Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So y'all ready to never see a regional at the Dude again?

vCash
    This is a conspiracy theory from my parents that I was told when I was a child and may or may not be true. But certainly their opinion and there is maybe something to it.

Anyway in their opinion- and obviously they have held this opinion for years now- one of the reasons that MSU doesn't have a National Title or seem to get calls on the National stage is because of the state flag and the national perception of the state. Now obviously I don't KNOW that to be fact and it's just a theory. But having watched us get royally screwed in Omaha by that umpire against Louisville and then in the Women's National Title Game against Notre Dame it does make me wonder if the flag and the state's image hurt us when we get into those situations.

And then to go beyond that- does it hurt us even in SEC play sometimes- does the SEC really want a school like Ole Miss to be the image of their football empire? For us on a lesser scale does the image of the state and the flag hurt us in sports like football even though we don't glorify the Confederate stuff at MSU because we're in the same state? At the very least I think it affects the perception nationally.

I know that this is about regionals but does the flag hurt MSU as far as attracting potential students to MSU? Maybe a few.

And as a state I think it definitely hurts on a bigger non-MSU level. For example what if Jackson wanted to host a bowl game? You can say all you want about the Vet but it's better than Legion Field which hosts a bowl and I can't say that Shreveport is a lot better. Mobile is not great- you get my point. But I think in part because of the flag Mississippi will never have a bowl game even though I think the potential to have a lower level or HBCU bowl is definitely there and would be good for the city of Jackson as well as the state of Mississippi.

Just some other things to think about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydawg1 View Post
    Bullshit on all accounts. NCAA will NEVER deny 13,000 tickets sold. I don't care who you are. State is a rare money maker in baseball.
    The NCAA's view of college baseball is they don't care that much about it. They prioritize the wrong things sometimes. In this case to be clear I'm referring to money vs allowing someone like Michigan to host a regional because they're in the North.

Like Homedawg said they typically focus on other things. Overall performance being number one. It's different every year. Sometimes they prioritize spreading it around the conferences, sometimes they spread it around based on region, sometimes it's more RPI/SOS based. It really depends on the year and the committee and kind of what the vibe throughout the sport is that particular season. Typically attendance is on the lower end though because there are enough schools that draw well enough they don't have to worry about it and they're getting TV money regardless now. Like they're not going to pick 35-20 MSU with a RPI of 20 over 38-17 Vanderbilt with a RPI 12 because of attendance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Among other things. The flag needs to go, 20 years ago. This better not get locked because it is absolutely sports related, MSU sports related. Given what the SEC said today the NCAA will absolutely follow. It's that simple, as long as that is our state flag, there will never be another baseball regional or Super at Dudy Noble Field.
    It won't get locked. Or deleted unlike the dawg pound on Facebook.

Anyone who wants to keep the current flag. Speak up and give me a reason why....

I think I've already made my point clear on different mediums. It has to change. It stands for racism and hate and suppression.

vCash
    The NCAA and 90% of the schools in it dont give a rip about baseball and wouldnt blink an eye on dropping it.... so keeping Mississippi from hosting a Regional could easily be done.
    Last edited by Leeshouldveflanked; 06-19-2020 at 06:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    The NCAA and 90% of the schools in it dont give a rip about baseball and wouldnt blink an eye on dropping it.... so keeping Mississippi from hosting a Regional could easily be done.
    truth and our other big one now is wbb. maybe t&f. and softball too...
    those are much needed hosting opportunities... and now we have 25 athletes from ms including 2 from msu asking the ncaa to not award post-season pay to sports until the flag is changed. we can't miss out on that.

vCash
    "So y'all ready to never see a regional at the Dude again?"
    YES.

vCash
    It doesn't matter what you do, keep the flag or take it down, this mob will never stop. Are you fine with the Lee statue coming down and "rename Lee Hall"? Are you fine with "until you allow third trimester abortions".... There is a Maoist cultural revolutionary energy happening right now, we're seeing Washington and Jefferson statues torn down, and you think a little appeasement will make a difference. At some point normal people have to stand for normal civilization and society and tell these people, "no".

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex54 View Post
    It doesn't matter what you do, keep the flag or take it down, this mob will never stop. Are you fine with the Lee statue coming down and "rename Lee Hall"? Are you fine with "until you allow third trimester abortions".... There is a Maoist cultural revolutionary energy happening right now, we're seeing Washington and Jefferson statues torn down, and you think a little appeasement will make a difference. At some point normal people have to stand for normal civilization and society and tell these people, "no".
    & you're saying the flag is where we should put our foot down?

vCash
    I'm a conservative, but fearing where the mob will stop shouldn't prevent us from doing the right thing now.

I too worry about where the mob will stop, but the flag is clearly offensive & has no place in today's society. Those two issues shouldn't be related.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm a conservative, but fearing where the mob will stop shouldn't prevent us from doing the right thing now.

I too worry about where the mob will stop, but the flag is clearly offensive & has no place in today's society. Those two issues shouldn't be related.
    The flag is the definition of low hanging fruit, and should've been picked years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    The flag is the definition of low hanging fruit, and should've been picked years ago.
    Agree

vCash
    That's a weak argument. The flag should come down because it's the right thing to do. The "where will it stop?" standpoint is just a sad excuse for those wanting to keep it. Hopefully when things need so obviously to be changed, we change it. That's what democracies do. You feel that uncomfortable feeling you have? It's called change. Embrace it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydawg1 View Post
    Bullshit on all accounts. NCAA will NEVER deny 13,000 tickets sold. I don't care who you are. State is a rare money maker in baseball.
    Wrong.

Ross Dellenger put out a tweet this morning that says the NCAA is looking to amend the 2001 rules to ban ALL postseason events in MS. That includes regionals and super regionals. So you're wrong.

