Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaze Jordan signs with the Red Sox...

vCash

Blaze Jordan signs with the Red Sox...

for 1.75 million as a 3rd round pick. More than a million dollars over his slot value. Oh well, at least he got his money. I really hate losing guys over amounts that aren't worth bypassing school for.

vCash
    He probably would have made more had he gone to school. See Foscue. At least a commitment to MSU means that MLB has to pay over slot to get you.

vCash
    1.7 is good for him. Not sure it's good for the Red Sox but it's hard to blame a kid for not turning that down.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Do we have updates on any of the other kids drafted? Specifically JT?

vCash
    Good for him!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IngomarDawg View Post
    Per Joel Coleman's site, only Foscue and Jordan have come to terms with their prospective clubs.

vCash
    I think it would be a shock if any of the ones drafted came back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    1.7 is good for him. Not sure it's good for the Red Sox but it's hard to blame a kid for not turning that down.
    At this stage of his career and where he is at now- I agree. I think the Red Sox overpaid for where is at now in his development IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    At this stage of his career and where he is at now- I agree. I think the Red Sox overpaid for where is at now in his development IMO.
    I would agree. He was worth more in the $900K-1.3 mil range
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I have seen him play several times......seems most are over paid. Can't blame him, but college ball would have told the story, his deal was a no brainer in my opinion, took the gamble out of the equation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I have seen him play several times......seems most are over paid. Can't blame him, but college ball would have told the story, his deal was a no brainer in my opinion, took the gamble out of the equation.
    The thing about is his power isn't really going to go away and as a position player injury risks are a lot lower. If he didn't develop at all at MSU and becomes Jeff Flagg 2.0 he would probably get something comparable to what he got. If he developed at a typical rate as most college players do he could get 1.3 million more or higher. There is some risk, but I think it would be fairly low.

Most of the risk with players is pitchers because they are more prone to injury but even that is starting to change some now that surgeries are becoming more advanced and the rehab process is evolving in a positive direction.

I think we'll get a good comp potentially when Kellum Clark goes pro in a couple of years.

vCash
    He can knock the hell out of an 82 mph HS fastball...but he is an average/below average HS fielder with average HS arm..,,, will look like Barry Bonds in BP...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IngomarDawg View Post
    Jt got a solid deal. North of his first round slot two years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Jt got a solid deal. North of his first round slot two years ago.
    Awesome! That means he made a good choice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    He can knock the hell out of an 82 mph HS fastball...but he is an average/below average HS fielder with average HS arm..,,, will look like Barry Bonds in BP...
    He didn't get paid to field. He got paid to hit bombs. Now maybe he won't pan out. But his power tool is way above avg. way above. Now can he get the hit part to avg. who knows. And I mean the above rankings are based on pro scale not hs or college. Hunter renfroe was behind him at the same time. Way behind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Exactly, very few minor league pitchers he is gonna face throws 82. I think the Red Sox overpaid thinking just maybe he could eventually turn into something besides the power. We shall see...

vCash
    Awesome! That means he made a good choice.
    Yes. Just hate we didn't get him for two years. But, we didn't hurt him for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He didn't get paid to field. He got paid to hit bombs. Now maybe he won't pan out. But his power tool is way above avg. way above. Now can he get the hit part to avg. who knows. And I mean the above rankings are based on pro scale not hs or college. Hunter renfroe was behind him at the same time. Way behind.
    Big difference, Renfroe is/was way more athletic. I wish Blaze all the best!

vCash
    Go Pro and several now bring up their perceived faults of him. I?m happy a young man gets the opportunity. He has options now if the pro game doesn?t work out. He is 17 with a potential to make a living most could only dream about. You don?t gamble on going to college with this money. And as great as we are in baseball he is still being coached by the team that drafted him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Big difference, Renfroe is/was way more athletic. I wish Blaze all the best!
    Nope not really. Renfroe has a job because he hits bombs. He k's a ton. Blaze can too. But if he hit bombs like hunter does he will have a job. Renfroe got drafted higher Bc of his arm and athleticism, but that's not why he still is in the bigs. Don't confuse the two.
    ETA-.and to my original point, I said at the same time, meaning in high school Blaze is ahead of hunter at same time. And it's not close really.