Thread: 2020 SEC West summer thoughts

vCash

2020 SEC West summer thoughts

For each SEC West team, what is one early thought you have?

Bama ~ DL will not be as good as the past. lots of unproven guys
    Aub ~ who starts at RB? who is the big rb who gets the bulk of carries in Gus' system? I believe whitlow left, but they signed a typical big back true fresh and can he be #1 rb day 1?
    Ark ~ they will be much better and finish season strong. they will have an identity.
    LSU ~ teams will double team Jamar Chase. Is there another alpha WR to keep the offense wide open?
    MSU ~ 150 completions through first four games to build confidence in our WRs, offensive players. then, see what happens
    OM ~ please make the mistake of playing both QBs first half of season, indecision
    TXAM ~ completely unproven and unknown WRs. I'm seeing a one dimensional offense

everyone's thoughts will definitely change about two weeks from kickoff once we know more.

your turn, early thoughts?

vCash
    Why will Arkansas be "much better"?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    TAMU advantage at QB.
    Bama who knows.
    Auburn see Bama
    LState may lose as many as 5 games
    MState winning record, might get ugly at times, Leach learning curve
    UM and UPIG still looking up at the rest of the SECW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    they had no identity under the previous coach. they have a traditional SEC RB returning in Boyd. They will commit to being physical and run the ball with an OL coach as HC. OL coaches are usually tough guys and pass that onto their players. they quit on previous coach and were soft. Plus, I think their OC Briles is an upgrade from Morris. No, I'm not saying Briles will be incredible, but an upgrade. They were 2-10 last year. I do think they can potentially win 5 so that's my definition of "much better", double wins. Also, they signed 11 4* 2 years ago which were mostly skill guys now going to be sophomores. Plus, they signed several OL in Feb many of whom we wanted who can probably play this year. I think KJ Jefferson or Franks will be serviceable, big physical guys.

Nevada. Ark should win if they just run the ball.
    @ Notre Dame. probably be closer than you think. control the clock.
    @ MSU. MSU should win. godo for MSU since early in season
    @ TXAM ~ always a close game
    creampuff win
    Bama ~ loss
    LSU ~ loss
    Tennessee (after two week layoff). I just don't see UT having an Offense that will walk away from people. I think Pittman has circled this game.
    @ Aub. probably a loss.
    OM. doesn't look good for the webels going to Ark late in season.
    ULM. win
    @ Mizzou. this could be a good one. I think Ark DC is going to be able to gameplan against old team and get the win, motivated.

how did I do? what are your thoughts on SECW?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydawg1 View Post
    TAMU advantage at QB.
    Bama who knows.
    Auburn see Bama
    LState may lose as many as 5 games
    MState winning record, might get ugly at times, Leach learning curve
    UM and UPIG still looking up at the rest of the SECW
    I'm intereted in seeing what happens with the new QB at Bama. Yeah, I know he's highly rated, but he's 190lbs and what does that look like when he gets hit? I kind of think that Mac stays at QB as a manager, and he seems to be a tough guy too, system guy. Just seems like the Bama QBs have gotten hit much more last two years than normally.

On Auburn, I just think Nix is going to really need a RB to make it go. Yes, he beat Bama last year, but that was the damnest game I ever saw. Aub had 2, count them 2, pick sixes and probabaly one of the best FG kickers to play college football in the last decade. Aub losing defenders too but they recruit well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justwin View Post
    they had no identity under the previous coach. they have a traditional SEC RB returning in Boyd. They will commit to being physical and run the ball with an OL coach as HC. OL coaches are usually tough guys and pass that onto their players. they quit on previous coach and were soft. Plus, I think their OC Briles is an upgrade from Morris. No, I'm not saying Briles will be incredible, but an upgrade. They were 2-10 last year. I do think they can potentially win 5 so that's my definition of "much better", double wins. Also, they signed 11 4* 2 years ago which were mostly skill guys now going to be sophomores. Plus, they signed several OL in Feb many of whom we wanted who can probably play this year. I think KJ Jefferson or Franks will be serviceable, big physical guys.

