Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 101

Thread: Atlanta has little to no police presence now

  1. #81
    Senior Member DownwardDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,332
    vCash
    996345
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Of you all just need to go to the damn political board..
    So do you just ignore the COVID thread? Most political thread in the history of ED.
    We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics."
    BUT...
    We are encouraged TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics?

  2. #82
    Senior Member msu15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    TUSK'S DOME
    Posts
    910
    vCash
    1050600
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    So do you just ignore the COVID thread? Most political thread in the history of ED.
    Repped
    Fire Ben Howland

  3. #83
    Senior Member DownwardDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,332
    vCash
    996345
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Repped
    Thanks bro! Repped ya back!!
    We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics."
    BUT...
    We are encouraged TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics?

  4. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,294
    vCash
    53427
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    He's been warned.. I'm watching.. even closer now.
    Thanks for what you do man

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,879
    vCash
    3200952
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Ok serious question, I am genuinely trying to understand where you are coming from...

    You are clearly arguing police should be held accountable and I agree.

    This is where I think we are going to differ...

    Do you believe that citizens both black and white should be held responsible for their actions?

    When would you agree that it is alright for PD to use deadly force? At what point has the said citizen crossed the line to far?

    Do you believe cops should have the right to defend themselves before the person in question fires a bullet at them? Or should they only fire once fired upon?
    Police are allowed to escalate.

    Civilians are not.

    Police are trained to deal with life or death scenarios.

    Civilians are not.

    There's 3 solid amendments about how police should not be killing people period. There should be no special case outside of normal self-defense to allow for killing people.

    Police get acquitted for firing 4 bullets into a man pulled over and telling the cop he's nkt reaching for the gun because the cop couldn't see his hand. That's not self-defense.

    I fail to see how you need special protections under the law when you have extra training and apparently military grade equipment to enforce it. It's comical to defend.

  6. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,879
    vCash
    3200952
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Thanks for what you do man
    Free speech in action. Love it when it works for you. Hate it when someone explains to you how it works when it's not working for you.

    Hilarious and sad.

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    6,012
    vCash
    1057581
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    You have literally NO reading comprehension. Castille is an example of WHAT IS WRONG!!!! It was a bad shoot. He was in the wrong. He should have been tried and charged. Not acquitted. But that is largely on the JUDICIAL SYSTEM. The police cannot acquit. That is up to a judge and jury. Not law enforcement...good grief.

    Cops DO NOT defend bad apples. I have PERSONALLY put bad cops in JAIL and had even more suspended or fired. I have collegues that have done the same. It's just that the media never covers that aspect of it. A lot of that they CAN'T cover because it is covered by privacy laws that are a constitutional right of every citizen in the US. Maybe we should just start announcing "hey media and citizens! We are investigating some information on Officer Joe and Officer Bob regarding some intel we got about them being dirty! We will be surveilling them on this date and this time and also seizing their phones to further our investigation on this date! Jsut wanted everyone to know!!" YES...there are BAD law enforcement officers that get into the ranks or get involved with bad stuff once they get on the force. Most agencies actively work to identify those and get rid of them. A complaint does not equal a bad officer. It's just a complaint. Most are based on a citizens hurt feelings. Most brutalization complaints are filed as part of civil suits by subjects who FOUGHT the police as they were being arrested. It's a money grab. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings but it's actual ****ing reality. Case in point: If Brooks had not been shot (but had fought the police and subsequently been tased during the chase) he would have probably filed a brualization complaint to found a civil suit against the department to try to grab some cash. I've literally seen this happen dozens upon dozens of time.

    Your misinformed assumption is that every complaint against every officer is real. That's just not the truth. Your assumption is that we don't really investigate it. Or that we cover everything up. These are all assumptions. You are literally not involved at any level with any of those investigations.

    As I said earlier. Anyone can complain about anything on an officer. Some of them are real. Some of them are misunderstandings. Some of them are complete fabrications. 10% doesnt' mean shit because based on investigation by local , state, and federal entities under 5% of that 10% total are actually justifiable complaints. So under 4,000 justifiable complaints and most of those actually center around policy violations and breach of 4th or 5th amendment rights. As I've stated before...there needs to be reform and training. No one is arguing that. Literally....no one.

