Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone "Biked" the Longleaf Trail?

vCash

Has anyone "Biked" the Longleaf Trail?

44 miles from Hattiesburg to Prentiss, I've been reading reviews and also had a friend tell me one of his buddies got robbed a few years back. Stole his bike, cell phone, watch and what little money he had, he had to walk 8 miles to find a phone for help. So should I be packing as I have read a few areas are questionable?

vCash
    Always pack. Don’t even mow your yard without packing!!!! A gun is useless if it’s not with you.
    Anyway, I’ve walked the Trace several times for several miles at a time. I never had any issues but you do go through some “shady” areas. I’ve never had a problem but I’m always packing in case I do have a problem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Always pack. Don’t even mow your yard without packing!!!! A gun is useless if it’s not with you.
    Anyway, I’ve walked the Trace several times for several miles at a time. I never had any issues but you do go through some “shady” areas. I’ve never had a problem but I’m always packing in case I do have a problem.
    I'm locked and loaded but never riding a bike. I do have a concealed permit, had it a while now. So many snowflakes now days, I would hate to be confronted as we all would. I heard the trail is very crowed until you get out side Hattiesburg for about 10 miles. The trail is supposedly smooth, not sure about some "hills" but hey I would like to bike it soon!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm locked and loaded but never riding a bike. I do have a concealed permit, had it a while now. So many snowflakes now days, I would hate to be confronted as we all would. I heard the trail is very crowed until you get out side Hattiesburg for about 10 miles. The trail is supposedly smooth, not sure about some "hills" but hey I would like to bike it soon!
    I haven’t been down it too far outside of Hattiesburg but I didn’t see any hills. It’s an old railroad track. I like it because of the wilderness scenery. You’ll see some animals too. (Real animals. Not the ones I see on tv at night destroying people’s property)

vCash
    I went 13.5 miles out and back from Hattiesburg. Relatively flat on that stretch. Lots of side trails for mountain biking which is primarily what we did. Good times when I was still in shape.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGen View Post
    I went 13.5 miles out and back from Hattiesburg. Relatively flat on that stretch. Lots of side trails for mountain biking which is primarily what we did. Good times when I was still in shape.
    I thought about going half way and turning around but not living in the area I want to do the one way ride. I read where the surface is pretty smooth overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I thought about going half way and turning around but not living in the area I want to do the one way ride. I read where the surface is pretty smooth overall.
    Very smooth blacktop.

vCash
    Yeah it was blacktop the whole way. We just got off on the side trails in some areas to jump over fallen trees and do some down hill stuff with tight turns. But if your on the actual long leaf trace the blacktop goes all the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdGen View Post
    Yeah it was blacktop the whole way. We just got off on the side trails in some areas to jump over fallen trees and do some down hill stuff with tight turns. But if your on the actual long leaf trace the blacktop goes all the way.
    At least I don't have to worry about someone driving a vehicle and pissed off at someone riding a bike. Had a Black dude the other day pass me as I crossed the street and shot me the bird. I'm like what the hell, I had stopped to make sure things were safe.

vCash
    I have walked the entire thing. Very nice trail. Something Mississippi can be proud of and I have heard visitors from all over the country compliment it. You used to hear about the occasional stray dog so I would view that as a bigger threat than anything else. You can park at the "Fields of Barktopia" in the general vicinity of Shadowridge Golf Course and head west on the trail if you want to skip the more populated Hattiesburg Areas of the trail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    I have walked the entire thing. Very nice trail. Something Mississippi can be proud of and I have heard visitors from all over the country compliment it. You used to hear about the occasional stray dog so I would view that as a bigger threat than anything else. You can park at the "Fields of Barktopia" in the general vicinity of Shadowridge Golf Course and head west on the trail if you want to skip the more populated Hattiesburg Areas of the trail.
    Thanks, tell me you walked it in a day? If so u r da man! I think I can ride it under 3 hours and 30 minutes.
    I read about wild dogs, I am a little concerned about a few misfits, I was told not to stop for anyone.

vCash
    I did it in one day but it was 65 degrees in the fall. It is amazing how far one can go when walking off the frustration of a Mississippi State football loss. I think I did this the day after the Tennessee game and had the girlfriend meet me halfway with food.

Along 44 miles anything could happen but for Mississippi this is about as good as it gets. I would feel 100 percent safe riding a bike especially if you are constantly in motion....and certainly safer than riding anywhere with automobiles.

vCash
    That is pretty amazing you walked 44 miles in a day. I think in my mind I could walk 44 miles, I ride a bike around 30 miles daily so 44 will be a first for me. I don't plan on stopping. I have read more good things about the trail than bad.

Thanks for the info.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertDawg View Post
    I did it in one day but it was 65 degrees in the fall. It is amazing how far one can go when walking off the frustration of a Mississippi State football loss. I think I did this the day after the Tennessee game and had the girlfriend meet me halfway with food.