Nevada. Ark should win if they just run the ball.
    @ Notre Dame. probably be closer than you think. control the clock.
    @ MSU. MSU should win. godo for MSU since early in season
    @ TXAM ~ always a close game
    creampuff win
    Bama ~ loss
    LSU ~ loss
    Tennessee (after two week layoff). I just don't see UT having an Offense that will walk away from people. I think Pittman has circled this game.
    @ Aub. probably a loss.
    OM. doesn't look good for the webels going to Ark late in season.
    ULM. win
    @ Mizzou. this could be a good one. I think Ark DC is going to be able to gameplan against old team and get the win, motivated.

how did I do? what are your thoughts on SECW?
    So, Arkansas hired Kendal Briles to run the ball?

vCash
    Alabama will beat State. Alabama will win the west.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Alabama will beat State. Alabama will win the west.
    Alabama may very well win the West because I don't think anyone is better than them in the West, however, I don't think they'll be great this year.

I could see a scenario where the worst Alabama team since 2014 wins the West.

Alabama is worse at QB & on the DL than they have been in years.

vCash
    Hogs are trying hard to build something with new coach. They are going to be tougher and more disciplined than last year. They have landed some surprisingly good skill players. The big question for them is O line. I believe their season depends on how much hard work and discipline can improve a group that was just not very good last couple years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    Hogs are trying hard to build something with new coach. They are going to be tougher and more disciplined than last year. They have landed some surprisingly good skill players. The big question for them is O line. I believe their season depends on how much hard work and discipline can improve a group that was just not very good last couple years.
    I'm going to disagree completely with this until I actually see improvement on the field.

Just because you have a new coach, doesn't mean you will get better.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Alabama - Saban's reign of dominance is over. He will still have really good teams but people don't fear them like they used to. Alabama has crushed people before they took the field in a mental capacity for the past decade. Auburn has been one of the only teams that did not fear them and they have been able to hold their own. Saban is pushing 70 and we are starting to see some minor cracks in the armor. They may win the West but it will be a dog fight and it will come down to the last week of the season more than likely. Parity is a good thing. The West in the 90s and 2000s was so much fun. You had no clue who was going to win before the year started. I think we are getting back to that type of era now.

Arkansas- They upgraded at quarterback and have a good tailback and some receivers. The biggest thing they need to change is culture. Morris was awful and that team quit on him. I expect them to be awful again

Auburn - Lose a ton on defense and the OL. They return a good young quarterback, but will he be enough to carry them? I say no and I think they go 8-4.

LSU - They will take a step back, but they recruit so well that a step back for them will be in the 10-2 range. I don't like their OC hire but the DC hire looks to be solid and I think they will roll out the helmets and win most games

Mississippi - Will have one of if not the worst defense in the P5. They lost most of the DL and had one of their better players on an awful defense hit the portal last week. They are going to be historically bad again on that side of the ball. They will score on offense with Corral and that group of receivers. Kiffin knows offense and will move the ball. 5-7 or 6-6 is likely. Probably start 2-5 so he will have to fight not to lose the team.

State - The transfer portal giveth and take away. I really like our offense. We are going to be extremely fun to watch on that side of the ball. I can't wait. The additions of Lashley, Shavers, and KJ are going to prove to be huge and we are going to see some things most of us never thought possible offensively. On defense, we will not be as terrible as our fans think we are going to be, but it's going to be bad enough to cost us games against good teams. No depth on the DL and no depth in the secondary. I actually love our linebackers. I see us with 8-4 most likely with a shot at 9-3 or 7-5/6-6.

Texas A&M - The aggies come in with high expectations......again.....the aggies will go 8-4....again.... They have the most overrated and overpaid coach in the country. If we upset someone it will be them or Auburn and my money is on A&M. Leach has owned them throughout his career.
    Last edited by Jarius; 06-18-2020 at 09:32 AM.

vCash
    I'm going to disagree completely with this until I actually see improvement on the field.

Just because you have a new coach, doesn't mean you will get better.
    The coach they got rid of had way more locker room issues that State had. They had players openly telling Morris to shut up while he was giving team talks with no repercussion. There was 0 discipline and 0 respect. That is why they laid down so easy in games.

The new coach may or may not be a better X and O coach but he has the player's respect and they are working hard. As I said above, the question is, does the hard work and discipline improve the crappy o-line enough? I don't think they have a chance to be an 8 win team but 4-6 wins is a real possibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    The coach they got rid of had way more locker room issues that State had. They had players openly telling Morris to shut up while he was giving team talks with no repercussion. There was 0 discipline and 0 respect. That is why they laid down so easy in games.

The new coach may or may not be a better X and O coach but he has the player's respect and they are working hard. As I said above, the question is, does the hard work and discipline improve the crappy o-line enough? I don't think they have a chance to be an 8 win team but 4-6 wins is a real possibility.
    I think 4 wins is likely & anything more is cause for celebration. Remember, they traded in Colorado State for Notre Dame

vCash
    Alabama may very well win the West because I don't think anyone is better than them in the West, however, I don't think they'll be great this year.