    Your final line reveals what your compulsion is, though. You have unmasked your true intent. This is the same intent that is held by a vast number of protesters and rioters. In your own words "Sorry you can't handle the people treating you like people of color are treated". So, you perceive that all officers treat all people of color a certain way. So the answer is to retaliate based on an overblown, perceived slight. Well...that's a good way to change things for the better.... Again, you don't have actual stats to back that up just some anecdotal bullshit scenarios from which you make broad generalities. The fact is that most of the stats don't support your argument. This is why most libs don't want to address stats except for a few that they cherry-pick.

    Chris Rock doesn't define anything about law enforcement. 100% perfection is not achievable by any human. Do you trust flying? Planes crash all the time. Do you trust doctors? Doctors kill patients and misdiagnose all the time. Where are the riots? The protests?

    There aren't any. Why the police then? Because people don't like to get in trouble. They don't like tickets. They don't like fines.

    I'm done. At this point, I (and most of us now) really hope you all get what you are asking for.

    Incidentally, actual scientific research disproves all the bullshit:

    https://ccj.asu.edu/content/expert-i...-racism-effect

    Sorry that doesn't support your anecdotally based bullshit but when have stats and facts ever done anything for someone with their head up their own ass.
    From your link...
    police officers harbored implicit racial bias, associating weapons with black suspects more often than white suspects,

    when we tested officers using the implicit association test, we found a very strong implicit association between African Americans and weapons. So we did find evidence of implicit racial bias, just like previous studies had found.
    And that is the point of Black Lives matter.... to address the "Implicit racial bias" that multiple studies have found in Police.....

  8. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    987
    vCash
    38467
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Dawgology. 85,000 police force members have had complaints of excessive force or the ilk levied against them. That's ~10%

    As Chris Rocksaid, police is one of the jobs where you CANT have bad apples. To paraphrase Chris Rock, Imagine if 10% of pilots didn't feel like landing properly and just did whatever they wanted. Would you trust flying?

    A few bad apples SPOIL THE BUNCH.

    Every step of the way, cops stand up to defend the bad apples.

    You even prove it with your stat and you don't get it. All those internal investigations of wrongdoing. We, the police, find no evidence on police wrongdoing.

    You even said Castille is a great example.

    THE COP WAS FOUND INNOCENT.

    Sorry you can't handle the people treating you like people of color are treated. Maybe don't kill people and don't defend killers, idk.
    Chris Rock, you say?


  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    196
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    From your link...

    And that is the point of Black Lives matter.... to address the "Implicit racial bias" that multiple studies have found in Police.....
    But why is there an implicit bias, this is what the liberals overlook, - it is not because of the color of their skin as you propose - a racial bias. It is because there is a strong association, numbers, percentages - aka a fact - between African Americans and weapons and violence. Reread his post!
    Last edited by Extendedcab; 06-19-2020 at 09:42 AM.

  10. #90
    Senior Member DownwardDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,332
    vCash
    996345
    Quote Originally Posted by Barkman Turner Overdrive View Post
    Chris Rock, you say?

    That’s outstanding!!!
    We are told NOT to judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics."
    BUT...
    We are encouraged TO judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics?

  11. #91
    TheDynastyIsDead TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    12,255
    vCash
    1173562
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    From your link...

    And that is the point of Black Lives matter.... to address the "Implicit racial bias" that multiple studies have found in Police.....
    Sure, there's "implicit racial bias"... I'd think that'd be normal when you've ~3-4% of a populous that's responsible for ~50% of violent crime...

    For example, let's say my neighbor has a chicken coop... and I go over to visit one day and find dead chickens every where...

    I'm not gonna cast nearly the suspicious eye on the squirrels up in the trees, or the woodchuck out nibblin' on soybean shoots...

    however, that stray pitbull with the dead chicken in his mouf might get my attention...

    js

    Oh, and that actually happened.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.


    Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

  12. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    6,012
    vCash
    1057581
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    But why is there an implicit bias, this is what the liberals overlook, - it is not because of the color of their skin as you propose - a racial bias. It is because there is a strong association, numbers, percentages - aka a fact - between African Americans and weapons and violence. Reread his post!
    Because, then it would not be called "Bias".