Along 44 miles anything could happen but for Mississippi this is about as good as it gets. I would feel 100 percent safe riding a bike especially if you are constantly in motion....and certainly safer than riding anywhere with automobiles.
    I agree. I’ve never been afraid when on the Trace and wouldn’t worry at all. I’m always situationally aware though. I’m not a big guy so I always have a “force multiplier” with me. You would have a dog problem before any problem with a person I believe.

Funny thing, in all my years the only time I’ve drawn my firearm was on a pit bull. I’m glad it worked out without me shooting him because I was in his yard. I had knocked on their door but no one came to the door. I was walking back to the car and the dog walked up to me growling. My wife was with me so I instructed her to move to the vehicle and I stepped between her and the dog. I talked to the dog super friendly as I continued walking. He came at me and actually bit my belt and shirt as I drew my firearm. I aimed my gun and yelled at him and he immediately let go and stood there growling as I backed up to my vehicle. My wife and I got in and drove away. I was a nervous wreck. Not from fear of the dog, but from fear of the law and what could have happened if I would have shot the dog.

Anyway, no idea why I shared that story but this thread just brought that memory back.

vCash
    Wife and I got on at Sumrall several years back and rode toward Prentiss for 10-15 miles, then turned around, passed Sumrall and headed towards HB until I got a flat. Sumrall is roughly the mid point of the LL Trace. Heading north towards Prentiss, the trace goes pretty close through some folks' backyards. Never felt threatened but there may have been a dog or two.

vCash
    I used to ride on a county rd near my house. There was only two houses on this 5 mile road but one had multiple yard dogs. Most would bark and run me to the edge of the yard and stop but one never barked and would slip up and bite my shoes from behind. I started carrying a 3 ft piece of broom handle to adjust his attitude. I even made a holster on my bike to mount the broom handle but he was too smart. I never got more than a near miss on him. He even started hiding along the road waiting to ambush me away from the house or from the opposite of the road. I had to pass this house twice on each ride. I was at my local gun a shop one day and saw this little can of pepper spray intended for a woman to carry in her purse, I bought two just in case. My next bike ride I pedaled past the yard at a brisk pace, I get past the barkers and I hear claws scraping on the pavement as he gains on me. I turn and point the pepper spray in his direction and take my best aim. I catch him in mid lung about a foot from my leg. The spray hits him right on top of his nose. Mid lung he does complete barrel roll and lands on top of his head sliding down the road. On the return trip he is still rolling in the yard trying to get that stuff off, all the other dogs are sitting in a circle around him trying to figure out WTF is going on. After that day I was never chased nor barked at again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    I used to ride on a county rd near my house. There was only two houses on this 5 mile road but one had multiple yard dogs. Most would bark and run me to the edge of the yard and stop but one never barked and would slip up and bite my shoes from behind. I started carrying a 3 ft piece of broom handle to adjust his attitude. I even made a holster on my bike to mount the broom handle but he was too smart. I never got more than a near miss on him. He even started hiding along the road waiting to ambush me away from the house or from the opposite of the road. I had to pass this house twice on each ride. I was at my local gun a shop one day and saw this little can of pepper spray intended for a woman to carry in her purse, I bought two just in case. My next bike ride I pedaled past the yard at a brisk pace, I get past the barkers and I hear claws scraping on the pavement as he gains on me. I turn and point the pepper spray in his direction and take my best aim. I catch him in mid lung about a foot from my leg. The spray hits him right on top of his nose. Mid lung he does complete barrel roll and lands on top of his head sliding down the road. On the return trip he is still rolling in the yard trying to get that stuff off, all the other dogs are sitting in a circle around him trying to figure out WTF is going on. After that day I was never chased nor barked at again.
    Hahaha!!! That’s great!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    Oh wow thank you. I have pepper spray I may take it on Longleaf Trail!

vCash
    The trace is totally safe. They have had one or two incidents that I can remember but none in the last couple of years. I used to run it daily. I just went from the starting point downtown at chain park all the way to USM campus with my wife and two kids 6 and 7 years old. This is the part most people will tell you is the ?bad? or ?urban? part of the trace. We live downtown also so I guess we?re a little more seasoned to seeing some things and not thjj in king we are going to die. We had no worries at all. Once you leave USM and hit Jackson rod the Eply Depot it?s pretty much woods. It?s great for the city.

vCash
    I've been up and down the Trace, actually have started parking in Petal River Park and riding thru Bobby Chain Park and a sketchy neighborhood to get on the trace at Fourth and Bouie. I carry, but mostly because I would rather have it on me than in my truck. I bought a "gas tank" style bag that mounts on my top tube at the stem that works well for my pea shooter.