I could see a scenario where the worst Alabama team since 2014 wins the West.

Alabama is worse at QB & on the DL than they have been in years.
    I think you're right.

Alabama loses to winner of cocktail party in the SECCG.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Alabama - Saban's reign of dominance is over. He will still have really good teams but people don't fear them like they used to. Alabama has crushed people before they took the field in a mental capacity for the past decade. Auburn has been one of the only teams that did not fear them and they have been able to hold their own. Saban is pushing 70 and we are starting to see some minor cracks in the armor. They may win the West but it will be a dog fight and it will come down to the last week of the season more than likely. Parity is a good thing. The West in the 90s and 2000s was so much fun. You had no clue who was going to win before the year started. I think we are getting back to that type of era now.

Arkansas- They upgraded at quarterback and have a good tailback and some receivers. The biggest thing they need to change is culture. Morris was awful and that team quit on him. I expect them to be awful again

Auburn - Lose a ton on defense and the OL. They return a good young quarterback, but will he be enough to carry them? I say no and I think they go 8-4.

LSU - They will take a step back, but they recruit so well that a step back for them will be in the 10-2 range. I don't like their OC hire but the DC hire looks to be solid and I think they will roll out the helmets and win most games

Mississippi - Will have one of if not the worst defense in the P5. They lost most of the DL and had one of their better players on an awful defense hit the portal last week. They are going to be historically bad again on that side of the ball. They will score on offense with Corral and that group of receivers. Kiffin knows offense and will move the ball. 5-7 or 6-6 is likely. Probably start 2-5 so he will have to fight not to lose the team.

State - The transfer portal giveth and take away. I really like our offense. We are going to be extremely fun to watch on that side of the ball. I can't wait. The additions of Lashley, Shavers, and KJ are going to prove to be huge and we are going to see some things most of us never thought possible offensively. On defense, we will not be as terrible as our fans think we are going to be, but it's going to be bad enough to cost us games against good teams. No depth on the DL and no depth in the secondary. I actually love our linebackers. I see us with 8-4 most likely with a shot at 9-3 or 7-5/6-6.

Texas A&M - The aggies come in with high expectations......again.....the aggies will go 8-4....again.... They have the most overrated and overpaid coach in the country. If we upset someone it will be them or Auburn and my money is on A&M. Leach has owned them throughout his career.
    State... 3 non conference with ark and mizzu .. must win all 5
    Kentucky , nc state , ole miss... need to go 2-1
    Aub and AM... we have never lost to both teams at home.. would love to keep that trend going..

7-5 is good ( with OM being one of those 7) anything north of that is gravy.... floor 5 ceiling 9

And with the defense .. we lost some guys true .. but Autry , Gay played in 4 games plus the bowl.
    Gay played against Tenn L and didn’t even make it a half against UK..
    Dantzler for some reason didn’t play against AM ... and knew the whole year he was going pro.. I think that showed up in the draft .. with him dropping

Jones won’t be a loss, Lovett gone will hurt..

The 3 jucos.. are players..Wheat better than Leo , Thomas is NFL talent and Lawson might be the steal of the juco class
    Murphy is more talented than Landrews..
    Peters will have a good year
    Emerson better than Smitherman
    The defense won’t be worse than last year IMO , we have to be very lucky to stay away for the injury bug tho.. Very very young..

Offense will be better , much better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    State... 3 non conference with ark and mizzu .. must win all 5
    Kentucky , nc state , ole miss... need to go 2-1
    Aub and AM... we have never lost to both teams at home.. would love to keep that trend going..

7-5 is good ( with OM being one of those 7) anything north of that is gravy.... floor 5 ceiling 9

And with the defense .. we lost some guys true .. but Autry , Gay played in 4 games plus the bowl.
    Gay played against Tenn L and didn’t even make it a half against UK..
    Dantzler for some reason didn’t play against AM ... and knew the whole year he was going pro.. I think that showed up in the draft .. with him dropping

Jones won’t be a loss, Lovett gone will hurt..

The 3 jucos.. are players..Wheat better than Leo , Thomas is NFL talent and Lawson might be the steal of the juco class
    Murphy is more talented than Landrews..
    Peters will have a good year
    Emerson better than Smitherman
    The defense won’t be worse than last year IMO , we have to be very lucky to stay away for the injury bug tho.. Very very young..

Offense will be better , much better
    I oppose you on basketball but I fully agree with this take.