    But you are free to find the studies to back you up. I just read a part of the one he linked to show how Police were not biased, Only to find out that Police are racially biased....

  13. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    196
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Because, then it would not be called "Bias".

    But you are free to find the studies to back you up. I just read a part of the one he linked to show how Police were not biased, Only to find out that Police are racially biased....

    But Only because the violent crime statistics support that stance. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SKIN COLOR! It is not a race issue, you are making an argument where there isn't one! It is purely a numbers play! It is because, as was stated in the quote you supplied, there is a strong association, numbers, percentages - aka a fact - between African Americans and weapons and violence.

    If statistics showed that 70+ percent of crime occurred in the downtown area of the town you live in, say between 6pm and 12pm, would you go there during those hours? Why not? Is it racist to avoid an area KNOWN for high crime? Is it racist for the police to be on high alert in that high crime area during those hours? What precautions do you want the police to use to protect themselves and others - innocent bystanders? Would you take your family - wife and children to this high crime area during those hours? Why not, are you a racist? You would be at least be biased if you do not take your family there. Biased because because of statistics and not because of a particular skin color of the perps. If I am shot or conked in the head, robbed or whatever, I could care less of the skin color of the perpetrator. I would only be worried about saving my butt!

    You apply different standard to others (police) than you apply to yourself.

  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    6,012
    vCash
    1057581
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    But Only because the violent crime statistics support that stance. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SKIN COLOR! It is not a race issue, you are making an argument where there isn't one! It is purely a numbers play! It is because, as was stated in the quote you supplied, there is a strong association, numbers, percentages - aka a fact - between African Americans and weapons and violence.

    If statistics showed that 70+ percent of crime occurred in the downtown area of the town you live in, say between 6pm and 12pm, would you go there during those hours? Why not? Is it racist to avoid an area KNOWN for high crime? Is it racist for the police to be on high alert in that high crime area during those hours? What precautions do you want the police to use to protect themselves and others - innocent bystanders? Would you take your family - wife and children to this high crime area during those hours? Why not, are you a racist? You would be at least be biased if you do not take your family there. Biased because because of statistics and not because of a particular skin color of the perps. If I am shot or conked in the head, robbed or whatever, I could care less of the skin color of the perpetrator. I would only be worried about saving my butt!

    You apply different standard to others (police) than you apply to yourself.
    This is going to take a while because of how far back it goes and your lack of knowledge.


    First to address your "points". The author of the study says, there is a "inherent bias against blacks by police". So your argument is with her not me. If it has nothing to do with skin color the why did she use the word "Black"? It is a race issue. That's why it's a bias.

    High crime areas are poor areas. Poverty is what drives Crime. Look at the increased crime rate in Appalachia since the mining industry shut down. That region went from a very low crime area, to a high crime and drug use area. Do you think it's the inner city ghetto moving to Appalachia?



    TL;DR Yes, it does. The system was made to keep blacks poor.

    Do some research into how much more policing is done in Black communities that in white, How much more often Blacks are pulled over for minor traffic offenses than white. Read about the black codes, what they are, and why. Learn about the impact of economics and the crime rate. Read about redlining and how that affects the economics, schooling, and poverty rate of an area.

    Let's begin.

    It dates back to Slavery, and is even encoded into the 13th amendment. See the 13th has a slavery loophole. It allows for Slave labor for those in prison.

    So in 1866, one year after the 13th Amendment was ratified (the amendment that ended slavery), Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina began to lease out convicts for labor (peonage). This made the business of arresting Blacks very lucrative, which is why hundreds of White men were hired by these states as police officers. Their primary responsibility was to search out and arrest Blacks who were in violation of Black Codes. Once arrested, these men, women and children would be leased to plantations where they would harvest cotton, tobacco, sugar cane. Or they would be leased to work at coal mines, or railroad companies. The owners of these businesses would pay the state for every prisoner who worked for them; prison labor.

    After the passing of the 13th Amendment, more than 800,000 Blacks were part of the system of peonage, or re-enslavement through the prison system. Peonage didn?t end until after World War II began, around 1940.

    This is how it happened.

