Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KJ and spring practice

vCash

KJ and spring practice

so, are we essentially getting the opportunity for KJ costello to go through a spring practice and reps since practicing is going to be officially starting after July 4th? That's a big deal. Otherwise, KJ would've officially got his first practice reps start of August when preseason typically starts. Basically getting 60 days of consecutive, official practice reps with coach interaction leading into game 1.

vCash
    Correct.

Our offense should benefit from COVID but the defense will he behind.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I sure hope KJ is the real deal.

We sure are pinning some massive hopes on a transfer that's had zero spring drills, no familiarity with anybody on our team, has been injury prone, and lest we forget, the portal has been largely a disaster for us thus far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post

We sure are pinning some massive hopes on a transfer that's had zero spring drills, no familiarity with anybody on our team, has been injury prone, and lest we forget, the portal has been largely a disaster for us thus far.
    That’s the glass half full outlook I love!!***

vCash

Poor ole msu
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Poor ole msu
    Unfortunately, in this case it's true. I'm sure it's those darn Indians.

vCash

What happened in the past has no bearing on what happens now.

1. No one else has had any spring drills either. Ole Miss has new coaches, Auburn has a new OC, LSU lost Brady, Arkansas has a new staff. We're not the only ones in this situation. At least we start off with four winnable games to get acclimated.

2. We're not going to ask him to run as much as we asked Stevens. That should help. Also I think our o-line could be better this year than last- Stevens was hurt when our LT got beat by a guy from USM.

3. Joe was stupid to not use Zuber more. There is a reason why he was fired and I'm sure that was part of it. Stevens looked OK when he was healthy. Sean Payton decided to use a draft pick on him so that tells me that he sucks a lot less than our expert fans thought.

vCash
    LSU also lost their entire defensive staff.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    LSU also lost their entire defensive staff.
    Plus a Heisman QB and the offensive guru that helped him get that Heisman.

vCash
    KJ isn’t a normal transfer.. look at his numbers.
    Kid came here for one reason to be a first round draft pick

vCash
    I think Leach’s numbers speak for themselves. I will be pretty shocked if our offense isn’t in the top half of the SEC. What we must hope for is a solid defense, and I think we can have one, but it’s really up in the air.

vCash
    Not so worried about KJ, more worried about receivers running into each other.

vCash
    Some people forget that we are getting a massive upgrade at the most important position - and that's at HC. Been a while since that happened here.

vCash

WTH? No, it hasn't. State got from the portal a starting QB who has been projected to be drafted in the first round in the next NFL draft, a 6'6" likely starting wide receiver, a likely starting OL who has played 136 snaps for Alabama, and a really good kicker.

Keep in mind that last season Leach had a QB who was UNRANKED as a recruit pass for over 5,500 yards. The year before that Leach took an average 3-star transfer that MSU and OM didn't want and won 11 games with him and turned him into an NFL QB.

So Costello doesn't HAVE to be a superstar. Having said that, as a recruit KJ was higher ranked than any QB that Leach has ever had and maybe higher than any QB that MSU has ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    WTH? No, it hasn't. State got from the portal a starting QB who has been projected to be drafted in the first round in the next NFL draft, a 6'6" likely starting wide receiver, a likely starting OL who has played 136 snaps for Alabama, and a really good kicker.

Keep in mind that last season Leach had a QB who was UNRANKED as a recruit pass for over 5,500 yards. The year before that Leach took an average 3-star transfer that MSU and OM didn't want and won 11 games with him and turned him into an NFL QB.

So Costello doesn't HAVE to be a superstar. Having said that, as a recruit KJ was higher ranked than any QB that Leach has ever had and maybe higher than any QB that MSU has ever had.
    You can never predict future injuries, but barring any injuries KJ + Leach combo being successful together is about as close to a guarantee as you can get.

vCash
    Damn I?m looking forward to this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    You can never predict future injuries, but barring any injuries KJ + Leach combo being successful together is about as close to a guarantee as you can get.
    That was said about Touchdown Tommy and MoHead as well.

How many times have we grown enough WOOL to knit a million sweaters and then....pfffft.

The transfer portal has done us ZERO favors.

vCash
    That was said about Touchdown Tommy and MoHead as well.

How many times have we grown enough WOOL to knit a million sweaters and then....pfffft.

The transfer portal has done us ZERO favors.
    Costello has a much better resume coming in than Tommy did. And Leach is light years ahead of JoMo as a head coach and offensive guru.

vCash
    Costello and Stevens have almost nothing in common based on their track records prior to arriving at MSU. One was a career backup, the other has thrown for 6,000 yards in his career. Yes Costello had some issues with a hand injury last year, but it’s not nearly the extensive injury history that Stevens had.

vCash
    Costello has a pretty short injury career, it's lot like he's Tua. And Costello finished his last healthy year as the 2nd best QB in his conference, behind only MInshew. Go watch the 2018 Stanford WSU game- KJ was like 34/44, 350 yards, 4 TDs, no turnovers and he threw some dimes.Went through his progressions well too. Led his team from behind to take the lead, D crapped the bed the whole 4th Q so they lost anyway.

I'm not going to say I'm a Costello expert, but he's about 100,000x more proven as a passer, leader, and game manager than Stevens was