage than countries.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    Trump is not a god and nobody said he was. I certainly don't think so.

That DJT isn't a god doesn't mean that either constant kneejerk criticism OR defense of him is reasonable, or that the misrepresentation of the facts is acceptable (he said the hype was a hoax), or that comparing the overall bulk of United States to places like New Zealand or Spain or Italy makes sense in a global perspective. A coast to coast country that takes up a massive part of a massive continent and is one of the primary engines of the world economy is not the same as a tiny island nation that happens to be run by someone many people on the left admire because her politics are different from Trump's.

We could not have done what New Zealand did on the massive scale they did it and have still done it. When the President took the first step down that road, he was instantly berated as overreacting and as a racist. The criticism was already in place for ANYTHING he decided to do, and we all know it.

FWIW, I hope the flag gets changed today. I have supported the change for some time now.

Have a great weekend.
    The only thing that was said was Biden had a rally saying trump = xenophobe in general. The talking point is that he said it in response to the minimalistic china ban. He didn't and has said as much since then.

It's interesting you claim that trump gets misrepresented and criticized and use your example as a misrepresentation of valid criticism.

The man said he was slowing testing down, got trolled by south koreans and teenagers, and has already effectively attacked texas by closing down 7 testing facilities as the keep spiking. That's just this past week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Why is Italy kicking Texas and Florida's ass?

Smaller states are much easier to manage than countries.
    What? Italy 60 Mil population, 240,000 infected over 34,000 deaths...Texas is half the population and the numbers are running about half...except with only 2,300 deaths. Italy is no where close to kicking Texas butt. Same for Spain concerning the number of deaths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    What? Italy 60 Mil population, 240,000 infected over 34,000 deaths...Texas is half the population and the numbers are running about half...except with only 2,300 deaths. Italy is no where close to kicking Texas butt. Same for Spain concerning the number of deaths.
    This!

vCash
    He’s just repeating what he’s been told by the news sources and people he listens to.

Banned
    vCash
    Current active cases:

Italy ~ 17k

Texsa ~ 63k

Florida ~ 97k

Again why is Italy kicking their ass currently.

Florida and Texas are both going through their spikes. Italy already has gone through theirs. Comparing the current death count is disingenuous. Based on worldwide trends we're about to see a spike of Houston deaths.

There's zero reason to pat ourselves on the backs. We've let this thing explode worse than we've had before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Current active cases:

Italy ~ 17k

Texsa ~ 63k

Florida ~ 97k

Again why is Italy kicking their ass currently.

Florida and Texas are both going through their spikes. Italy already has gone through theirs. Comparing the current death count is disingenuous. Based on worldwide trends we're about to see a spike of Houston deaths.

There's zero reason to pat ourselves on the backs. We've let this thing explode worse than we've had before.
    Death numbers are disingenuous? Sorry but that’s a skewed perspective, numerically and morally. For Texas to reach Italy’s death numbers, going by the percentages so far, they will have to have 2,000,000 cases (132,000 so far), 8 times that of Italy. You are way way off.
    It’s like saying how competitive your team played matching the opponent in total yards but lost by 50 points. You got your butt kicked in the game, no matter that the total yards were similar.

vCash
    Death numbers are disingenuous? Sorry but that’s a skewed perspective, numerically and morally. For Texas to reach Italy’s death numbers, going by the percentages so far, they will have to have 2,000,000 cases (132,000 so far), 8 times that of Italy. You are way way off.
    It’s like saying how competitive your team played matching the opponent in total yards but lost by 50 points. You got your butt kicked in the game, no matter that the total yards were similar.
    Apparently facts don't count.

Banned
    vCash
    You can't count the active cases as part of the death %. You don't know their outcome. You have to count the death / recovered. Otherwise, yes, you are being disingenuous with the deaths.

@ CC24, just because something is a "fact" does not mean it is a good metric. It's a fact that Richard Petty has the most wins in NASCAR. That is a fact. However it is disingenuous to use that as a fact to back up an opinion without qualifying it for good measure. David Pearson races at the same time and had a higher win %. So David Pearson is better, right? Well he skipped races that he wasn't as good at so that's not fair either. So who is the best racer of all time?

Anyways back to the main point. Italy's Death / Recovered is high at 18%. It also should be noted that their spike cane when testing was harder to come by. So they missed a lot of the asymptomatic cases we are seeing elsewhere. Texas is sitting at 3% currently. So it's not really 8 but it's more like 6X. Florida on the other hand is sitting at 13%. Not a great look though to be fair I'm not certain how accurate the recovered count is. But anyways, take the two of them together and you have about 6k deaths vs. 100k recovered. So we'll call it about 6%.

Italy population is 60 mil and texas + florida is documented as a combined 50ish mil (likely higher due to illegal immigrants being prominent in those states.)

So at that pace they'd need to reach a combined case count of 3 times Italy to have more total deaths. So Texas + Florida having to have 750k cases when they are now trending up at 275k combined. That is concerning and I don't want to revisit those numbers in two weeks. It's also scary to think how it plays out with a city reaching ICU capacity.

To conclude, I hope I'm wrong for sure. But it's been pretty easy to see the reality of the situation for what it is for a long long time. People want to believe America is kick ass but we aren't and we have fallen flat on our face on this like a neutral observer could have easily expected.

But if you disagree with my stats and methodology then you are agreeing that death numbers are disingenuous and that some facts shouldn't count on their own standing. So I hope I've at least made that point.