    The 13th Amendment declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (Ratified in 1865)

    Did you catch that? It says, ?neither slavery nor involuntary servitude could occur except as a punishment for a crime". Lawmakers used this phrase to make petty offenses crimes. When Blacks were found guilty of committing these crimes, they were imprisoned and then leased out to the same businesses that lost slaves after the passing of the 13th Amendment. This system of convict labor is called peonage.

    The majority of White Southern farmers and business owners hated the 13th Amendment because it took away slave labor. As a way to appease them, the federal government turned a blind eye when southern states used this clause in the 13th Amendment to establish laws called Black Codes. Mississippi was the first state to pass Black Codes. Here are some examples of Black Codes:

    In Mississippi, "An Act to confer Civil Rights on Freedmen". This law allowed Blacks to rent land only within cities?effectively preventing them from earning money through independent farming. It required Blacks to present, each January, written proof of employment.
    Whites could avoid the code's penalty by swearing a pauper's oath. In the case of blacks, however: "the duty of the sheriff of the proper county to hire out said freedman, free negro or mulatto, to any person who will, for the shortest period of service, pay said fine or forfeiture and all costs." The laws also levied a special tax on blacks (between ages 18 and 60); those who did not pay could be arrested for vagrancy.
    That all freedmen, free negroes and mulattoes in this State, over the age of eighteen years, found on the second Monday in January, 1866, or thereafter, without lawful employment or business, or found unlawfully assembling themselves together, either in the day or night time, and all white persons so assembling themselves with freedmen, free negroes or mulattoes, or usually associating with freedmen, free negroes or mulattoes, on terms of equality, or living in adultery or fornication with a freed woman, free negro or mulatto, shall be deemed vagrants, and on conviction thereof shall be fined in a sum not exceeding, in the case of a freedman, free negro, or mulatto, fifty dollars, and a white man two hundred dollars, and imprisoned, at the discretion of the court, the free negro not exceeding ten days, and the white man not exceeding six months.
    (FYI the top wage in MS for farm labor was less then $2/week)

    In Louisiana, it was illegal for a Black man to preach to Black congregations without special permission in writing from the president of the police. If caught, he could be arrested and fined. If he could not pay the fines, which were unbelievably high, he would be forced to work for an individual, or go to jail or prison where he would work until his debt was paid off.

    If a Black person did not have a job, he or she could be arrested and imprisoned on the charge of vagrancy or loitering.

    This next Black Code will make you cringe. In South Carolina, if the parent of a Black child was considered vagrant, the judicial system allowed the police and/or other government agencies to ?apprentice? the child to an "employer". Males could be held until the age of 21, and females could be held until they were 18. Their owner had the legal right to inflict punishment on the child for disobedience, and to recapture them if they ran away.
    This (peonage) is an example of systemic racism - Racism established and perpetuated by government systems. Slavery was made legal by the U.S. Government. Segregation, Black Codes, Jim Crow and peonage were all made legal by the government, and upheld by the judicial system. These acts of racism were built into the system, which is where the term ?Systemic Racism? is derived.

    This is the part of "Black History" that most of us were never told about.

    Research indicates that there is extensive racial and ethnic discrimination by police and the judicial system.A substantial academic literature has compared police searches (showing that contraband is found at higher rates in whites who are stopped), bail decisions (showing that whites with the same bail decision as blacks commit more pre-trial violations), and sentencing (showing that blacks are more harshly sentenced by juries and judges than whites when the underlying facts and circumstances of the cases are similar), providing valid causal inferences of racial discrimination. Studies have documented patterns of racial discrimination, as well as patterns of police brutality and disregard for the constitutional rights of African-Americans, by police departments in various American cities,
    According to the NCVS for 1992?2000, 43% of violent criminal acts, and 53% of serious violent crime (not verbal threats, or cuts and bruises) were reported to the police. Overall, black (49%) and indigenous Americans (48%) victims reported most often, higher than whites (42%) and Asians (40%). Serious violent crime and aggravated assault against blacks (58% and 61%) and indigenous Americans (55% and 59%) was reported more often than against whites (51% and 54%) or Asians (50% and 51%). indigenous Americans were unusually unlikely to report a robbery (45%), as with Asians and a simple assault (31%)
    In-group bias has been observed when it comes to traffic citations, as black and white cops are more likely to cite out-groups. A 2013 report found that blacks were "3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana possession," even though "blacks and whites use drugs, including marijuana, at similar rates." A 2020 study in the journal Nature found that black drivers were stopped more often than white drivers, and that the threshold by which police decided to search black and Hispanic drivers was lower than that for whites (judging by the rate at which contraband was found in searches). Analysis of more than 20 million traffic stops in North Carolina showed that blacks were more than twice as likely as whites to be pulled over by police for traffic stops, and that blacks were more likely to be searched following the stop. There were no significant difference in the likelihood that Hispanics would be pulled over, but Hispanics were much more likely to be searched following a traffic stop than whites. When the study controlled for searches in high-crime areas, it still found that police disproportionately targeted black individuals. These racial disparities were particularly pronounced for young men. The study found that whites who were searched were more likely to carry contraband than blacks and Hispanics.
    A 2018 study in the Journal of Empirical Legal Studies found that law enforcement officers in Texas who could charge shoplifters with two types of crimes (one more serious, one less so) due to a vaguely worded statute were more likely to charge blacks and Hispanics with the more serious crime.

