Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U of Florida to officially drop the "Gator Bait" cheer...

vCash

U of Florida to officially drop the "Gator Bait" cheer...

From El Presidente' Kent Fuche:

"While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our ?Gator Bait? cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific historic racist imagery associated with the phrase. Accordingly University Athletics and the Gator Band will discontinue the use of the cheer."

Nice.

http://statements.ufl.edu/statements...st-racism.html
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Tiger bait next?

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 06-18-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Delete
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 06-18-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    From El Presidente' Kent Fuche:

"While I know of no evidence of racism associated with our ?Gator Bait? cheer at UF sporting events, there is horrific historic racist imagery associated with the phrase. Accordingly University Athletics and the Gator Band will discontinue the use of the cheer."

Nice.

http://statements.ufl.edu/statements...st-racism.html
    Anyone ask Fuche where is "fuche-ing" back-bone went?
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Word out of Gainesville is that he "woke" up, and it was gone.

No.

vCash
    Can someone not as blinded by white privilege explain to me what "horrific historical racist imagery" is involved with the Gator bait chant?

Edit: Never mind I googled it. Never heard of that before and I'm quite sure everyone knows the chant has nothing to do with that. But I guess we live in a world where a senior adult depression awareness campaign turned meme about marital stress can be considered racist, so I can't be too surprised.
    Last edited by RiverCityDawg; 06-18-2020 at 01:20 PM.

vCash
    I thank god every day that I don?t wake up looking for something to be offended by. That has got to be a miserable existence when we only have so many years on this wonderful earth given to us by GOD.

vCash
    Habitually offended.... Must be addictive.

vCash
    I guess I actually get it after googling the term

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I guess I actually get it after googling the term

Holy sheet. That turned my stomach.

Banned
    vCash
    Good on Florida for being proactive.

The last thing you want to do is have to be reactive to the backlash. *looks at mississippi flag*

vCash
    Jesus...I never knew that's where that came from. Terrible history to that term. Good on them for getting rid of it now.

That's sickening.

vCash
    SOON...

Someone is going to start talking about the Louisiana Tigers being an elite Zouaves unit during the Civil War. They did not fight for the north, so they gotta go.

Francis Marion, the "Gamecock" owned some slaves. They are gonna need to make Banastre Tarleton the good guy in the "Patriot" movie.

Tennessee Volunteers were important to the war of 1812. Found the vulnerability of Spain in Florida, few actual settlements, just "dispensable" Indian refugees from Georgia and Alabama. The Vols formed the nucleus of the eventual Texas filibusters (Davey Crockett) that took Texas from Mexico. But between all that, the Vols fought lots of Indians in the Southeast. Basically, the Volunteers were ethnic cleansers, specifically the Red Stick war was nasty business. Basically the Vols are the bad guys in the movie Avatar. Further on, the Spanish and later Mexican government gave them land grants in East Texas to "control" the Comanches....Seems weak to simply drop a school nickname but not give Texas back to Mexico. I mean, if you are so offended, right? How can you be a committed SJW and just change school nicknames but keep the actual spoils?

Meanwhile in Starkville, we are adorable Bulldogs.

vCash
    Good on Florida!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    No need. He did the right thing. Wish everyone has the set of balls this dude does.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    This is LSU’s chance to get ahead of things and officially change their mascot to the Corndog

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Danko View Post
    I thank god every day that I don?t wake up looking for something to be offended by. That has got to be a miserable existence when we only have so many years on this wonderful earth given to us by GOD.
    Amen to that brother. If we dig deep enough, I'm sure most anything can be traced back to a point in history when things were bad. I'm not saying all things need to remain the same(because they don't) but some people are just plain ridiculous with this stuff. I'm glad I don't live my life that way. Also, we may not have as many years as we think if God keeps seeing the way the world is going and how we are treating others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    No need. He did the right thing. Wish everyone has the set of ovaries this dude does.
    FTFY

No.

vCash
    Im very much in favor of a lot of things changing right now actually (looking at you Aunt Jemima) but... this.. it had no direct connection with those images. I just can't make the connection... that's too far for me
    Do we ban cotton because it was historically harvested by slaves, same with peanuts?

This is the one where i say.. how far does it go i guess. unless someone can prove to me a connection.