Thread: UM Tampering again?

vCash

UM Tampering again?

The new DC contacted this guy per the article ... does that constitute tampering or is it considered legal ?

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2020...ebacker-safety
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    No idea. It's free agency now. So who knows.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    The new DC contacted this guy per the article ... does that constitute tampering or is it considered legal ?

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/2020...ebacker-safety
    They just can't contact them before they are in the transfer portal. Once they're in the portal they can be contacted and that's the whole purpose of the portal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    No idea. It's free agency now. So who knows.
    article doesn't say if the player was in the portal or not ... doesn't sound like he was but you're right about college Free Agency these days
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Nothing will be done either way. Looks like a good pickup for OM

vCash
    Man, two years through the naval academy and now transferring to presumably get a degree from Ole Miss.

That's a pretty brutal step down. I know the degree from the naval academy comes with a service commitment (not sure what happens to his commitment after tranferring? Do people that transfer out just have to pay tuition for while they were there, which maybe is considered already paid for by a football scholarship for him?), but that's a degree that will carry weight for life.

ETA: googled and apparently you don't incur a service obligation until you start your third year, but maybe have to pay back some incidental costs that were paid for you.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 06-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Man, two years through the naval academy and now transferring to presumably get a degree from Ole Miss.

That's a pretty brutal step down. I know the degree from the naval academy comes with a service commitment (not sure what happens to his commitment after tranferring? Do people that transfer out just have to pay tuition for while they were there, which maybe is considered already paid for by a football scholarship for him?), but that's a degree that will carry weight for life.
    That was my thought too. If he were my son, I'd be trying to talk him out of this

vCash

totally agree ... the degree is for a lifetime ... just doesn't make sense to me to trade that for a few years of football ... and it's not an easy thing to get into the service academies

vCash

ETA: googled and apparently you don't incur a service obligation until you start your third year, but maybe have to pay back some incidental costs that were paid for you.
    He clearly says he is coming to play in the SEC and sell off his talent. Even if it is to an awful team in the SEC.

I'm sure he doesn't give a damn about trying to secure an OM degree. It's a business decision.

vCash

My neighbor is a Naval Academy grad. The player will absolutely owe 100% of everything for the 2 years he was there and it will be expensive.

vCash
    I get it.

Once you become a JR in the Navy, you're committed to the 4 years or service afterwards.

By doing this, he doesn't have to do that
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    He clearly says he is coming to play in the SEC and sell off his talent. Even if it is to an awful team in the SEC.

I'm sure he doesn't give a damn about trying to secure an OM degree. It's a business decision.
    I wasn't meaning to say he was transferring for the purpose of getting a UM degree. I meant he will presumably graduate from there since he was a good enough student to get into the naval academy and it seems unlikely that he could say, go use his last two years of eligiblity at UM and then transfer as a fifth year senior to a better school to get his actual degree from.

vCash
    A Naval Academy degree is near Ivy League status. That is a stupid decision unless he is sure fire NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    A Naval Academy degree is near Ivy League status. That is a stupid decision unless he is sure fire NFL.
    I assumed that's why he is transferring ... who trades a degree from Annapolis for one in Oxford ??? He must think he has a shot at the NFL is the only thing that makes sense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I assumed that's why he is transferring ... who trades a degree from Annapolis for one in Oxford ??? He must think he has a shot at the NFL is the only thing that makes sense
    Somebody has told him he's NFL material. That's the only thing that makes sense out of this.

vCash
    A person needs to be of high character to get into any of the service academy's. To get into ole miss I would think just being a character would be enough. That is a big drop in quality of education.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Somebody has told him he's NFL material. That's the only thing that makes sense out of this.
    I mean, avoiding a 5 year commitment to active service after graduation is a huge deal. I can see why somebody would be willing to downgrade their degree in order to avoid that. I wouldn't have been wiling to do that when I was 20. But with the benefit of hindsight, it's a lot easier to see that it's a good tradeoff.

ETA: had wrong pay numbers. Looks like it's more like $55k, not 70's. Still not horrible but not that great for somebody graduating from one of the most prestigious universities out there.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 06-24-2020 at 02:47 PM.

vCash
    Didn't we have a LB in the early 90s who did a couple of years at the USAFA and transferred to MSU?