    A 2019 study, which made use of a dataset of the racial makeup of every U.S. sheriff over a 25-year period, found that "ratio of Black‐to‐White arrests is significantly higher under White sheriffs" and that the effects appear to be "driven by arrests for less‐serious offenses and by targeting Black crime types."
    A 2018 study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that tall young black men are especially likely to receive unjustified attention by law enforcement. The authors furthermore found a "causal link between perceptions of height and perceptions of threat for Black men, particularly for perceivers who endorse stereotypes that Black people are more threatening than White people."
    For example, Robert J. Sampson has reported that most of the reason violent crime rates are so high among blacks originates mainly from unemployment, economic deprivation, and family disorganization. Specifically, he found that "the scarcity of employed black men increases the prevalence of families headed by females in black communities" and that the increased prevalence of such families in turn results in family disruption that significantly increases black murder and robbery rates.[
    According to a 2017 study in the Journal of Law and Economics, "Higher pretrial detention rates among minority defendants explain 40 percent of the black-white gap in rates of being sentenced to prison and 28 percent of the Hispanic-white gap." The majority of individuals held in pretrial detention are being held because they cannot afford to post bail. The individuals in pretrial detention face higher incentives to plead guilty (even if they are innocent) for a number of reasons, which leads to a higher sentencing rates for these individuals.
    Studies indicate that areas with low socioeconomic status may have the greatest correlation of crime with young and adult males, regardless of racial composition
    Remember Redlining?
    A 1996 study looking at data from Columbus, Ohio found that differences in disadvantage in city neighborhoods explained the vast majority of the difference in crime rates between blacks and whites, and two 2003 studies looking at violent offending among juveniles reached similar conclusions.
    "Hagan and Peterson (1995) further propose that the segregation of racial minorities in sections of concentrated poverty contributes to inferior educational and employment opportunities, which, in turn, enhance the likelihood of crime and delinquency.

  15. #95
    TheDynastyIsDead TUSK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In your head.
    Posts
    12,255
    vCash
    1173562
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    This is going to take a while because of how far back it goes and your lack of knowledge.


    First to address your "points". The author of the study says, there is a "inherent bias against blacks by police". So your argument is with her not me. If it has nothing to do with skin color the why did she use the word "Black"? It is a race issue. That's why it's a bias.

    High crime areas are poor areas. Poverty is what drives Crime. Look at the increased crime rate in Appalachia since the mining industry shut down. That region went from a very low crime area, to a high crime and drug use area. Do you think it's the inner city ghetto moving to Appalachia?



    TL;DR Yes, it does. The system was made to keep blacks poor.

    Do some research into how much more policing is done in Black communities that in white, How much more often Blacks are pulled over for minor traffic offenses than white. Read about the black codes, what they are, and why. Learn about the impact of economics and the crime rate. Read about redlining and how that affects the economics, schooling, and poverty rate of an area.

    Let's begin.

    It dates back to Slavery, and is even encoded into the 13th amendment. See the 13th has a slavery loophole. It allows for Slave labor for those in prison.

