Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will you draw the line....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Hopefully, one day you dont find yourself on the other end of this sword.
    I understand your point, but I'll do my best to understand the difference between right & wrong in an effort to make sure that doesn't happen
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I apologize if this gets political but I would ask that we control the debating here and keep it mature.

Where do you draw the line? At what point in all this craziness will you decide to quit sports? Kneeling? Paid college players? Mascots changed? Athletes making demands. At some point it will effect revenue at the pro level. I have my feelings but it sucks every way we look at from a tradition standpoint. I want the best for everyone involved and that means there is give and take but at some point I will quit pro sports if it goes to far.
    Respectfully (trying to minimize debate), these things have always happened throughout the history of sports. Sports, like any cultural institution, has always been a vehicle for change. Just because many conveniently forget this history or think that athletes should just "shut up and play ball" doesn't change this. Try to image what conservatives were saying in 1947 when Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in baseball. "Athletes making demands. At some point it will effect revenue at the pro level. I have my feelings but it sucks every way we look at from a tradition standpoint. I want the best for everyone involved and that means there is give and take but at some point I will quit pro sports if it goes to far."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDawg View Post
    NWADAWG, that's easy to say, but the world is more complicated than that. Without protests and arguments would there even be black athletes? I don't have to the time to look up sources, but I'm betting sports and politics have been intertwined for a long time.
    I'm over 50 and can not remember a time when pro sports weren't open to all races and nationalities.

There may have been things those players dealt with that I didn't know about especially as a child but there were definitely black athletes in pro sports. Maybe the 70+ yo folks on here can remember something different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    You got it, it is about a power play. They talk tolerance but are intolerance to anyone with a different opinion on anything. I too don't have an issue changing the flag but let it happen the right way without the power plays. We used to be a country of laws and rights but that seems to have been pushed aside for whatever anything goes action those in power want to do. I too will continue to respect anyone's opinion and life choices even if I disagree. That is America or is used to be.
    Just How long does Mississippi need?

Georgia changed theirs in in 2001 and 2003...

We knew it was wrong and sent a bad signal in 2001. 19 years ago....

South Carolina removed the Battle flag of the army of North Virginia in 2015

Gunn said we should remove it from the MS flag then
    MSU and Ole Miss said it should be removed in 2015 and stopped flying the state flag on campus

The below states changed their flags for reason other than "this is to remove a symbol of hate" since 2001...

Meanwhile Louisiana has changed their flag twice since 2001, without a popular vote.

Utah changed thiers in 2011, and is changing it again this year, without a popular vote.

Iowa changed their flag in 2018

So again, How long was it going to take? Another 110 years?

vCash
    I'm pro flag change. I agreed the Minneapolis cop needed to be fired and prosecuted for the George Floyd death.

However I ran across a few tweets by three of our players that didn't support MHP Troopers. That really bothered me. That's the line for me. You have to understand not all Troopers and the state of MS is bad. I won't buy a ticket nor attend a football game this fall.

With that said, I was already on the fence about attending a game this year. Covid. Cohen's Gameday incompetency. Rising ticket prices and moving games for TV.... also knowing the outcome of most big games already..... I was not coming anyway unless there was a free ticket.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 06-19-2020 at 02:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I'm pro flag change. I agreed the Minneapolis cop needed to be fired and prosecuted for the George Floyd death.

However I ran across a few tweets by three of our players that didn't support MHP Troopers. That really bothered me. That's the line for me. You have to understand not all Troopers and the state of MS is bad. I won't buy a ticket nor attend a football game this fall.

With that said, I was already on the fence about attending a game this year. Covid. Cohen's Gameday incompetency. Rising ticket prices and moving games for TV.... also knowing the outcome of most big games already..... I was not coming to any this year anyway unless there was a free ticket.
    The escalation and combining unrelated issues in this post is fascinating.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    So what you are saying is that a few bad apples spoiled the bunch for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Rock View Post
    Did you quit Trump too? He was playing and swinging his arms acting like a fool during the anthem but heaven forbid a black man kneel to call attention to a real problem in this country.

Do you think it's OK for Trump to be disrespectful or are you in denial that he did it. Do I need to go find that video? On second thought, you probably wouldn't even watch it if I did or make excuses for your man or say it was all fake.
    Wow. You don't know a thing about me.

vCash
    Sports used to be the diversion that brought some people together; now it is the dividing rod of hatred. Our sports issues are just a manifestation of the rest of our culture as well. This didn't happen over night. Our spiritual and moral condition has been deteriorating for decades and finally coming to a head. Now some will say we are advancing. Look at the proof, not sure how anyone can buy that. Simply not true.
    Great response - I'm starting to lose my love for sports. I use hunting as my getaway from the real world and sports use to be the same. I still love college football and baseball as much as anyone but I'm starting to question it with everything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dparker View Post
    So what you are saying is that a few bad apples spoiled the bunch for you.
    Ha. Irony I'm aware.

But the tweet they retweet/comment in.... the MHP did nothing wrong. The tweet thread is doxing the Troopers.

All 3 starters. 2 are stars.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 06-19-2020 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    Ha. Irony I'm aware.

But the tweet they retweet/comment in.... the MHP did nothing wrong. The tweet thread is doxing the Troopers.

