Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
I used to ride on a county rd near my house. There was only two houses on this 5 mile road but one had multiple yard dogs. Most would bark and run me to the edge of the yard and stop but one never barked and would slip up and bite my shoes from behind. I started carrying a 3 ft piece of broom handle to adjust his attitude. I even made a holster on my bike to mount the broom handle but he was too smart. I never got more than a near miss on him. He even started hiding along the road waiting to ambush me away from the house or from the opposite of the road. I had to pass this house twice on each ride. I was at my local gun a shop one day and saw this little can of pepper spray intended for a woman to carry in her purse, I bought two just in case. My next bike ride I pedaled past the yard at a brisk pace, I get past the barkers and I hear claws scraping on the pavement as he gains on me. I turn and point the pepper spray in his direction and take my best aim. I catch him in mid lung about a foot from my leg. The spray hits him right on top of his nose. Mid lung he does complete barrel roll and lands on top of his head sliding down the road. On the return trip he is still rolling in the yard trying to get that stuff off, all the other dogs are sitting in a circle around him trying to figure out WTF is going on. After that day I was never chased nor barked at again.
Oh wow thank you. I have pepper spray I may take it on Longleaf Trail!