Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Voluntary Workouts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Yea but he was a mid 3 star guy and a scholarship player at Vandy. I hear what you're saying, but he's not you're prototypical walk on player.
    Yeah that’s my point. He is no ordinary walk-on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Yeah that’s my point. He is no ordinary walk-on.
    10-4
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I don't think it's just that, thought that's part of it. (It was poor leadership not to deescalate the situation with Gay.) It's also that he is a weapon as a runner so it makes sense that he would be best used on an offense with some called QB runs in the playbook. Not to mention the rumor that he was missing meetings, falling asleep in film and Moorhead had to meet with his parents about his commitment.

If he gets it together and wants to play in this offense, he has the skills to do it and can win the job next year. I promise he has a higher ceiling as a passer than Anthony Gordon, and Leach made him a 5000 yard passer.
    1. Shrader was a FRESHMAN QB who is trying to learn how to be a leader. I'll give him a little bit of a pass on the de-escalation part due to that. Especially if it went down the way I heard it did.

2. I don't buy rumors put out by Sevendust on Genespage. Especially when it went from one thing to the other when called out about it.

3. Moorhead had no accountability for any players except for Shrader? If that was the case then I would hope he had been meeting with Gay's family weekly about not getting personal fouls in games. Talk about double standard. Especially with a guy that was months removed from shoulder surgery who was willing to get helicoptered trying to beat K-State.

4. I also don't buy that someone that was missing practice and sleeping in film sessions was still able to go through his fourth read in the Egg Bowl to find the receiver on fourth down which set up the game winning TD. He's either really lucky or knew the offense pretty well despite missing practice and falling asleep in film study.

5. If Shrader was missing practice it was pretty obvious that he wasn't the only player doing so. I can't fault him while giving others a complete pass on it. A lot of this "lack of accountability" stuff to me sounds more like it was a team wide issue than a Shrader or any individual player issue.

I do agree that Shrader has the skills to run the Air Raid. People need to keep in mind his arm wasn't 100% last year and he was supposed to redshirt. Any accountability issues will be checked by Leach and his staff and I don't think will be an issue one way or the other because if there are any issues Leach will not put up with it. I don't know why any QB wouldn't want to play in Leach's system. He gives the QB almost complete autonomy to run it and he lets them throw the ball 50 times a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    1. Shrader was a FRESHMAN QB who is trying to learn how to be a leader. I'll give him a little bit of a pass on the de-escalation part due to that. Especially if it went down the way I heard it did.

2. I don't buy rumors put out by Sevendust on Genespage. Especially when it went from one thing to the other when called out about it.

3. Moorhead had no accountability for any players except for Shrader? If that was the case then I would hope he had been meeting with Gay's family weekly about not getting personal fouls in games. Talk about double standard. Especially with a guy that was months removed from shoulder surgery who was willing to get helicoptered trying to beat K-State.

4. I also don't buy that someone that was missing practice and sleeping in film sessions was still able to go through his fourth read in the Egg Bowl to find the receiver on fourth down which set up the game winning TD. He's either really lucky or knew the offense pretty well despite missing practice and falling asleep in film study.

5. If Shrader was missing practice it was pretty obvious that he wasn't the only player doing so. I can't fault him while giving others a complete pass on it. A lot of this "lack of accountability" stuff to me sounds more like it was a team wide issue than a Shrader or any individual player issue.

I do agree that Shrader has the skills to run the Air Raid. People need to keep in mind his arm wasn't 100% last year and he was supposed to redshirt. Any accountability issues will be checked by Leach and his staff and I don't think will be an issue one way or the other because if there are any issues Leach will not put up with it. I don't know why any QB wouldn't want to play in Leach's system. He gives the QB almost complete autonomy to run it and he lets them throw the ball 50 times a game.
    It hasn't been just sevendust, there's been multiple people on this board (some of those that actually being credible info) that have brought this up. With that said, I'm willing to chalk it up as him being a freshman and/or him just falling in the the culture Joe was developing, but he still has to get it together.

I've said it before and I'll say it again here now, if Shrader is still on the roster by this time next year it means he's put any accountability issues he might have had behind him. And if that's the case, I think he'll be the starter next year and will hold the job until he runs out of eligibility. At the same time I won't be shocked if over the next 12 months he decides it's not for him.

vCash
    It hasn't been just sevendust, there's been multiple people on this board (some of those that actually being credible info) that have brought this up. With that said, I'm willing to chalk it up as him being a freshman and/or him just falling in the the culture Joe was developing, but he still has to get it together.