All 3 starters. 2 are stars.
    Not defending doxing - because I am against that -

But, we also have no idea what those players frame of reference is regarding their interactions with MHP. Their only interactions might have been with an a-hole MHP officer. Hell, you've seen the way Starkville Police ticket athletes left and right, it wouldn't surprise me if they have had bad encounters with MHP, or that a number of our players have only had bad experiences with any LEOS. Trust me, having a bad police encounter will change your opinion real quickly. It's hard to get over, and hard to trust LEOs after it happens.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Sports used to be the diversion that brought some people together; now it is the dividing rod of hatred. Our sports issues are just a manifestation of the rest of our culture as well. This didn't happen over night. Our spiritual and moral condition has been deteriorating for decades and finally coming to a head. Now some will say we are advancing. Look at the proof, not sure how anyone can buy that. Simply not true.
    Sports has been put on a moral pedestal and athletic privilege has become the norm. Most people wouldn't give two shits what these people care about if it wasn't for sports. It's interesting how hypocritical the diversity of sports is versus the real world. I haven't watched the NBA since Barkley said it was a "black league" and my NFL watching has declined steadily. I'll probably be done in the next 5 years.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Not defending doxing - because I am against that -

But, we also have no idea what those players frame of reference is regarding their interactions with MHP. Their only interactions might have been with an a-hole MHP officer. Hell, you've seen the way Starkville Police ticket athletes left and right, it wouldn't surprise me if they have had bad encounters with MHP, or that a number of our players have only had bad experiences with any LEOS. Trust me, having a bad police encounter will change your opinion real quickly. It's hard to get over, and hard to trust LEOs after it happens.
    I can have empathy for that, but at what point does it just become a distain for any type of authority or law?

vCash
    Ha. Irony I'm aware.
    No worries. Glad you caught the irony in it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    . . . Most people wouldn't give two shits what these people care about if it wasn't for sports. It's interesting how hypocritical the diversity of sports is versus the real world. . . .
    What do you mean by it's interest how hypocritical the diversity of sports is versus the real world?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    I can have empathy for that, but at what point does it just become a distain for any type of authority or law?
    I think that if you talked to most people protesting for change, its not about disdain for authority or the law, its about people in position of authority who either believe they are above the law or are treated as though they are above the law. It is also about inequities in the judicial system. Most of the people want the system to work, and for it to be fair, and they know for that to happen, we have to move off dead center.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Can't do a vote here. It just has to be done.

The politicians of Mississippi need to stand for what is right here. Even if it means they don't win re-election, at least they'll be on the right side of history & history will treat their name well.
    According to State Senators, there are back room deals being done by the democrats in Jackson as late as this pm. There is a vote scheduled in the House on Monday or Tuesday. People are asking for the names of all people involved.... This crap has happened in ever Presidential elections year... 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2020... That includes the flag crap, riots, race, etc... Look back and you will see what is going on. There are those that want all of your freedoms... If people don't STAND for something then they will FALL for anything.... They are coming for your guns next.... watch DC....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimi's Babies View Post
    According to State Senators, there are back room deals being done by the democrats in Jackson as late as this pm. There is a vote scheduled in the House on Monday or Tuesday. People are asking for the names of all people involved.... This crap has happened in ever Presidential elections year... 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2020... That includes the flag crap, riots, race, etc... Look back and you will see what is going on. There are those that want all of your freedoms... If people don't STAND for something then they will FALL for anything.... They are coming for your guns next.... watch DC....
    I haven't missed you Mimi. FFS.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Hunting, fishing? Michael Waddell just posted a video about death threats he's receiving and has received.

I think Mississippi flag should be changed for sure. Confederate flag should not be flying from Mississippi public buildings unless they're Civil War historical sites maybe, and then along with US Flag. I'm fine with discussion (may take a little time) on removing statues to museums or what not ... but not just destroying and tearing them down.

Fine with Nascar banning Confederate Flag. That's up to Nascar. But .. if someone wants to display it in their yard ... that's free speech. Same if someone wants to kneel during the National Anthem.

I'm fine with folks doing whatever the hell they wanna do in their personal lives, as long as they aren't hurting other folks physically, sexually, and in some cases mentally (depends on situation and should be close relationship like adult/child ... that's a tougher one). On the mental any adult usually can choose to just leave (although not always). So that's a tougher one.

Take the LGBT thing tho. If that's what they want to do ... fine. Don't understand it but I'll be nice an polite with them. Don't hate them and won't act that way towards them. I may and probably will choose not to hang out with them tho. That's my free choice. I have a couple of relatives that are LGBT. One very close one and I'm fine with both of them. Where that gets very tricky is male/female bathroom and men's/women's sports for transgender. Some kinda line needs to be drawn there IMO.

But if folks wanting all this "change" ... some of which is definitely warranted IMO, and they want to be "free" to do what they want and be treated fairly ... that also works both ways. Otherwise they just trying to do what has been historically done to them, from their perspective. So then it becomes about Power and maybe Revenge ... not Mutually Beneficial Change.

ETA: The only thing I would add is SEC fans have been oppressed for too long by Bama fans. Need to remove all Bama paraphernalia from EVERYWHERE. No exceptions ***** I am however, fine with whiskey distilling, weed growing, dog kicking, rednecks in Bama.
    This. I am all for changing the flag, but I?m not for changing it in response to cultural Marxism. That?s what this is. With cultural Marxism, it isn?t going to stop at just the flag. They will find something else that ?offends? and attack it. It?s all a tool of Marxism though.

vCash
    I have a real fear that this is only the beginning. At some point the American Flag, statues And monuments of the founders of this great nation, statues and monuments of American war hero's and other significant people will come under fire(heck it already is in some places),and that's when it's gonna get really ugly. We need change in some areas, yes, and issues that have to be fixed for sure and it's overdue in some areas, but there's a point where the destruction has to stop.