    So in 1866, one year after the 13th Amendment was ratified (the amendment that ended slavery), Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina began to lease out convicts for labor (peonage). This made the business of arresting Blacks very lucrative, which is why hundreds of White men were hired by these states as police officers. Their primary responsibility was to search out and arrest Blacks who were in violation of Black Codes. Once arrested, these men, women and children would be leased to plantations where they would harvest cotton, tobacco, sugar cane. Or they would be leased to work at coal mines, or railroad companies. The owners of these businesses would pay the state for every prisoner who worked for them; prison labor.

    After the passing of the 13th Amendment, more than 800,000 Blacks were part of the system of peonage, or re-enslavement through the prison system. Peonage didn?t end until after World War II began, around 1940.

    This is how it happened.

    The 13th Amendment declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (Ratified in 1865)

    Did you catch that? It says, ?neither slavery nor involuntary servitude could occur except as a punishment for a crime". Lawmakers used this phrase to make petty offenses crimes. When Blacks were found guilty of committing these crimes, they were imprisoned and then leased out to the same businesses that lost slaves after the passing of the 13th Amendment. This system of convict labor is called peonage.

    The majority of White Southern farmers and business owners hated the 13th Amendment because it took away slave labor. As a way to appease them, the federal government turned a blind eye when southern states used this clause in the 13th Amendment to establish laws called Black Codes. Mississippi was the first state to pass Black Codes. Here are some examples of Black Codes:

    In Mississippi, "An Act to confer Civil Rights on Freedmen". This law allowed Blacks to rent land only within cities?effectively preventing them from earning money through independent farming. It required Blacks to present, each January, written proof of employment.
    Whites could avoid the code's penalty by swearing a pauper's oath. In the case of blacks, however: "the duty of the sheriff of the proper county to hire out said freedman, free negro or mulatto, to any person who will, for the shortest period of service, pay said fine or forfeiture and all costs." The laws also levied a special tax on blacks (between ages 18 and 60); those who did not pay could be arrested for vagrancy. (FYI the top wage in MS for farm labor was less then $2/week)

    In Louisiana, it was illegal for a Black man to preach to Black congregations without special permission in writing from the president of the police. If caught, he could be arrested and fined. If he could not pay the fines, which were unbelievably high, he would be forced to work for an individual, or go to jail or prison where he would work until his debt was paid off.

    If a Black person did not have a job, he or she could be arrested and imprisoned on the charge of vagrancy or loitering.

    This next Black Code will make you cringe. In South Carolina, if the parent of a Black child was considered vagrant, the judicial system allowed the police and/or other government agencies to ?apprentice? the child to an "employer". Males could be held until the age of 21, and females could be held until they were 18. Their owner had the legal right to inflict punishment on the child for disobedience, and to recapture them if they ran away.
    This (peonage) is an example of systemic racism - Racism established and perpetuated by government systems. Slavery was made legal by the U.S. Government. Segregation, Black Codes, Jim Crow and peonage were all made legal by the government, and upheld by the judicial system. These acts of racism were built into the system, which is where the term ?Systemic Racism? is derived.

    This is the part of "Black History" that most of us were never told about.















    Remember Redlining?
    Violent crime rates in Appalachia aren't nearly what that are in poor urban areas... not close. It's more dope, theft, fraud, and the like.

    If violent crime was caused by poverty Appalachia would be a Killing Field.... Like Chiraq, for example...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

    No.


    Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    196
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Violent crime rates in Appalachia aren't nearly what that are in poor urban areas... not close. It's more dope, theft, fraud, and the like.

    If violent crime was caused by poverty Appalachia would be a Killing Field.... Like Chiraq, for example...
    Other causes are the breakdown of the family, single parent homes where gangs are filling the role of father - like father like son and the lack of morality as the bible is not taught at home nor in the schools - since the 1960s that is.

    I aso, like my extended family, grew up very poor in rural Mississippi and we were not gang members, thugs, robbers, murderers or other such criminals. Poverty is an excuse the liberals like to use to justify wealth redistribution - more government programs that are not sustainable and that rob a man of his self esteem. No need to work low income jobs (due to no education or professional skills) when the government will give you the same amount of money to sit on your butt.

    All of the stats Sheldon shows focus only on the symptoms and not the root cause.

  17. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    6,012
    vCash
    1057581
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Violent crime rates in Appalachia aren't nearly what that are in poor urban areas... not close. It's more dope, theft, fraud, and the like.

