Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Even Politically Possible to Change the Flag Before September 1st?

vCash

Is It Even Politically Possible to Change the Flag Before September 1st?

Just curious of the mechanism for change here.

I think most people want the flag changed, but how quickly can it realistically be changed?

What option do Mississippi politicians have to prevent our football teams from sitting the bench this year?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

I think most people want the flag changed, but how quickly can it realistically be changed?

What option do Mississippi politicians have to prevent our football teams from sitting the bench this year?
    Yes. The legislature is in session until July 10th - https://www.djournal.com/news/state-...12aa34492.html

And even if it wasn't, the Governor always has the ability to call the legislature into session to deal with an issue.

And if they try to say "deadlines" or "it's too late for it to go thru committees, and make it to the other chamber" blah blah - that's BS, as they can suspend all of those things if they choose.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I would venture to guess that if it doesn't get changed the ones wanting to get drafted after this season will play, regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I would venture to guess that if it doesn't get changed the ones wanting to get drafted after this season will play, regardless.
    I don't think it should come to that. Hopefully the situation will be resolved as quickly as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yes. The legislature is in session until July 10th - https://www.djournal.com/news/state-...12aa34492.html

And even if it wasn't, the Governor always has the ability to call the legislature into session to deal with an issue.

And if they try to say "deadlines" or "it's too late for it to go thru committees, and make it to the other chamber" blah blah - that's BS, as they can suspend all of those things if they choose.
    They can suspend those things with a 2/3's vote. I'd feel pretty good about getting a majority to vote to change the flag. I don't think it's likely we get a 2/3's vote to change it.

If the flag gets changed before next session, it will be because Tate calls a special session.

vCash

If they really wanted to, it could be don't in a day. They just have to vote 3-4 times, correct? Once for session, once to suspend any rules that stop them, Once to remove the old flag, and once to vote for the new flag....

I didn't get to go to Boys state so I may be wrong...

vCash
    I don't think it should come to that. Hopefully the situation will be resolved as quickly as possible.
    I wholeheartedly agree but I guarantee if it comes down to playing under the flag or losing draft stock and money they'll play. Money always speaks the loudest

vCash
    I wholeheartedly agree but I guarantee if it comes down to playing under the flag or losing draft stock and money they'll play. Money always speaks the loudest
    Yep.

vCash
    At the end of the day I agree and think he would say something like "After much discussion with my coaches, AD and Dr Keenum... etc MSU doesn't fly the flag...etc, don't want to let my teammates down...etc... Still for change and believe it's coming.... time to finish what I started...etc".

With all that said, I hope they just change the damn thing and be done with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    At the end of the day I agree and think he would say something like "After much discussion with my coaches, AD and Dr Keenum... etc MSU doesn't fly the flag...etc, don't want to let my teammates down...etc... Still for change and believe it's coming.... time to finish what I started...etc".

With all that said, I hope they just change the damn thing and be done with it.
    I played out that same scenario in my
    mind and that's about the "player speak" I thought of myself.

vCash
    Yep. They’ll play. Hopefully the flag gets changed but if not they’ll still play.

vCash
    Like I said, Kylin has achieved what Kylin was wanting to do which was Kylins name in the news...

vCash
    The flag needs to be changed. I'm proud of being a Southern boy and a son of Mississippi but not proud of some of the history. My flag is the red, white and blue and I'm proud of that too. We need to do the best we can to move ahead, and heal this country. I could go on and on but it has to start in our homes. Our children have to be taught respect and that includes all races and creeds, otherwise we're screwed.

vCash
    Mississippi is 37% black.

Assuming the black voters can be rallied vote, that means that only 14% of other races would have to vote to change the flag for it to pass.

Doesn't that sound completely doable? The key is getting black voter turnout.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    The flag needs to be changed. I'm proud of being a Southern boy and a son of Mississippi but not proud of some of the history. My flag is the red, white and blue and I'm proud of that too. We need to do the best we can to move ahead, and heal this country. I could go on and on but it has to start in our homes. Our children have to be taught respect and that includes all races and creeds, otherwise we're screwed.
    Well said.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

Assuming the black voters can be rallied vote, that means that only 14% of other races would have to vote to change the flag for it to pass.

The issue is, if they put it up to a general vote referendum, and it fails again, the state will be in a terrible position. The legislature needs to get this done, this term. If nothing else, just remove our current flag. We can vote on a new one next year.

They will not push for a referendum to be added to this election. It would bring too many people to the polls. If memory serves, trump won MS by 17%. 9% swing could be interesting, but the other races could be mixed up. No way they risk that. Its the same reason wedge issues never get approached after the election. Why solve a problem when you have a super majority? The wedge needs to stay in play.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    -----
    Last edited by Drewbowski; 06-23-2020 at 11:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    Like I said, Kylin has achieved what Kylin was wanting to do which was Kylins name in the news...
    I hope this doesn't hurt him in the draft. I want the flag changed too (I voted for the new ugly flag in 2001), but if the NFL sees Kylin as another Kaepernick, it might hurt his draft position. There's a LOT of time between now and then, so it'll all likely work out just fine if he plays. He needs to be at practice this summer, though.

vCash

The legislature could do it today if they wanted to.

vCash

It won't happen if it goes to a public vote.