I've said it before and I'll say it again here now, if Shrader is still on the roster by this time next year it means he's put any accountability issues he might have had behind him. And if that's the case, I think he'll be the starter next year and will hold the job until he runs out of eligibility. At the same time I won't be shocked if over the next 12 months he decides it's not for him.
    It could go either way with him because I do think he has the raw physical skill to play in the Air Raid. But if not he'll end up at Oregon soon enough. For him to be the starter next year I think that means he doesn't redshirt this year and is the QB2 behind Costello because Leach typically wants a junior or senior at QB. I could see Leach redshirting Shrader and then hitting the transfer portal for another QB next year too and then Shrader starting in 2022 and 2023 as a possibility as well.

vCash
    It could go either way with him because I do think he has the raw physical skill to play in the Air Raid. But if not he'll end up at Oregon soon enough. For him to be the starter next year I think that means he doesn't redshirt this year and is the QB2 behind Costello because Leach typically wants a junior or senior at QB. I could see Leach redshirting Shrader and then hitting the transfer portal for another QB next year too and then Shrader starting in 2022 and 2023 as a possibility as well.
    Shrader is not a pass 1st guy. You can't change his style and expect him to succeed and be comfortable doing so. He doesn’t fit the system.

vCash
    For anyone interested in the accountability under joe as compared to mullen, you should go listen to a 30 minute podcast with Fitzgerald on Noah mashburn's podcast. Go to wherever you get podcast and search for "Behind the Ball." Noah interviews former MSU players and his most recent was with fitz, who was pretty open about dan being "near bipolar" and the lack of accountability once joe took over as compared to dan. It's a good listen.

vCash

He is a gamer. And he deserves credit for being that. He was impressive at times just finding a way to make a play. But he isn?t a passer and never was. He wasn?t worried about a 4th read. 4 reads is wayyyyy too many anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    For anyone interested in the accountability under joe as compared to mullen, you should go listen to a 30 minute podcast with Fitzgerald on Noah mashburn's podcast. Go to wherever you get podcast and search for "Behind the Ball." Noah interviews former MSU players and his most recent was with fitz, who was pretty open about dan being "near bipolar" and the lack of accountability once joe took over as compared to dan. It's a good listen.
    Awesome. Thanks.

vCash
    Just wanted to second this. Fitz is quite candid. 12-minutes in and already well worth a listen for anyone wanting a peak behind the curtain or to get a sense of the player as a person.

vCash
    I listened to it as well. I thought it was a really interesting and good take.

The point he made about Dan and his staff yelling about everything and then you have the contrast of Joe who basically came in and instead of yelling all the time would try to sit down and explain what you were doing wrong and then the players seeing that as weakness was I would have to think very spot on.

He also said that Joe coming in and talking about rings and winning the Heisman was the worst thing he could have done because it set the tone and basically gave our guys the big head and we got away from the we're going to fight whoever comes through that door mentality. And yes, he did mention that Joe should have disciplined some guys more than he did. Of course this would have been year one.

I thought he handled his answers about the 2017 Egg Bowl well too.

It sounds to me like we should have hired someone that was more of a disciplinarian at the start. You know- I think one thing about MSU football that I've noticed whenever we make coaching changes we always seem to do a complete 180 from the last coach. For example- with Dan you have a guy that yells all the time and was very run first so we hire a guy that was more of a player's coach who wants to throw the ball down the field. I think making those drastic changes like that really cause us to make a lot of adjustments as a program and it always seems to take a year or two just because things are so drastically different from one guy to the next or as is the case with Moorhead it didn't work out at all because he was so drastically different. I don't know why whenever we make a coaching change it seems like we have to completely burn down everything from the last guy and do just about everything completely different it seems.

vCash
    This was good, and confirms a lot of what we thought in regards to the culture change with Joe.

Also, I think the record should clearly reflect that DeMarquis Gates was the ole miss player that did the complete and utter bullshit barrel roll into Fitzgerald's ankle. No one teaches tackling like that at any level, it was a non-football move and I'll be forever convinced he was trying to injure him. Speaks tackled him high during the play and and I'm sure that made it worse, but at least it was a football move. Now the tomahawk chop attempt by Speaks on KT was not a football move, so he's still a piece of crap for that, just not the tackle on Fitz.

vCash
    This was good, and confirms a lot of what we thought in regards to the culture change with Joe.

Also, I think the record should clearly reflect that DeMarquis Gates was the ole miss player that did the complete and utter bullshit barrel roll into Fitzgerald's ankle. No one teaches tackling like that at any level, it was a non-football move and I'll be forever convinced he was trying to injure him. Speaks tackled him high during the play and and I'm sure that made it worse, but at least it was a football move. Now the tomahawk chop attempt by Speaks on KT was not a football move, so he's still a piece of crap for that, just not the tackle on Fitz.
    You're right. And honestly I think deep down Fitz knows it was intentional but if he doesn't give the benefit of the doubt I think he knows it would potentially cause him some problems. I don't blame him for taking the high road and I can see his point of view where he's trying run a play and he probably didn't see it happen in real time because one of the guys was going at his feet and he was trying to get around the defender that was upright in his line of sight. But then like he said you see the replay and you see that attempt at a tackle on KT...

vCash
    Any updates on QB's working out with receivers?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Any updates on QB's working out with receivers?
    They have been on there own but most of the meetings are still on zoom

vCash
    Not sure of the names yet but word is we have 2 walk on WRs that are doing extremely well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Not sure of the names yet but word is we have 2 walk on WRs that are doing extremely well
    I thought Jay Banks might be able to help when it was announced he was coming here.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    I think the kid from Tupelo has a chance to help us.

vCash
    Just curious how one would come to this conclusion when they aren't working out together. Not questioning but trying to educate myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Just curious how one would come to this conclusion when they aren't working out together. Not questioning but trying to educate myself.
    Because they are encouraged to work 7 on 7 voluntarily. This goes on every summer. It's how WR and QBs get on the same page. Hearing KJ is a leader