Someone embed the tweet in case he calls bullshit again.

vCash
    Set your own personal feelings aside and you'll realize that MSU is going to be hurt and put at a real disadvantage in our two best sports (baseball and women's basketball) if the flag doesn't change. That is an objective fact regardless of where you stand on the flag issue.

I am a lifelong conservative who has generally been apathetic about the flag, I will admit. I am no doubt a flawed human being and perhaps my lack of care or interest in this issue has been another flaw of mine. But now it's at the point where my school is about to be put in a bad situation if change doesn't happen, and I really don't want to see us being put in a bad situation.

I have a lot of big problems with today's cancel culture and normally don't like it when people give in to the demands of the angry mob, but on this particular issue I'm willing to say that I don't think our current state flag is worth fighting to keep. I hope it's changed just so I don't have to hear or read about flag debates again in my lifetime. Keeping it is just not worth it to me.

vCash
    It's time. This will benefit us in the long run. And not only MSU but the entire state of Mississippi.

Once the flag has been changed I expect the SEC/NCAA to tell ole miss they can't be ole miss anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This is a conspiracy theory from my parents that I was told when I was a child and may or may not be true. But certainly their opinion and there is maybe something to it.

Anyway in their opinion- and obviously they have held this opinion for years now- one of the reasons that MSU doesn't have a National Title or seem to get calls on the National stage is because of the state flag and the national perception of the state. Now obviously I don't KNOW that to be fact and it's just a theory. But having watched us get royally screwed in Omaha by that umpire against Louisville and then in the Women's National Title Game against Notre Dame it does make me wonder if the flag and the state's image hurt us when we get into those situations.

And then to go beyond that- does it hurt us even in SEC play sometimes- does the SEC really want a school like Ole Miss to be the image of their football empire? For us on a lesser scale does the image of the state and the flag hurt us in sports like football even though we don't glorify the Confederate stuff at MSU because we're in the same state? At the very least I think it affects the perception nationally.

I know that this is about regionals but does the flag hurt MSU as far as attracting potential students to MSU? Maybe a few.

And as a state I think it definitely hurts on a bigger non-MSU level. For example what if Jackson wanted to host a bowl game? You can say all you want about the Vet but it's better than Legion Field which hosts a bowl and I can't say that Shreveport is a lot better. Mobile is not great- you get my point. But I think in part because of the flag Mississippi will never have a bowl game even though I think the potential to have a lower level or HBCU bowl is definitely there and would be good for the city of Jackson as well as the state of Mississippi.

Just some other things to think about.
    Nah

vCash
    So let me get this straight, because "THEY" might, sometime in the future, want to go too far in removing things, but want to keep, per the people that voted for it at the time, things created "to exclude the Negro." and "to secure to the State of Mississippi, 'white supremacy'" and " to maintain white supremacy"? This is where you think we should draw the line? You want to support that?

More you want that to continue to define the State?

Quote below from the legislators that chose the Flag...

[...] Let's tell the truth if it bursts the bottom of the Universe. [...] We came here to exclude the Negro. Nothing short of this will answer.

? Solomon Saladin "S.S." Calhoon, Mississippi Constitutional Convention of 1890,

[...] It is the manifest intention of this Convention to secure to the State of Mississippi, 'white supremacy'. [...]

? Delegate George P. Melchior of Bolivar County, Mississippi Constitutional Convention of 1890, (D-MS), emphasis added.

[...] What are you here for, if not to maintain white supremacy? [...]

? Delegate Will T. Martin of Adams County, Mississippi Constitutional Convention of 1890, (D-MS)

[...] no advancement, no invention, no history, no literature, no governmental polity. We see only ignorance, slavery, cannibalism, no respective, cannibalism, no respect for women, no respect for anything [...] not inventive, not progressive, not resourceful, not energetic [...]

? Solomon Saladin "S.S." Calhoon, Negro Suffrage, (1890), by S.S. Calhoon, Jackson, Mississippi: Commonwealth Steam Print.[3][4]

[...] Negro suffrage is an evil, and an evil [...]

? Solomon Saladin "S.S." Calhoon, Negro Suffrage, (1890), by S.S. Calhoon, Jackson, Mississippi: Commonwealth Steam Print.[3][4]

[...] The negro race seems unable to maintain even its own imitative acquirements. It seems unfit to rule. Its rule seems to mean, as it has always meant, stagnation, the enslavement of woman, the brutilization of man, animal savagery, universal ruin. [...]

? Solomon Saladin "S.S. Calhoon, Mississippi Constitutional Convention of 1890, (1890)

There is no use to equivocate or lie about the matter. [...] Mississippi's constitutional convention of 1890 was held for no other purpose than to eliminate the ****** from politics. Not the 'ignorant and vicious', as some of the apologists would have you believe, but the ******. [...] Let the world know it just as it is.

? James K. Vardaman,

They do not object to negroes voting on account of ignorance, but on account of color.

? The Clarion-Ledger,

In Mississippi we have in our constitution legislated against the racial peculiarities of the Negro. [...] When that device fails, we will resort to something else.

? James K. Vardaman,

Last edited by SheltonChoked; 06-19-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: clarity

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Wrong.

Ross Dellenger put out a tweet this morning that says the NCAA is looking to amend the 2001 rules to ban ALL postseason events in MS. That includes regionals and super regionals. So you're wrong.

Someone embed the tweet in case he calls bullshit again.
    It's beyond time...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    & you're saying the flag is where we should put our foot down?
    No, we should have put our foot down long before now.

Archimedes
    vCash
    The alumni association needs to start a petition to change the flag today. It should have been done years ago.