    If violent crime was caused by poverty Appalachia would be a Killing Field.... Like Chiraq, for example...
    Severe poverty in Appalachia is a recent development, less than 20 years, and already, there is a huge Opiate drug problem. If you read the whole thing, blacks have been in severe poverty since 1866. And when they were successful, the Whites firebombed the neighborhood and slaughtered 1,000's.

    So let's check back in 10 years.

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    6,012
    vCash
    1057581
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Other causes are the breakdown of the family, single parent homes where gangs are filling the role of father - like father like son and the lack of morality as the bible is not taught at home nor in the schools - since the 1960s that is.

    I aso, like my extended family, grew up very poor in rural Mississippi and we were not gang members, thugs, robbers, murderers or other such criminals. Poverty is an excuse the liberals like to use to justify wealth redistribution - more government programs that are not sustainable and that rob a man of his self esteem. No need to work low income jobs (due to no education or professional skills) when the government will give you the same amount of money to sit on your butt.

    All of the stats Sheldon shows focus only on the symptoms and not the root cause.

    You missed the whole fcuking point.

    I knew you would. Your self worth depends on it.

  19. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    196
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    You missed the whole fcuking point.

    I knew you would. Your self worth depends on it.
    I did not miss anything, you never hold the individual accountable for their own actions, you assume, wrongly, that it is societies fault for all of the evils in a person's life, their poor decisions, including making a particular person poor or making him a drug addict. The individual has choices but you do not see that. I hold the individual responsible and you think white people did it and that government is the answer and that it takes a community to raise a child.

    I see a person from the inside out, what kind of character they have in their heart and you look only at external factors, that they are poor and too stupid to get out of their situation so the government MUST bail them out. We have been bailing them our for multiple generations but yet you want to make the same old dumb ass mistakes that have been made for 50+ years!

    And now poor is just not enough but you are defining a new term, like liberals like to do when you call them on their dumb ass idea, extremely poor! You don't realize that when I grew up we were the VERY POOR! And guess what, we pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps, we did not depend on government handouts.

    But you sound just like Obama, the government made the money we have and the individual had nothing to do with it. It was not not our ideas, our hard work, our doing without, our sacrificing, our businesses - it was all given to us by the government!
    Last edited by Extendedcab; 07-06-2020 at 08:55 AM.

  20. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    6,012
    vCash
    1057581
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    I did not miss anything, you never hold the individual accountable for their own actions, you assume, wrongly, that it is societies fault for all of the evils in a person's life, their poor decisions, including making a particular person poor or making him a drug addict. The individual has choices but you do not see that. I hold the individual responsible and you think white people did it and that government is the answer and that it takes a community to raise a child.

    I see a person from the inside out, what kind of character they have in their heart and you look only at external factors, that they are poor and too stupid to get out of their situation so the government MUST bail them out. We have been bailing them our for multiple generations but yet you want to make the same old dumb ass mistakes that have been made for 50+ years!

    And now poor is just not enough but you are defining a new term, like liberals like to do when you call them on their dumb ass idea, extremely poor! You don't realize that when I grew up we were the VERY POOR! And guess what, we pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps, we did not depend on government handouts.

    But you sound just like Obama, the government made the money we have and the individual had nothing to do with it. It was not not our ideas, our hard work, our doing without, our sacrificing, our businesses - it was all given to us by the government!
    There is some "individual accountability", but you seem to either be ignorant of or different to, that there is a system designed to cut the knees off black people in the USA. Only since the 1960's has that system begun to be changed to a level playing field. For a brief time during Reconstruction, the field was level and Blacks were able to be successful. Then the KKK and other like groups began Lynching by the 1,000's and passing Jim Crow laws to, per MS Governor James Vardaman "keep the ******s in their place".

    You seem to be ignorant of how Whites got government handouts. Blacks were excluded from the GI Bill post WWI until the 1960's. The GI Bill allowed 7.8 million white WWII soldiers to go to college. Blacks were not allowed to use government backed loans to buy houses. Remember the Ayers Case? Blacks were rejected admission to MSU, USM, and Ole Miss, due to being Black. There are literally hundreds of other examples.

    You are projecting. I see individuals as individuals. But if what you say is right, why the vast white black wealth gap?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.